Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl2:

apologies for laughing.

i've never seen Mickey this funny before. :letsparty:
He has his moments.... :D (speaking from the receiving end)

The internet is your friend. After being part of SB, I always look for forum posts and web boards when researching locations I want to go to or things I want to invest in. You get some of the best info from forums - first hand experience and really grass roots.

The current statistics indicate that 80% of the traveling diving public do all of their research for their next dive on the Internet. We will maximize the use of the NET to capture that audience.

:DYou can wear your free diving fins (just watch who you slap in the face!) and we'll become a paying advertiser on SB.:D

Been a while, eh dude? And you can't land boats on the beach anymore for arrivals. Everyone comes in on the south end facing Caticlan and you have to tricicad to where ever you're going. So, the traffic is worse, the sewage is uncontrolled, the white beach is turning brown...it ain't what it used to be, but what is? At least Yapak and the high current dive sites haven't changed much.
Land is now US$350/m2. In 1986 I could have gotten it for $1.

Wow!!! 350% return in only 20 years! Sure beats the stock market! Would have been nice to have had a crystal ball and about $5000 dollars to invest back in 1986 :wink:

A lot of good points in this thread.

Personally, I'd like to see some quality liveaboard boats that could do a Cebu/ Visaya Itinerary. Possible itinerary - board at Cebu City/ Mactan - quick run down to Cabilao Island, then down to Panglao/ Balicasag, Dumaguete, and Apo Island before heading back to drop people off at Mactan. Get an all inclusive Peter Hughes/ Aggressor style high-end boat instead of the bangka safari's that just transfers people from resort to resort. Or maybe a Southern Leyte and Malapascua itinerary? Anilao/ PG/ Apo Reef combo?...

Funny you should say that... I met the owner of a club in Cebu when I was there in November who was planning on doing exactly that. The boat is being built right now. Wish I had the contact info... I'll see if I can get it.

Wow!!! 350% return in only 20 years! Sure beats the stock market! Would have been nice to have had a crystal ball and about $5000 dollars to invest back in 1986 :wink:

Back then, Marcos had just left and Cory Aquino had come to power. The NPA (communist rebels) were still very active all around Panay and there were military checkpoints everywhere. I remember a few full on fire fights between the army and rebels within earshot of my house. I just never thought I'd stay there or that it would become what it has. Then communism collapsed in 1989....I had a wife and kids, business was good and I was still there...and 15 years later I was kicking myself in the butt.

The current statistics indicate that 80% of the traveling diving public do all of their research for their next dive on the Internet....

I'm definitely in that 80%. The internet is how I came to make my first trip to the Philippines last May. My second trip in October was also researched on the internet and also resulted in my finding this board and PPD. My final choice of destination for my third trip next month was decided by the fact that PPD will be in Southern Leyte then, but all my research was done online.

I always say the problem with the Philippines is that there are just to many great places to dive! :) I also say... so many places to dive... so little vacation time to do it in :-(

I'll have to stop for a while after this trip and save up more vacation. Only four more years to retirement :)

It is very important to note that skyrocketing land prices, construction restrictions, poorly monitored sewage and waste disposal have made Boracay into a potentially explosive area of the Philippines. Much of the development that went unchecked is really cutting into the infrastructure of the island. When land goes to PHP 27,000 per sq meter you have to wonder what is going on there. This is a case of developers needing to make responsible decisions about where to build and how to build. We are trying very hard to make our little project as eco-friendly as possible. We need to advertise GREEN in the PI to our North American customers. They are looking for GREEN businesses. My two cents.

they work for magazines...
:wink:
from dictionary.com

"work [wurk] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation noun, adjective, verb, worked or (Archaic except for 35, 37, 40) wrought; working.
–noun
to be employed, esp. as a means of earning one's livelihood: He hasn't worked for six weeks."

So how's your livelihood Mikey?(yes livelihood not the other kind of 'hood) :D

This is a case of developers needing to make responsible decisions about where to build and how to build. We are trying very hard to make our little project as eco-friendly as possible. We need to advertise GREEN in the PI to our North American customers. They are looking for GREEN businesses. My two cents.

100% agree, and hopefully we can educate the locals and help them to preserve as they go along...

As for waste and sewage in Boracay, I don't know where it goes but there must be a very long pipe on some part of the island that discharges waste somewhere.:D I don't like to find out where...what I don't know won't hurt!:blind: LOL

Seriously, I am concerned about waste and sewage management not only in Boracay but in most of the Philippines. It is certainly destroying our rivers and environment. So, if someone running for President in 2010 has an aggressive "Green" and Tourism agenda, I will be cheering for him.

It is very important to note that skyrocketing land prices, construction restrictions, poorly monitored sewage and waste disposal have made Boracay into a potentially explosive area of the Philippines..

It all has to start from the top, i.e. government, the governor, and the mayors. A "Green" law, by-law or mandate has to be in place so Architects, Engineers, Owners and developers will be forced to go green. Without it, no one will care to spend the extra money to go green. In most of North America, there are laws and mandates in place to ensure that all buildings and land developments are green.

This is a case of developers needing to make responsible decisions about where to build and how to build. We are trying very hard to make our little project as eco-friendly as possible. We need to advertise GREEN in the PI to our North American customers. They are looking for GREEN businesses. My two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom