Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no problem at all with air integrated computers. When using a single cylinder it's great. However for me using multiple cylinders with multiple mixes, I'll stick with SPG and appropriate markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on the real reason we use AI is we know exactly what the tank pressure is - 2399 psi as compared to some where around 2300 to 2500.
I like the AI because it evaluates remaining tank pressure and nitrogen loading. I carry a back up SPG and a BUD. Had battery go bad on a dive with limited visibility in Monterey.

One theme on the thread is that having an AI wrist computer doesn't restrict you to only use it. You can use a backup SPG if you wish. Or a backup 2nd AI wrist unit. Or a backup AI console unit, which I do. When I pursued the solo diver cert. (SDI), use of 2 computers was recommended, and so wearing an old VT3 on the wrist & a Cobalt 1 console was easy enough. I probably look at the Cobalt more because I like the large, bright colorful display, but having depth, ATR and current gas in PSI on the wrist at a glance is nice, too. I didn't use the AI function for a long time after getting the VT3, so I didn't get in the habit of relying on wrist AI.

But it's nice. Just like the Cobalt is nice for a range of other reasons that made it worth the $1,200 or so paid at the time.

AI isn't an either/or; it's an optional add-on that can be used as a replacement for an SPG or console.

Worth mentioning that some AI-capable computers can be bought without a transmitter, leaving you the option to add it later (or not) if desired.

Richard.

Just like the Cobalt is nice for a range of other reasons that made it worth the $1,200 or so paid at the time.

Holy moly. $1200. For that kind of money, it better let me send texts and check check scubaboard while I am diving.

I have used an Uwatec Smart tec for ~70 dives and I have never had a sync issue. I also dive with my console as a backup clipped to my shoulder, but I do like that I know an exact number as opposed to reading a gauge. No regrets at all switching to AI for recreational diving, which I think it is the intended market for AI.

I bought mine at the end of the run of the computer and paid $350 including the transmitter. I like the features but I would not have paid full price for the gaillelo or luna version. If I want to upgrade the computer later, at least the transmitter is the same as the new models.

A lot of us embrace new technology, and some prefer the keep it simple approach. At the same time, we do have a vintage section on the forum.

A lot of us embrace new technology, and some prefer the keep it simple approach. At the same time, we do have a vintage section on the forum.

Not having an appreciation for the supposed benefits of wireless air integrated computers is not the same as not embracing new technology. My scooter alone has several features that were introduced after wireless air integrated computers started becoming available. I would spring for a lithium ion battery for my scooter if I could afford it.

If/when my canister light dies, I will likely replace it with a light that has an LED head. My backup lights are both LED.

My next big purchase, if all goes to plan is likely a Shearwater Petrel. Not because it has a lot of whiz bang features but rather, I am told that it is far easier to read than my current computer.

I am on my third Go Pro. Every time they release a new model that has improvements that I can comprehend and appreciate, I usually buy one.

When I buy a new car/dive mobile (hopefully, not anytime soon), I will want to add lane assist and collision mitigation features.

It's not an aversion to new technology that keeps some people away from wireless air integrated computers. It's that for some us, we just don't see the point.

Oh good, the spg is now vintage, darn. Just as I moved into a new 21st Century double hose Kraken, guess I will have to get AI for it. That means all of you guys with your silly single hose antique design vintage regulators are so yesterday, even with a AI thingy.

N

Not having an appreciation for the supposed benefits of wireless air integrated computers is not the same as not embracing new technology. My scooter alone has several features that were introduced after wireless air integrated computers started becoming available. I would spring for a lithium ion battery for my scooter if I could afford it.

If/when my canister light dies, I will likely replace it with a light that has an LED head. My backup lights are both LED.

My next big purchase, if all goes to plan is likely a Shearwater Petrel. Not because it has a lot of whiz bang features but rather, I am told that it is far easier to read than my current computer.

I am on my third Go Pro. Every time they release a new model that has improvements that I can comprehend and appreciate, I usually buy one.

When I buy a new car/dive mobile (hopefully, not anytime soon), I will want to add lane assist and collision mitigation features.

It's not an aversion to new technology that keeps some people away from wireless air integrated computers. It's that for some us, we just don't see the point.

I fully understand your reasoning for not wanting an AI computer, my wife doesn't want one either and shakes her head at me every time we dive. I was in my local dive shop recently and they had the new Suunto computer for 1600, no way would I pay that for a computer, AI or not, especially when the Petrel is half the price and probably twice the computer. He was also pushing that I switch my transmitter to a short hose extension they had so it would clear my shoulder and get a better signal. I could see an immediate entanglement issue with that approach, and if I had to buy the extension to make sure the signal worked, I would have no use for AI either.

I am on my second GoPro and thinking about ditching video and going back to just photography. We all like the sport and have to rationalize our gear choices. For me, I have no need for a scooter because it is not necessary for my warm water reef diving. At the same time, next month I will spend a day diving a rebreather, so the money I do not spend on a scooter could easily end up elsewhere.

Some divers like air integrated computers, hosed or hoseless, and will use them. Some divers do not like air integrated computers and will not use them. To each their own. Can we all dive together?

in almost 1,000 dives I have had 3 sync failures with my Suunto Vytec. I held off for a long time hoping Shearwater would come out with AI, but alas, I am forced to go with a simple Petrel 2. Will I miss the AI options? No, the Vytec will become my backup. Could I live without AI? Sure, but it is/was convenient to have all that info for my download.

Back
Top Bottom