Why NOT to make DIR forum opt-in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think the lack of opting in is the problem. I think the lack of opting out is ... there are a handful of people who obviously should be prevented from posting here. If about a half-dozen people got their anti-DIR attitudes permanently vacationed from this forum, about 90 percent of the muck that gets flung here would disappear.

The real problem is that ScubaBoard is no longer predominantly a place where people come for information ... it's predominantly a place where people come for entertainment. And some of the most active posters entertain themselves by lobbing stink bombs at anything they disagree with. DIR just happens to be one of those topics that attracts people with strong opinions ... and since the anti's have been given such a free hand to dominate the discussions here, they've taken advantage of it.

Can't say's I blame them, really ... it's human nature. But IMO, it's the lack of enforcement of the existing rules that have made such a mess out of this place. To my concern, the solution is obvious and simple ... when someone starts disrupting a conversation with anti-DIR rhetoric, then remove their ability to post here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think the lack of opting in is the problem. I think the lack of opting out is ... there are a handful of people who obviously should be prevented from posting here. If about a half-dozen people got their anti-DIR attitudes permanently vacationed from this forum, about 90 percent of the muck that gets flung here would disappear.

The real problem is that ScubaBoard is no longer predominantly a place where people come for information ... it's predominantly a place where people come for entertainment. And some of the most active posters entertain themselves by lobbing stink bombs at anything they disagree with. DIR just happens to be one of those topics that attracts people with strong opinions ... and since the anti's have been given such a free hand to dominate the discussions here, they've taken advantage of it.

Can't say's I blame them, really ... it's human nature. But IMO, it's the lack of enforcement of the existing rules that have made such a mess out of this place. To my concern, the solution is obvious and simple ... when someone starts disrupting a conversation with anti-DIR rhetoric, then remove their ability to post here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I honestly think that a lot of people wouldn't join the DIR forum in a opt-in scenario because they wouldn't want there profile to show that they belong to the DIR forum. I think this by default would help in keeping some of the worst offenders out.

How is the solo forum? Are people that go in there preaching about how you are going to die for solo diving booted from the forum? Maybe I should join the solo forum and see how long it would take to get booted :D

Seems like a bunch of people have been banned recently, or else decided to keep quiet. Have threads been going more smoothly lately? I think they have.

Lately there have been a few threads by DIR doubters, or fence-sitters, who like some things about DIR, but not enough of it to commit to it. Those threads got moved, or deleted.

I think this level of moderation is what's needed at the moment, and will eventually result in a productive DIR forum. Making it opt-in might help, but may not remove the necessity for active moderation. I vote for giving the mods some time to have an effect.

I would vote for an opt in forum. I am DIR curious and the folks causing the problems in the forum were enough to keep me out of this forum for a long time. I came and saw all the fighting and decided I just didn't need the hassle of it all.

I think having the forum open to all does a dis-service to people who are new and really want to learn. There is enough as a new diver to sort out any way and when you let the the trolls stay it isn't helpful at all.

How is the solo forum? Maybe I should join the solo forum and see how long it would take to get booted :D

You can't rattle the solo divers. They're the "soul surfers" of diving.

I don't think the lack of opting in is the problem. I think the lack of opting out is ... there are a handful of people who obviously should be prevented from posting here.

I got banned from the DIR forum because Danial f Aleman posted saying something about the Borg collective (guess who post he followed)

I then posted "No, its more like Scientology"

Sometimes, people take this stuff way too seriously

I got banned from the DIR forum because Danial f Aleman posted saying something about the Borg collective (guess who post he followed)

DUDE, THAT is why you got banned?!?!?!?!?

:rofl3:

Good thing you've not a scientologist, they'd have you shunned for comparing them to the Borg.

PFFTTHH, I was banned from dstop after 1 post.

You obviously understand DIR but since you only post smart@$$ answers I can't tell if you actually dive DIR. Serious question, do you?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom