Why such a hassle to get Nitrox in MA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancurrent:
As for the "silly mix" thing... :rofl3:
Oh come on Nik, it is a silly mix, and you know it. At least, you ought to know it if you're training other divers. The only thing asking for EAN38 gets you is something to complain about.

If it isn't silly, explain why not. Nothing I recall from my Enriched Air, Advanced Nitrox, or Trimix training leads me to believe getting EAN38 is worth even the slightest inconvenience when EAN36 is available, but I'll concede that I might be missing something.

Oceancurrent,

Rumour has it...

Lets see you always show up in the shops around your area just before closing with steel non O2 cleaned cylinders and ask for the highest mix you can get....Then you will take these tanks and cross fill to other tanks and go to a shop that gives free air and top them off.

If the store doesn't have banked what you want, the option isn't even there for them to do a partial pressure fill because the tanks aren't O2 cleaned.

So those of us that were trying to figure out why you need 38-40% now know, it's because you are too cheap to set up your own fill station and feel 100% OK with taking adavntage of the shops around you.

Thats the story from the other side, not saying it's true. There are always two sides....

cerich:
Rumour has it...

Ha. Says who? Paul? I wouldn't buy this "rumor" in a lifetime. By the way, my EANx fill for the past 2 years are all in SSD's fill log, which is public domain. If you care to know when, how many tanks, and what percentages I've had, go look through the log. I believe I've only once had one tank with 37. Most of my fills are 31,34, and 36 percent - two tanks at a time.

In any case, what's all the interest with me here? We are talking about EANx and diveshops, no? Sounds to me like the local LDS boys have seen a threat in me (I'll take it as a complement) and have fired up their propaganda.

As for EAN36 vs. EAN38. You got me here - not much difference. However, let's look at EAN36 vs. EAN39 at 70 fsw.

EAN 36 - 70 fsw - NDL 80 min
EAN 39 - 70 fsw - NDL 96 min

Now the whole argument comes down to, are the 16min of bottom time at this depth a silly thing. Perhaps most people won't stay down that long. OK. But how about a 120 cf diver with good breathing rate? 16 min extra bottom time is silly? Maybe. Maybe not. Do we have the right to declare it one way or the other?

That's getting more and more fun. LOL. Where are all the out-of-state folks from the intial posts when we need them most?

oceancurrent:
EAN 36 - 70 fsw - NDL 80 min
EAN 39 - 70 fsw - NDL 96 min

What the heck tables are you using?

39% @ 70 fsw has an EAD of 47 ft....the NDL for 50 ft is 70 minutes.
36% @ 70 fsw has an EAD of 50 ft....the NDL for 50 ft is 70 minutes.
32% @ 70 fsw has an EAD of 56 ft....the NDL for 60 ft is 60 minutes

39% = silly.

Soggy:

39% = silly.

Interesting. I suppose, if you pull out a pair of EAD and Air tables (SSI, PADI, IANTD?) you will end up with tons of roundings and thus the numbers above. I got my numbers off my Oceanic (no pun intended) VT Pro dive computer, which doesn't do any roundings. The Air NDL limits in this computer are slightly less conservative than PADI's though.

oceancurrent:
Sounds to me like the local LDS boys have seen a threat in me (I'll take it as a complement) and have fired up their propaganda.
For someone making a stink about boycotting shops "for the good of the dive community" because they won't give you a silly fill, you sure are throwing around the word "propaganda" lightly.

I've heard similar rumors to what cerich posted, though less specific, and from more than one source.

oceancurrent:
Now the whole argument comes down to, are the 16min of bottom time at this depth a silly thing. Perhaps most people won't stay down that long. OK. But how about a 120 cf diver with good breathing rate? 16 min extra bottom time is silly? Maybe. Maybe not. Do we have the right to declare it one way or the other?
You're right... for a diver with a SAC of .4 and a 120cf cylinder, it may not be silly to use EAN39 for a dive to 70fsw. It's only silly for most divers, not all.

Yes, we have the right to declare whatever we like, though that may not make it so.

OK, I got your points. I don't think we are going anywhere here, so let's stop wasting each other's time shall we?

If nothing else, this threat puts out the facts on which dive shop does what fills at what price (see initial post + Atlantic divers post). Everybody has the right to choose which diveshop to support, so use your heads.

Good bye and thanks for all the fish.

Soggy:

39% = silly.

What i wanna know is

what are you doing with a dive computer. :)

Diesel298:
What i wanna know is

what are you doing with a dive computer. :)

Where did you see the word 'computer' in there? Nik is the one who is getting 16 (!?) extra minutes of time for 3 ft of EAD. I hope he doesn't drop down 2 ft deeper and lose that huge advantage he's getting from 39% nitrox.

Soggy:
Where did you see the word 'computer' in there? Nik is the one who is getting 16 (!?) extra minutes of time for 3 ft of EAD. I hope he doesn't drop down 2 ft deeper and lose that huge advantage he's getting from 39% nitrox.

wopps my bad
i was reading it wrong

i thought YOU had a dive computer for a second there..

all good now :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom