Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too bad. It is the lack of caring from the public that creates the problems that exist today. Maybe when your kids can only read about SCUBA diving and ask you how it was you will remember what you wrote. Living "in the now" is pretty irresponsible.....I am disappointed.

oh, chill, BabyD.

its not like vandalizing corals or sawing a giraffe's head off.

admit it, you can do so much more for the plight of the scuba diving industry in this country (with your money) than putting up a posh resort with advanced waste management system.

We will not be "posh". We are and will be responsible. The lack of waste management is causing cesspools like X-place (not to be named) and Y-place (not to be named) to exist. I know many owners (personally) that are trying to get their waste management under control......but sadly some don't give a rip! So, it is important and is something to be concerned about. Look at your own country's Environmental Compliance Certificate laws.....the standards are there and have been there for a long time. So, get educated and protect our beautiful country. Vote "GREEN" everytime!

Problem with this one is that these things cost money, and we end up back where we started, at pricing. A truely eco-friendly place is not going to be the cheap one in the area. Indiana Jones(to use a previously sited example) probably isn't so huge on recycling etc...

This is truly a paradox. The best places to dive tend to be the remote ones. But, they're also the ones without a tax base and civil organization to deal with public installations such as sewage treatment, roads and maintenance etc.
The Philippines has two economies. The real one with paychecks and tax deductions. And the sub economy of sari sari stores, ya yas, maids etc, that pay nothing but are a fair sized segment of the big picture.
But I would guess that with the big installations going in in places like Boracay, that Shangri La and those types will invest in some infastructure. They don't want the negative image to hurt their multi million $$$$ investment.

Excuse me, this is somewhat a long post. I am just all fired-up with this 'green' thing.

and i agree with Matt, for us, backpackers, we are not really that interested how efficient or how advanced the resort is when it comes to waste management. irresponsible or not, we really do not care that much at all. seriously. as long as i do not see the waste and smell it, it is not going to bother us. and that is the fact.

Mags, no, tell me I am not reading this from you. I do not believe that you are one of those who don't care for the environment. For someone who appreciates the great outdoors and underwater sights...this is truly a sad revelation. Sadly not all backpackers will agree with you about your "don't care" attitude. If the young 'uns like you think this way, I do not know what the world would be in the near future.

I remember when I was young, our family would take beach vacations to Batangas. I have had unfortunate incidents of swimming along side floating feces the size of large weiner and it was not funny.

We will not be "posh". We are and will be responsible. The lack of waste management is causing cesspools like X-place (not to be named) and Y-place (not to be named) to exist. I know many owners (personally) that are trying to get their waste management under control......but sadly some don't give a rip! So, it is important and is something to be concerned about. Look at your own country's Environmental Compliance Certificate laws.....the standards are there and have been there for a long time. So, get educated and protect our beautiful country. Vote "GREEN" everytime!

BabyD, I salute you for your green initiatives and your conscious desire to address this issue on your resort project. There are books on Amazon that talk about waste and sewage management without too much expense. I can help you acquire material that would help you develop your eco-friendly waste management system. It has always been on my mind to acquire a small piece of beach front property in the Philippines and start my own small resort. I have thought about waste management and the lack of municipal infrastructure to address this problem. The solution is to recycle waste either make it into fertilizer or irrigation water, to name a few. There are also books on how to build buildings using green materials. Just let me know, I will be glad to help.

To tell you the truth, I sounded just like Mags before I left the Philippines to work abroad back in the early 90's. When I came back, I got turned off by the pollution problems and it was one of the reasons why I left and settled in Canada. Here in Canada, I became aware of the importance of being "Green". Recycling and proper waste management is a big thing over here. This is all for the sake of keeping the environment intact for the future generation. Also, fulfilling our role as responsible stewards of the Earth.

Now, for high-end resorts like Dos Palmas, I salute them for going out of their way to upgrade their sewage treatment plant. I guess they don't have any choice. If they don't, then this means all that sewage just goes to the ocean around their island.

Just my looooong $0.02 cents....

oh, chill, BabyD.

its not like vandalizing corals or sawing a giraffe's head off.

Ummm, this is nothing perosnal but I think you should think about this a little more. Improper waste management will kill ocean life and the environment even if you think all solid waste goes into a landfill or sewage goes into the rivers. This is much worse than vandalizing corals and sawing off a giraffe's head.

This is truly a paradox. The best places to dive tend to be the remote ones. But, they're also the ones without a tax base and civil organization to deal with public installations such as sewage treatment, roads and maintenance etc.
The Philippines has two economies. The real one with paychecks and tax deductions. And the sub economy of sari sari stores, ya yas, maids etc, that pay nothing but are a fair sized segment of the big picture.
But I would guess that with the big installations going in in places like Boracay, that Shangri La and those types will invest in some infastructure. They don't want the negative image to hurt their multi million $$$$ investment.

Paradox, yes, to highest degree! Build something that leaks waste water into the ocean in the US and you will be Bubba's girlfriend and cell mate for 2 to 5 years! This is such a serious issue that the remaining reefs in the Philippines will die from pollution long before global warming gets them! The only way it will get fixed is if the consumer shuns the non-compliant operators by spending their money only at compliant facilities.
I am amazed when I hear divers say they are more worried about their "money" and "their" cheapest value .......this is a sign that our industry has done a poor job of teaching our new divers their responsibility to and for the environment. Maybe the older, more seasoned guys can set them on the right track. :D

We will attract North American customers (and Euro, and Asian) by advertising the local attractions. We are and will follow every law to the letter, we will spend almost $100K more to be green and we'll like it. We know that we have to preserve what is left. We are still guests in this country and we will act as such. Our employees will be eco-aware. We will provide the local schools PROJECT AWARE training (IAW with GMA's initiatives). We will meet with barangay, SB and SP members (again) to carry the fight to the next level. Awareness is the only way we will ever get the public onboard.
I had a very interesting discussion with our SB members 2 weeks ago. They are fully aware of the challenges that exist with our marine environment. Tough challenges need to be addressed. The problem always seems to be money. The Municipal government is working hard to increase their tax collections to pay for necessary things. We'll see what happens. No matter what, we'll do our part and more.

Pardon the interruption but I just want to state categorically that I have never sawn off a giraffe’s head. I can not speak for any other forumers though.

Back
Top Bottom