Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I wouldn't blame the current condition of Manila Bay on backpackers :wink:.

I posted that photo partly in jest, but it does touch on what I think Maggie is trying to convey - that it's easy for those of us from developed countries to lecture on what needs to be done to make a country green, but we tend to forget that a lot of developing countries are struggling with just the pollution created by their own rapidly increasing population. In a country where a majority of its denizens are still under poverty, forget about expensive recycling plants, sewer system, alternative fules, etc... These people are just trying to make ends meet, some fresh drinking water,and some food on the table for their families.

That being said, I applaud those who are taking their own green initiative when building their resorts/ businesses and I think there will be enough environmentally conscious tourists to reward their efforts. At some point, those other businesses who have the "bahala na" attitude towards all this will find it will bite them right on the arse in future... It seems we keep hearing more and more about questionable water quality in Boracay and even Sabang Bay from the excessive development and lack of sewage planning. At some point, if unchecked, they're going to find their guests aren't coming back...

How did this thread change to become young vs old? I would say when you look around online, some of the most active people in conservation are under 35. Sure, littering in the highstreet can be attributed to teenagers, but in general young adults are far more passionate about the environment than old farts.

And Backpackers probably cause less environmental impact in terms of carbon footprints than those of you that go to the Shangri-la and get private transport in and around town. How many old folks drink imported evian water etc?

Just because young folks can't afford to make the choice to stay in an environmental resort doesn't make them the cause of all this. Shame on the people that could afford to do more and do not.

Seeing as though this thread has gone silly already, i don't mind sharing my solution: If you really cared you wouldn't take a dump for your whole time in the Philippines and only go when you got back home, either that or store it all in plastic bags and take it home with you... now there is a solution! :p

i don't mind sharing my solution: If you really cared you wouldn't take a dump for your whole time in the Philippines and only go when you got back home, either that or store it all in plastic bags and take it home with you... now there is a solution! :p

how would you classify that with customs? exotic stuff?

ps - yes Simon, that is THE solution! you ought to leave one bag for remembrance though.

Pak, this is what happens when backpackers don't care where the garbage goes...
Good point. I never realized it provided so many people with jobs. :popcorn:

how would you classify that with customs?

oh, just let the customs officer open it himself to examine it... :mooner:

But Simon, pls don't put that bag in the overhead compartment above me...
shtrain.gif

potty.gif

oh, just let the customs officer open it himself to examine it... :mooner:

But Simon, pls don't put that bag in the overhead compartment above me...
shtrain.gif

potty.gif
you and simon going on a little boys holiday mr pak? or is he actually your gf?

Seeing as though this thread has gone silly already, i don't mind sharing my solution: If you really cared you wouldn't take a dump for your whole time in the Philippines and only go when you got back home, either that or store it all in plastic bags and take it home with you... now there is a solution! :p

I'd like to see you clear Sydney customs with those plastic bags! *L*

I suppose that is why they have the last minute dump bins...

umm, Mike, don't make me post that pic of you and Simon... :eyebrow:
i have a better one...

Maggie will just love it, she likes pink..

How did this thread change to become young vs old? I would say when you look around online, some of the most active people in conservation are under 35. Sure, littering in the highstreet can be attributed to teenagers, but in general young adults are far more passionate about the environment than old farts.

Who'r you calling an old fart, Junior? I think Maggie is only...28? And what makes you think old farts only stay in the Shangri La? Come dive with me. I'll take you to Boy's "Anani'i Hilton"....we'll see how you like it.
And passion in youth is normal. Then they have to get a job and take care of kids and business just like the old farts. When you get older you tend to accept reality...before you go crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom