Why our Dive Industry does not get too much exposure in North America?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pak, this is what happens when backpackers don't care where the garbage goes...

Sigh....if only it were that simple......

Well I wouldn't blame the current condition of Manila Bay on backpackers :wink:. ...

Just joking. You know I was just trying to pull someone else's leg.:wink:

- that it's easy for those of us from developed countries to lecture on what needs to be done to make a country green, but we tend to forget that a lot of developing countries are struggling with just the pollution created by their own rapidly increasing population. In a country where a majority of its denizens are still under poverty, forget about expensive recycling plants, sewer system, alternative fules, etc... These people are just trying to make ends meet, some fresh drinking water,and some food on the table for their families....

You see, this is the point I have been trying to make. Being 'Green' does not really mean expensive recycling plants, sewer system, etc. All of this expensive stuff will follow eventually. However, there are a lot of ways of being 'Green' without that much or no expense but just a change of attitude. For example: (1) Sort garbage. Wet biodegradable waste can be used for fertilizer. Glass, plastic bottles, and batteries disposed of separately from landfill stuff. (2) Bath water can be used for irrigation. (3) Replace incandescent lamps with power saving fluorescent lamps (4) For vehicles, regular emissions inspections and the use of catalytic converters which I believe is already being implemented over there. (5) Use more bio-friendly building materials. (6) Flush-free urinals that reduce the use of water. These things don't cost that much especially if they are manufactured locally.

Yes, we are not going out and changing the world. This is impossible but if every person does his or her own part and starts to think 'green', we can significantly reduce the waste in Manila Bay, for example. I admire Panay Explorers for taking that first step in initiating a 'green' plan. If all these businesses make take these small steps, the government will soon be pressured to take the big steps (the one that requires $$) to ensure that 'green' initiatives are all in place.

That being said, I applaud those who are taking their own green initiative when building their resorts/ businesses and I think there will be enough environmentally conscious tourists to reward their efforts. At some point, those other businesses who have the "bahala na" attitude towards all this will find it will bite them right on the arse in future... It seems we keep hearing more and more about questionable water quality in Boracay and even Sabang Bay from the excessive development and lack of sewage planning. At some point, if unchecked, they're going to find their guests aren't coming back...

I agree with you 100%. However, being 'green' is not merely to please the eco-friendly tourist but to protect what is left of our environment so everyone will have something to enjoy. Yes, the Philippines is now plagued by this waste and sewage problem due to over population but if everyone is aware that they have to do their fair share of being 'green', then the whole nation would have taken a big step in being 'green'.

I just want everyone to know that I am not a "joe know it all' or "holier than thou" kind of person. I am not here to indoctrinate anyone. I am not pro-US or pro-Canada. I have no political agendas. Contrary to a PPD member's belief, I do not live in a Palace. People tend to perceive me as such because they do not know who I am. I do not have the benefit that most PPD members enjoy in this sub-forum by knowing and being familiar with each other. You have to give me the benefit of the doubt. The one thing I share with every PPD member is having the heart and soul of a Pilipino. I am just a well-travelled person who had the opportunity to live in several countries and, yes, mingled extensively with the locals. All the posts in this sub-forum that I have made so far reflects the things I have learned and seen abroad. If I can introduce this idea or good news to help my mother country and my fellow countrymen improve in any way then why not? What good is wisdom if you keep it to yourself. Only fools don't appreciate the value of wisdom.

Finally, since I am new to the PPD community and I do not know any PPD member personally, I encourage you to ask me questions about myself to get to know me better and understand where I am coming from in terms of my thoughts and words. My intention is to start a healthy and constructive dialogue among you guys and not to crucify anyone or any group in particular. One of the basis of a healthy discussion is challenge ones thoughts and opinions so don't get offended. If you feel you don't want to participate because the issue is dumb or stupid then don't respond. No stress, no grey hairs...:)

:DI Love You All Of You!!!!!!:D
Good discussion here. The "VIEWS" is starting to look like MOF!!!!

.......Yeah! Us older, seasoned folks like being older and seasoned!

I read through all of the posts again. There is a trend in the discussion. Since this issue is important to our business, I am inclined to understand the issue better. As for the American clientele being afraid of traveling in the Philippines, BUNK! That is not an issue. As for the diving not being that good in the Philippines, DOUBLE BUNK! That is beyond NOT TRUE! It seems that the biggest deterent is our folks (reads: operators in the Philippines) simply do a ****TY job of selling our product to the US market. I need to dig into that. If anyone knows of or has experience with a US travel agency doing business in Asia let me know....please. As for the GREEN issues, the $50K-$100 per year income diving customer is a very smart consumer and will spend GREEN everytime! This trend will eventually permeate all of society and we can then right some wrongs. Be cool.

Hahaha, having met her i thought she was mid-to-late 30's

:rofl3::D:rofl3::D:rofl3::D

Hahaha, having met her i thought she was mid-to-late 30's :mooner:

arse. :D i can put on one of 'em catholic high school uniforms and join a junior hs class and pretend i know nothing better and shut up my mouth, i can very well fit in. thank you very much.

bahhh, simon, don't be so bitter now. im sure there are other Filipina girls who would want to grab the chance to date you. :14:. no need to bash me or my age. :rofl2:

.....uh.....WOW

arse. :D i can put on one of 'em catholic high school uniforms and join a junior hs class and pretend i know nothing better and shut up my mouth, i can very well fit in. thank you very much.

bahhh, simon, don't be so bitter now. im sure there are other Filipina girls who would want to grab the chance to date you. :14:. no need to bash me or my age. :rofl2:

Hahaha,

I have an Indonesian one now, fortunately nowhere near as aggressive and noisy as you and Iris! I guess it much be a Dutch influence vs Spanish influence thing... :mooner::mooner::D

Last time i left the PI i had a ringing in my ears for 2 weeks - There will be a thread by Zee soon.... 'Maggie gave me tinnitus' :rofl3::rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom