Why NOT to make DIR forum opt-in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It used to be opt-in IIRC

Why did they change it? Maybe we could learn something from someone else's experience.

Incidentally, I don't think making this forum "opt-in" will make the bar fights go away. I think they will just move to someplace like the general forum. Which is fine by me. Then, people can at least come here and get the "word" from something that remotely resembles the horse's mouth.

As long as you have "True-Believers" you'll have acrimonious discussions.

I think the problem is the with the "True UN-Believers" that feel it is their job to come to the DIR forum and stop people from learning, being led astray, and try to disrupt the forum.

I don't think that's the issue, Phil ...

If your neighbor's dog made a habit out of coming over to your yard to take a dump, would you think that's OK?

That's pretty much what a few of y'all insist on doing.

If the "True-Believers" really bother you ... don't insist on playing in their sandbox.

Is that a difficult concept to get ahold of?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PS - and no ... the DIR forum was never opt-in. Before the Great Purge, there were enough mods with DIR training to keep an eye on things in here. Most of 'em got "unmodded" in one single event.

PS - and no ... the DIR forum was never opt-in. Before the Great Purge, there were enough mods with DIR training to keep an eye on things in here. Most of 'em got "unmodded" in one single event.
Really? I'm not so sure.

I thought I remember that you had to go to the group membership page and click it. It was when you could be identified as a DIR Diver.

"True-Believers". Huh, as though we are incapable of independent thought?

Yet another example for Doc Intrepid as to why opt-in is the only answer. As long as it includes selective opt-out for posters who insist on these "True-Believers" type comments.

Honestly, I really don't care what Thal thinks about me, I'd just like the option of not having to read about it in this particular forum.

John

I think opt-in would be a very good start. It would cut out 50% of the problems.

Banning a few select people from the forum would cut out about 90% of the noise.

Moving obvious non-DIR topics out of the forum would cut the chatter down to 95%.

I think most of us could put up with the remaining 5%. All of this would still avoid concerns about over-moderation, how to edit posts to keep their "DIRness", or who is worthy to make those judgments.

Incidentally, I don't think making this forum "opt-in" will make the bar fights go away. I think they will just move to someplace like the general forum.

*exactly*.

i'm just tired of every single DIR thread degenerating into a bar fight.

This is exactly the type of material and attitude that has no place here. Thal you have no DIR training, you aren't looking to take DIR training, you continue to post non-DIR answers to other people's questions, and you post slights and digs against those of us who do have the training and experience to potentially make this a helpful place.

You would be one of the 90% I recommend for removal.

*exactly*.

i'm just tired of every single DIR thread degenerating into a bar fight.

Right now there's no place for real DIR divers to go to here. If the fights move to general scuba that's fine with me cause I don't frequent that place for a reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom