Why Not the North Hotel Zone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

North Pros: Decent beaches, less traffic, fewer cruisers.
North Cons: Fewer restaurants, little choice for dive ops; generally limited dive site selection when diving with anyone based in the north, LONG boat rides to southern sites, waits for taxis, car rental costs, parking issues (sometimes); no convenience stores.

I've never stayed at a southern AI, but I'm guessing that the northern hotels don't offer the same "family" type activities that are available at some of the southern locations, including kiddie activities. A number of years ago, a friend with small kids (including one that was nursing) refused to stay anyplace she couldn't buy Pampers, formula, baby food or kiddie meds.

I used to love Staying at the El Coz.....switched to the Park Royal when they renovated after Wilma. Will gladly go back up north once there is a decent AI hotel up there again. :) El Coz food is meh and same $ at PR. Would always rent a jeep for the week.....nothing better than the early am drive south to the dive shop I used. Loved every min of it!

I have split my time between the north end versus the south end. If traveling with a mixed group(some divers, others not) we tend to stay on the north side. If it is a group of all divers, then the south end. The north end is definitely more pedestrian friendly and the layout of buildings is more attractive. The big downsides are 1) either driving or cabing to the marina when the pods of cruise ships starts squeezing in downtown. 2) Not a fan of rising early while on my vacation. My favorite dive op now departs at 7:30, which means rising earlier in the first place. Staying on the south end means there is no loading up into a car to dive, just foot it out the the pier for the dive boat to pick me up. 3) I want short boat rides.

Of course the downside to the South side is the distance into town. However the payoff is that when I am in a car, I have clean, dry clothes and am not schlepping a bunch of gear.

Good morning, all.
Long time scubaboard reader here.
After 12 years diving Cozumel I have worked my way north from the Grand (WON that Trip!!) to the Hotel B in the North End. I have stayed at a different hotel for each trip, once solo. I have always been picked up at a pier and by a Dive Company associated with the hotel. Grand,Reef,Papa Hogs,Blue Angel, SCC, Hotel Cozumel, Grand(again, RAIN 7 DAYS!!!) then Hotel B. Scuba Du picks up at the Hotel B and I understand there are a few more North end areas that offer boat pickup. Villa Aldora and Coral princess come to mind. I will now favor the north end for all future trips. The trip to town for meals(if desired) is quick . Walkable, even. The peaceful quiet is noteworthy and the ocean views are stunning. The "long" boat ride is a minor price to pay for the benefits of the North End. Personally. I will eagerly"pay the price" of a long boat ride in Cozumel waters!
Regards,
Litsign

Love the morning boat rides. If I could I would drive up north just to get a longer ride. I am a boater and am about to winterize next week. The freeze is about to start up here. I had to wear long pants last week. Any day spent in a bathing suit from morning to night is a good day. I would give anything for those long boat rides to the reefs.

I hear Dave is looking at a new boat. Who's got the fastest ride now Chief?

http://i.imgur.com/0E1is5M.webm

Last edited:
Dear Chief and Lion-fish Eater,

Long ago I gave up on the fastest boat thing. When starting operation I thought that was cool and ordered my captains to never let another boat pass. I soon learned what that meant in terms of gas burn (2 stroke 150s) and blowing a crankshaft every year. So now we go at a fast clip and very few other boats pass us, but we are no longer participate in the speed game. Fast is fast enough.We are now converting Aldora V for our far north trips with new twin 150s and lots of redundancies. Since it is not very heavy and has a semi planing hull it might possibly be the "fastest" boat in Cozumel but I don't think we will get in a race with anyone.

Dave Dillehay

Aldora Divers

Last edited:
Dear Chief and Lion-fish Eater,Long ago I gave up on the fastest boat thing. When starting operation I thought that was cool and ordered my captains to never let another boat pass. I soon learned what that meant in terms of gas burn (2 stroke 150s) and blowing a crankshaft every year. So now we go at a fast clip and very few other boats pass us, but we are no longer participate in the speed game. Fast is fast enough.We are now converting Aldora V for our far north trips with new twin 150s and lots of redundancies. Since it is not very heavy and has a semi planing hull it might possibly be the "fastest" boat in Cozumel but I don't think we will get in a race with anyone.Dave DillehayAldora Divers
Translation: "I don't have the fastest boat and it doesn't matter, unless I have the fastest boat and then it matters.":)

Maybe Bus into town, vans, bikes, etc. mAybe I can get some managers up there to help us...

Dave Dillehay

I love the north end as well - have always loved making my little "getaways" up there and the bike/walking path is nice.

Great ideas, although not new - if hotels and/or dive ops had ever been able to get around the taxi union with that - we would ALL have shuttle vans - it would be part of the business model. And they (taxi union) would never agree to a shuttle bus operated by themselves that runs from the hotels to town because it would take fares away from them. The "powers that be" on the island shoot themselves in the foot by not considering how these tactics affect tourism as a whole - and they seem to forget that without tourism there would be no island economy at all.

Last edited:
Selling coconuts and fish isn't an economy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom