Why the 12hr edit limit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alwayssummer

Fish out of Water
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I hope you won't take offense at a new guy questioning the way you do things, but I'd like to ask..

Why is there a 12hr time limit on editing posts? I like to edit my top post to keep it up to date. For example, in this thread it would be nice to be able to keep the top post updated with the latest information about my trip plans so that it's not spread out across sever pages.

:peepwalla:

Primarily it's because in the past people have posted provocative threads, garnered the expected response and then altered their original posts to make themselves appear innocent.

So the time limit was established. It allows you time to reflect on your post and make edits/corrections as desired before being committed to history. Since SB is spidered nightly by Google and others, posts do become part of the permanent public record.

I could be wrong about this also, but I think it's closer to 24hrs. depending on our system clock updates.

You can always post an update and ask a Mod to merge it into your first post as needed.

You have 24 hours to edit your original post but after 20 minutes you'll see the "Edited by" note.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom