Why the dislike of air integrated computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear a Galielo Sol on my left wrist and a VT 4.0 on my right wrist. The only time I ever had to sync them up is when I first mounted them. I have about 200 dives on them and do not have to sync each dive.

Two AI computers with two transmitters?

And I thought diving a backup SPG in case my Vytec craps out was overkill.

In my early years of diving, I never had a problem with my J-valve. When the SPG came along, I thought to myself, "how nice to know precisely how much gas I have" - I never had a problem with my SPG either. I finally got an AI computer last year (Oceanic OCi). I only have about 70 dives on it, but so far, no loss of sync - and the increased information about the dive is great. I spent many years unhampered by technology and was blissfully ignorant about the advantages of modern inventions. So glad I caught up. BTW I still prefer my Voit double hose regulator - I don't use it anymore, but I do still prefer it.

Cheers

My wife and I dive Aeris T3's AI and can read up to 3 different transmitters. The main reason we bought these several years ago is that they allow us to read each others tank pressure without disturbing each other.

Example - We are reef hooked in Palau watching the sharks and I want to know how much she has left, instead of trying to get her attention or unhooking and swimming over to her, I just push a button on my T3, give it a few seconds to read her transmitter and BOOM, I know as usual she has 500 PSI more than I do.

I got the Aeris CS300 when it came out about a year ago or so. Initially, it would lose sync a lot, but I've sent it back a couple times, and the third time is the charm. It never loses sync anymore. I love having all the information on my wrist, as I often dive with a DSLR and one or both of my hands are often holding onto it.

Because it is another technology solution to a problem that does not exist.
Sure, just like power steering and gas or electric stoves. It's an improvement, not a solution to a problem.

I don't see where they are useful. I've had the same 3 hole console for 30+ years, all the information I need is there. My watch is on my wrist but that's only of limited interest mainly before and after the dive. When I use my compass which is often where I dive, I check my air and depth, when I check my air there's my depth; everything thing I need real time is there on that console. I make my living assembling and testing high tech hardware and software, IMO and experience the technology is not yet ready for use by divers. I like simple and uncomplicated dive gear simple is safety IMO.

You do not use an spg/AI pressure reading to "adjust" your air consumption over the course of a dive. Your biological requirement for oxygen is fixed and not adjustable over the course of a dive unless you plan to restrict your breathing producing a hypoxic condition, skip breathing. Not recommended as it will produce headaches, possible loss of consciousness and may be related to decompression sickness and is a very bad thing to do.

You adjust your air consumption by improving your physical fitness, loosing (body) weight where applicable, improving your diving efficiency, trim and water comfort, reducing unnecessary motion (learning to be still).

N

Perhaps I explained myself poorly. Obviously one can't "adjust" their body's need for O2 on the fly, but what I meant was that ATR allowed me to see when I was breathing more rapidly than I should be if I were calm, correctly trimmed, moving in the most efficient manner, etc. For me it's one more way to identify that I need to pause, investigate why I'm breathing faster than normal, and take corrective action.

While you can't adjust your baseline metabolic need, for me it's a tool to ensure I'm not expending more effort than I should be for a given task.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps I explained myself poorly. Obviously one can't "adjust" their body's need for O2 on the fly, but what I meant was that ATR allowed me to see when I was breathing more rapidly than I should be if I were calm, correctly trimmed, moving in the most efficient manner, etc. For me it's one more way to identify that I need to pause, investigate why I'm breathing faster than normal, and take corrective action.

While you can't adjust your baseline metabolic need, for me it's a tool to ensure I'm not expending more effort than I should be for a given task.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It might just be me but it seems like you are way over-thinking things. This part of diving really isn't that complicated.

You don't need a play by play description from a dive computer to see what parts of the dive you are working/breathing really hard. Any experienced diver who no longer has tunnel vision when diving (and therefore can remember the memorable parts of the dive) will be able to tell you which parts of a dive they had to work hard in. I can tell you that on boat dives, the first 5-10 minutes of a dive I have a higher SAC rate. That's because I have to swim to the anchor line (sometimes against current), form up with my buddies and then descend on an anchor line while keeping the team together. When we hit the bottom, it takes me a minute to get my drysuit properly inflated and my buoyancy dialed in with my BC.

The first 10 minutes of a boat dive, that's were my SAC rate is highest. During the rest of the dive, my SAC rate settles down to something pretty constant. The only time I would expect there to be a spike is if something unusual happens during the dive. For example, if something happens that is serious enough to require significant intervention on my part.

I don't need a technology solution to tell me something like that.

Now, it is conceivable that you could use this tool somehow to get feedback on whether your trim is off or if your finning technique needs improvement. But honestly, stuff like that, a competent buddy would be a better resource. They should be able to tell you if your overweighted or your trim is off or if your frog kick needs improvement. And if I am being honest, the better investment of your money if you have these issues is in training, not gadgets.

Some interesting comments on this thread. Specifically ones about an SPG being more reliable than an AI transmitter.

I dive with AI on an Aeris Epic computer. I also wear an Oceanic GEO2 on my other wrist (or on my BC) as well as a small SPG as a back up. People on boats are always asking me why...

Well I wear two computers (as opposed to just owning two and leaving one in my gear bag) so that if either one craps out during a dive, I still have another fully functional computer monitoring my nitrogen load and NDT. On a multi day trip, it's of very little use to have a second computer that thinks your 19th dive is your 1st.

As far as reliability, I have never had a problem syncing up my transmitter to my computer. I literally jump in the water and as soon as I hit 4 feet of depth, the computer turns on, and the air remaining shows up...totally simple and very convenient. I cannot recall ever looking at that before getting in. I look at my SPG before I splash. If for whatever reason it never syncs up on that dive, I use my clipped off SPG.

One more point on reliability...on a two day dive boat this past weekend, I had the o-ring on the transmitter blow (not when first pressurizing it, but about 10 minutes after it was pressurized and before getting in the water). Simple fix.

Later that same day, the o-ring on one of the interfaces of the back up SPG blew out...just as I splashed and before descending. Another simple fix, although it did require returning to the boat and having one of the deck hands replace the o-ring for me.

The point though is that neither an SPG or AI transmitter is inherently more reliable, as they both have at least one area where a failure can occur...a $0.30 o-ring. In the case of my SPG, there is more than one o-ring...on the AI only one.

So all the talk of it being a "nice to have" and not a "need to have" or a solution looking for a problem is nuts. Convenience is good for convenience sake.

Sure, just like power steering and gas or electric stoves. It's an improvement, not a solution to a problem.

I will agree with you when you can use an AI without a back up standard SPG for any dive, anywhere, any time. Until then, as long as you guys (including me) observe that they go TU frequently enough that a standard spg is recommended as a back up, you can not argue a position that admits an inferiority in terms of reliability.

Last time I checked we only have an electric stove, my wife does not keep a spare gas stove under the counter but many people will definitely state that gas cooks better than electric, so there you go. Most vehicles with power steering will steer, albeit with some difficulty, if the pump fails, can you still read remaining gas with an AI spg function when it fails?

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom