Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny where this thread is headed. Well, I guess you can say that one of the big turn offs for foreign visitors is the country's waste and sewage problem.

So how's your livelihood Mikey?(yes livelihood not the other kind of 'hood) :D

deadline for 5 articles on Tues...

thanks for asking.. :mooner:

While we're on the "GREEN" topic.......
Why doesn't anyone ever mention how a resort handles its laundry, trash, food waste, plastics, etc?? I can tell you why. Most travelers don't ever think about it because they are under the impression that the operator of the facility is doing the right thing. The paying tourist expects the facility is operating within the law and in a responsible manner.:confused: So, here is a challenge.

The next time you go somewhere ask the owners how they handle their solid waste, human waste, plastics and other non-biodegradeables, how they do laundry, and most importantly of all....what are they doing to HELP the environment. :coffee:

Make those things your requirements in your traveling criteria and you will eventually find a place that you really can call GREEN and feel at ease spending your money there. Another 2 cents.

While we're on the "GREEN" topic.......
Why doesn't anyone ever mention how a resort handles its laundry, trash, food waste, plastics, etc?? I can tell you why. Most travelers don't ever think about it because they are under the impression that the operator of the facility is doing the right thing. The paying tourist expects the facility is operating within the law and in a responsible manner.:confused: So, here is a challenge.

The next time you go somewhere ask the owners how they handle their solid waste, human waste, plastics and other non-biodegradeables, how they do laundry, and most importantly of all....what are they doing to HELP the environment. :coffee:

Make those things your requirements in your traveling criteria and you will eventually find a place that you really can call GREEN and feel at ease spending your money there. Another 2 cents.

Problem with this one is that these things cost money, and we end up back where we started, at pricing. A truely eco-friendly place is not going to be the cheap one in the area. Indiana Jones(to use a previously sited example) probably isn't so huge on recycling etc...

and Mikey, good to hear you're getting paid, so I'll see you here next month? :wink:

Pricey??? Okay, here is the real cost. Do things wrong, burn up the environment and there will be no where to go. It is simple. Time to change our mentality as operators and customers. We love the underwater world very much and our beloved surface world as well....SO DO THINGS TO FIX IT!

We are doing it right by building right and can still keep prices in the affordable range.

Pricey??? Okay, here is the real cost. Do things wrong, burn up the environment and there will no where to go. It is simple. Time to change our mentality as operators and customers. We love the underwater world very much and our beloved surface world as well....SO DO THINGS TO FIX IT!

We are doing it right by building right and can still keep prices in the affordable range.

Of course you are doing it right, why wouldn't you be?

The point is that a number of people said don't put the price up if you want me to keep coming. If they find out that the place they are staying has no eco policies, they cannot expect that place to implement them without it effecting the rates.

Ah, I see what you mean. Well, maybe it is time for the customer to pay. I dunno, hard to solve.

Why do you find that funny? This is serious business. This is our home we're talking about!

i find it funny because it is funny. i couldn't help it, BabyD, the English Humour always makes me all happy and gay.

but while we are at this, all i have to say is that it all depends on how resort business can afford to invest... that thing about waste management. of course, you cannot expect a Php500/night resort having applied one of those advanced waste management policies. there's just no revenue and cost matching logic there.

and i agree with Matt, for us, backpackers, we are not really that interested how efficient or how advanced the resort is when it comes to waste management. irresponsible or not, we really do not care that much at all. seriously. as long as i do not see the waste and smell it, it is not going to bother us. and that is the fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom