Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bisugo767

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Let's compare the Philippines with Indonesia because in terms of the state of the economy, these two countries are almost the same. Why is Indonesia getting more exposure in the US than the Philippines? I did notice that the Philippines gets more European and Asian dive visitors (side note: some end up as stragglers in Pinas).

Here are my theories to the question above:
1. Most local dive shops do not offer comprehensive packages through major North American dive travel agencies. I only know of one or two dive resorts that do but what about the rest? Indonesia's dive sites are well known by a lot of North American dive enthusiasts. And, most dive travel agencies offer packages to Indonesia.

2. A lot of dive shops are owned by either Europeans or Asians of other nationalities aside from Filipino. They tend to advertise in their native countries, mostly by word of mouth. For some reason (this is just my observation), the Philippines gets more advertising exposure in Europe, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan.

3. We undercharge our dive services to foreign visitors. I believe, there is not that much overhead to be able to afford advertising or marketing our services. To a typical North American or European or Japanese, the rates the local dive shop offer is a basement bargain price. For example, A two-tank dive in Mexico costs around $65 or $75. I believe it is lower in the Philippines. But why are we doing this? If we can provide a comparable or even better level of quality of service. If we charge the correct (i.e. North American or European standard rate, we'll have more money to allow for advertising and marketing. In Mexico, the locals seem get a special Mexican rate to enjoy the resorts normally visited by foreign visitors. We can do the same locally so Filipinos would be able to afford to stay and dive with local resorts/shops frequently visited by foreign visitors. But, since we do not have a national ID system or even a reliable system with a reliable ID card, there is no way to tell if you are indeed a local or a foreign free-loader.

If the local dive shops do charge a comparable fee as the one I quoted above, the shop owners should have a budget for advertising and marketing. With that much money in their hands, could the Owners be holding back and why? The cost of living in Pinas is very low so a $65 to $75 two tank dive will have tons of mark-up on it over the actual cost.

4. Is it the local mentality of "pwede na yan" (translated as: 'that's good enough') combined with the "kanya-kanya' (translated as: 'to each his own' or 'I do my stuff and you do yours') and 'bahala na' (translated as: Que Sera-sera) attitude that is stunting the growth of the Philippine Dive Industry? No one is aiming high enough to be world class. Is this a classic case of, "It's just alright that I eat three times a day and have a good business that provides me with a comfortable existence in the tropics." kind of thing?

5. I also blame the Philippine Government's lame promotion of the local Tourism Industry. The Philippines has a lot of potential. Heck, if they do a good job, they can even beat Thailand. Now, Vietnam and Cambodia are fast becoming tourist destinations when a few years ago, no one is even thinking of visting those places. What the hell is wrong?!!!

I may have some more stuff to say but I will stop here for now. This thead is turning into a rant. The theories above are just based on my observation here in North America as well as my knowledge of the Philippines where I grew up. I may be wrong in some areas because I have not worked in a dive shop nor the travel industry so feedback to correct any inaccuracies are welcome. Again, these are just my personal theories and opinions. They are in no way authoritative so don't take them as definitive. I am just trying to start a discussion.

Phil (bisugo767)

There is also the perception, right or wrong, that the Philippines may be a potentially dangerous place for Americans to visit. Personally that wouldn't keep me away (after all big American cities can be pretty dangerous), but I know of other US divers who have expressed that concern.

There is also the perception, right or wrong, that the Philippines may be a potentially dangerous place for Americans to visit. Personally that wouldn't keep me away (after all big American cities can be pretty dangerous), but I know of other US divers who have expressed that concern.

I have a friend that travels to the Philippines a few times a year. I'm not sure the danger is perception or fact as he said the same thing, and he has some experience traveling there.

I'm quite certain that if I wanted to go, I could hook up with some great folks on SB who would help out a lot with the planning.

Maybe that is another issue. I don't see a lot of marketing at the Travel agencies that is focused on the Philippians. Almost none on their diving. If I go to the agency, and ask about Mexico diving, I get handed a 50 page book on Coz, Cancun, etc. If I do the same for the Philippines, they may not even have a brochure to provide.

Another thing my buddy indicated is that some of the reefs that are more popular, are somewhat wrecked. Over fished, and the coral formations are not that impressive. I believe getting to some of the more pristine reefs requires a bit of leg work and transportation. Again, something not well handled by local travel agencies in the USA.

Most of my information is second hand. Maybe I'll see if I can get my buddy to reply to this thread.

Let's compare the Philippines with Indonesia because in terms of the state of the economy, these two countries are almost the same. Why is Indonesia getting more exposure in the US than the Philippines? I did notice that the Philippines gets more European and Asian dive visitors (side note: some end up as stragglers in Pinas). Phil (bisugo767)

The US Government on the average issues at least once a year a travel advisory to avoid travel to the Philippines . one political incident on the entire country , a travel advisory is issued to avoid travel to the philippines, key word political.
HOwever recent travel advisories has been revised and made specific to the immediate area concerned (i.e. Mindanao or southern Philippines, Visayas , or Luzon)
an improvement.

but , generally, divers living in the Philippines who have no Philippine political leanings are here diving regularly. as a matter of fact when these advisories come out its more or less a holiday so they go diving and let the incident pass.

so basically its those travel advisories and NEWS circulated that makes it apparently prevalent in the Philippines. which is false.

as to wrecked reefs, yes the reefs have been blasted away by dynamite fishing. some are recovering . and the dive industry in the Philippines is , just say in it's growth years in terms of Resort Management and reef conservation.

But just like in diving;

Familiarize yourself with the location (to know the key points and environment)
Use a reputable guide.

both of the above tips, Scubaboard may offer (PPD) in terms of providing some advanced information on weather, social, traffic and political situation in the Philippines. forewarned is forearmed.

maybe Indonesia has more OIL to tap than the Philippines?

Phil,
I say its more of your reason number 2. 95% of the dive operators in the Philippines are European owned that's why most of the dive tourist we get are Europeans. Many Filipinos have tried setting up dive shops or operations but have failed because for the simple reason that a dive operation is not a business that gets you into Forbes. Its a retirement business. Many of the foreign owned dive operations here in the Philippines just break even or at the most make a bit of money, however they survive because many owners are pensioned with UK pounds or Euros. There are however a handful that really make good money.
The diving here is almost the same cost as in mexico at US$65 to 70 for two dives. Sadly the mark-up is not that big though it may look that big (speedboat amortization, compressor amortization, shop hand salary, utilities) and advertising cost a lot. Especially if your trying to advertise abroad as an independent operator.
What the Philippines need is a thematic advertising campaign to promote the whole country. Something like Malaysia's Trully Asia or India's Incredible India campaign that gets aired in major international cable channels (CNN, BBC, etc.). Sadly the only campaigned that we have is Wow Philippines, which in my opinion is not a material that engages international appreciation, its made more for local taste.

Phil,

Sorry to say ... I don't think it's gonna happen. You need something really special to get someone to spend as much time traveling as it takes to get to a Philippine dive site. Right or wrong, the perception in the US of A is that the diving is nice, but not great.

I did two weeks of diving in the PI last year, it was some the best diving I have ever done. And the people were fantastic! I think they are doing a much better job of taking care of what they have, world class diving IMO.
But I do agree they are getting snubbed by US dive industries

Axua, thanks for your insight and feedback. I have never dived in the Philippines but through my research of the various dive operations in the different provinces, I realized that most of them are foreign-owned! And, if you visit their websites, they keep talking about foreign visitors that come from their own native country. I put in quite a bit of marketing research and visited a lot of websites. I would assume that most of them (dive shop owners) are not retirees as they look young like in their late 30-s or early 40's. They can't be all pensioners.

I agree with you that the WOW Philippines! campaign by the Department of Tourism mainly targets Pilipinos living in other countries. How short-sighted! But, we are talking about the sad sate of the government so no surprises. They probably have no money either to further fund a new marketing campaign. I am a technologist by profession but I would love to be part of a delegation that would help promote Philippine tourism.

Once again, thanks for your feedback!

Phil (bisugo767)

Phil,
I say its more of your reason number 2. 95% of the dive operators in the Philippines are European owned that's why most of the dive tourist we get are Europeans. Many Filipinos have tried setting up dive shops or operations but have failed because for the simple reason that a dive operation is not a business that gets you into Forbes. Its a retirement business. Many of the foreign owned dive operations here in the Philippines just break even or at the most make a bit of money, however they survive because many owners are pensioned with UK pounds or Euros. There are however a handful that really make good money.
The diving here is almost the same cost as in mexico at US$65 to 70 for two dives. Sadly the mark-up is not that big though it may look that big (speedboat amortization, compressor amortization, shop hand salary, utilities) and advertising cost a lot. Especially if your trying to advertise abroad as an independent operator.
What the Philippines need is a thematic advertising campaign to promote the whole country. Something like Malaysia's Trully Asia or India's Incredible India campaign that gets aired in major international cable channels (CNN, BBC, etc.). Sadly the only campaigned that we have is Wow Philippines, which in my opinion is not a material that engages international appreciation, its made more for local taste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom