Why Not the North Hotel Zone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Despite having been going to Cozumel many, many times over the last 25 years, I have to admit that until reading this thread, I was not aware of ANY other dive ops, other than Aldora at Villa Aldora, that picked up in the North Hotel Zone. I've never seen any reviews of Pepe Scuba Diving on this forum, or any other place, and I've always avoided the North Hotel Zone because of the perceived lack of any convenient dive operators. Long boat rides don't bother me a bit, and I really don't care about whether an Op has "the fastest boat." I'm much more concerned about quality time under water - are the DMs experienced and knowledgeable? Does the Op offer larger tanks, Steel 120s or at least AL 100s? Can I get Nitrox in a bigger tank, or am I stuck with an AL 80 if I want Nitrox? What about bottom times; can I dive my tank and my computer, or will I be forced onto a fixed dive schedule - first dive, max depth 90', max time 45 minutes? Can I get on a boat with experienced divers, or (as a single diver) will I get buddied up with a newbie? Has anybody here had any experience with Pepe Scuba Diving? If I decided to try the North End, is Pepe Scuba Diving a realistic choice, or is it primarily for newbies who end up at El Cozumeleno on a package deal?
I have been diving with Pepe scuba and staying at the coral Princess for the last 5 years, The DM are great they know the dive sights and let you dive your computers,as for steel 120s I may be mistaken but I believe I have seen a coiple at the shop before, Have also gone to Cozumel on a solo trip and stayed in town and Pepe scuba has picked me up at a few different piers.

Despite having been going to Cozumel many, many times over the last 25 years, I have to admit that until reading this thread, I was not aware of ANY other dive ops, other than Aldora at Villa Aldora, that picked up in the North Hotel Zone. I've never seen any reviews of Pepe Scuba Diving on this forum, or any other place, and I've always avoided the North Hotel Zone because of the perceived lack of any convenient dive operators. Long boat rides don't bother me a bit, and I really don't care about whether an Op has "the fastest boat." I'm much more concerned about quality time under water - are the DMs experienced and knowledgeable? Does the Op offer larger tanks, Steel 120s or at least AL 100s? Can I get Nitrox in a bigger tank, or am I stuck with an AL 80 if I want Nitrox? What about bottom times; can I dive my tank and my computer, or will I be forced onto a fixed dive schedule - first dive, max depth 90', max time 45 minutes? Can I get on a boat with experienced divers, or (as a single diver) will I get buddied up with a newbie? Has anybody here had any experience with Pepe Scuba Diving? If I decided to try the North End, is Pepe Scuba Diving a realistic choice, or is it primarily for newbies who end up at El Cozumeleno on a package deal?

I don't personally know Pepe, but I seem to recall them being mentioned a bit:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/500222-dive-op-roll-call-post7328597.html#post7328597

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cozumel/500656-hotel-choice-post7334447.html#post7334447

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...losed-remodeling-post7250400.html#post7250400

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...th-29th-aldora-casa-mexicana-post7112309.html is just a few.

And lets face it on the rest of your requirements, you kinda limit yourself to just a few ops.

Steel 120s are limited to 2 ops? 1 more with low pressure?

EVERYONE one can get 100AL air. Of course they all are short fills from the big air companies.

Does anyone except the steel people offer nitrox in a bigger than 80L tank? Those are pretty specific.

I dive 80 AL nitrox only. Pretty much all of my dives in Coz this year run from 1hr 5 min to 1hr 36 min. The wife usually runs 10-15 minutes longer than me. Sometimes she just quits as she is cold. I am ok with those BTs. I would hate to run a steel 120 and have to bring back half of it. Leave me alone until my computer or gauge says I am out. Now back when I was an airhog, I seriously almost bought a set of 120 steel.

I'm just saying there are a lot of reasons people dive with different ops. And doesn't Scuba Du pick up in the north? Don' they have the concession at B and the Cozumeleño? Who else has boats at Abrigo? There must be more.

Pepe's seems a little expensive unless you have a multiday package, but their night dive rate seems reasonable. I like the diversity.

My house is in a neighborhood on the south end of town. We first stayed the Intercontinental Presidente and for several years that was our base, so the southern parts of town are just more familiar to us. When we were looking at houses, the ones north of town were out of our price range (by hundreds of thousands, but boy are they gorgeous). We're just not condo people, but in my opinion the condos in the Centro and north are the only really nice ones.

Every time we drive to Bucannos I'm struck by how quiet (peaceful? serene?) that area is. We've all remarked that if we were looking for a resort on the island these days we'd be looking north.

While it would be convenient being picked up in the north zone, the extra boat time/pounding isn't that appealing to me lol.......especially if there is some chop. My back is spasming just at the thought of it lol.

Dear Brules,

The ride from the Villa Aldora dock is exactly 1 mile north of the Aldora Pier downtown.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

This is the protected bike path. Goes on for miles, nearly into downtown .View attachment 218083
This is a nice walk to El Centro from Puerto Abrigo area. About 20-30 minutes or so with great views of the turquoise water. They have planted palms along the way to get some shade. They have made this much nicer since the iron man events. Really nice walk. I wish I was there...

There are other ops out of abriggio. Some of you old timers might recognize these faces.

Chili Charters | Cozumel Fishing, Snorkeling and Dive Charters

Menas-247x300.jpg

I like the boat ride from Puerto Abrigo to the southern dive sites. It gives me time to have some water, relax, get ready to dive and enjoy the morning. It's a quick ride to the northern sites, it's nice but I miss the leisurely vibe of the longer boat ride. We dive with Albatros Charters who keep all their boats at Puerto Abrigo. Albatros Charters | Cozumel Mexico I like staying in town rather than the south. We will go to the beach a Buccannos or Playa Azul. It's nice to walk into town for dinner.

Dave,

Are you talking about locations further north then The Villa? Or those locations from central TO The Villa? As far as The Villa is concerned, my dive partners and I always walk into town and back again for dinner or shopping in the evenings. It's really not that far and I don't see that as a detractor. We are not brave enough to take bicycles (LOL). It WOULD be nice if there were restaurants/pubs up north. And maybe a store for necessities. But, if we ever buy anything large or heavy, like groceries on our first day on the island, we do take a taxi back. Other wise it's a nice walk and good exercise.

As far as the boat rides to the southern dive locations, I really don't see that as an issue either from The Villa. It is a good time to relax, BS with the DM's (Especially Rachel) and get your plans in order for the rest of the day. Has anyone complained about the boat ride? IDK. I CAN say the location we stopped at for our surface interval's on nearly every dive (NOT the Money Bar) had TERRIBLE service and the food was marginal. That's the only thing I can say bad about the boat ride. Then again, that's not the boat issue. So...?
B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom