Why not go to 100' ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mi000ke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m going to be in the Caribbean next month for a few days of diving, and some of the dive ops I’ve contacted about a 2-tank boat dive typically do the first dive to about 100 fsw, and a second shallow dive. I have only the basic OW certification and have avoided doing dives much deeper than 60’ on all of my 25 previous dives, and that’s worked out fine with the other divers. I’ve actually been to a bit over 70’ on a couple of dives, and really did not notice any difference. A couple of the ops I contacted said I could stay up at 60’ while they are down at 100, but I will be diving as a single and usually buddy with the DM. Being 40’ more shallow would make me essentially a solo, and I won’t do that. But other than faster air consumption, shorter NDL, and possibly some narcosis (I don’t know how I’d be affected having not gone that deep yet, but feel nothing at 60’) why not go to 100’ with the DM? I tend to be very relaxed when I dive, not at all anxious, check my air and NDL frequently, have pretty good buoyancy control, and a fairly low rate of air consumption (after years of playing sax and practicing controlled breathing). So why not go for it? I suppose I could arrange for some deep dive instruction first, but really don't want to spend the money if going to 100' is not that a big deal.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

What is your air consumption rate and how long do you plan on spending time up to NDL at 30m/100'? Do you have enough cylinder air volume to cover an emergency contingency at depth (like a panicked & narced out-of-air Buddy, with an unplanned mandatory decompression stop for both of you)?

The above was essentially covered in this thread:
Was this a terrible idea, or merely a bad idea?

The point is, there are prudent reasons for holding the Basic Open Water Diver to a limit of 18meters/60feet Max depth while gaining the experience of logged dives and undergoing further advanced training.

Last edited:
But other than faster air consumption, shorter NDL, and possibly some narcosis (I don’t know how I’d be affected having not gone that deep yet, but feel nothing at 60’) why not go to 100’ with the DM?

Well, those are three important reasons not to go deeper than your comfort zone. The most important one IMO is that if something should happen at the greater depth, will you be prepared to effectively deal with it? Like, if you spring a big air leak, will you be able to calmly get to the surface? If someone else in the group has a problem, will you be able to help them?

It's up to you. Lots of people will post on this thread telling you it's not safe, others will say no problem, but ultimately it's your decision how conservative a diver you want to be. 25 dives is not many, and you might find yourself a lot lower on gas than you expected, or maybe more narced than you expected, who knows? This is why the training agencies suggest that diving to that depth should be trained in the context of a deep specialty dive or AOW. That way you get experience at greater depth under the care of an instructor who is specifically there for you, where the DM is really just a guide for the group.

Then you should consider the fact that the depth is only one of many variables in terms of the dive conditions. 100ft in clear, warm water with no current, a group of excellent divers, and easy navigation is one thing. Currents, loss of visibility, any stressful situation that arises can quickly change the nature of the dive. The dive profile has a lot to do with it; how quickly do you get to 100ft, how quickly do you ascend to shallower depth, etc...

So nobody can really answer your question, although I'm sure many people will.

My 12th dive after completing my OW certification was the North Wall of Grand Cayman to 100'. I talked with the op ahead of time explaining how new we were and asked about the difficulty level of the dive (currents, etc) because on the face of it... the idea of going to twice the depth of all previous dives sounded pretty intimidating.

I was told the same basic thing, you and your wife can follow from a shallower depth you felt comfortable with BUT it's a very easy dive, great vis, no current etc.

Anyway, with 100+ visibility, no current and both of us comfortable, we ended up going all the way down to 100' which with the ridiculous visibility didn't look that deep at all, and it was a great dive.

Diving locally in the panhandle where visibility is nothing like the caribbean going to 60-70' I would argue is much more risky or could make a newer diver more anxious than 100' in the caribbean...

Does the op offer certs? Why not take advantage of the book material and diving under instruction/supervision of a pro for the deep dive? I can't imagine it would cost that much more... Agency fee and card? Maybe a couple bucks to the instructor? You're doing the dive anyway.

Diving deep is easy and fun- until it isn't. Have you ever dealt with a burst o ring while in the water? I did, on my fifth dive after certification, right after buying my brand new regulators. I was in about fifteen feet of water and it was a bummer because it ended a day of diving.

On dive fifteen, my log book reminds me that I lost a fin in about 35' of water. New spring straps on new boots. Turns out your fins and boots have to fit each other. You change your boots, you have to make sure your spring straps fit the same as they fit on the old boots. Who knew? It's not in the manual... Hey, did your open water class teach you that you can efficiently swim with one fin? You can. Just cross your legs and dolphin kick. You can even use your finless foot to hold the strap of the foot with the fin. Good to know.

Which is why new open water divers might want to get some experience in relatively shallow water. We humans get task loaded sorting out new and novel problems. Once divers have some experience solving problems under water, they are less task loaded. In shallow water, you can always CESA on a single breath.

So... are you ready to solve problems at 100' ?

My 12th dive after completing my OW certification was the North Wall of Grand Cayman to 100'. I talked with the op ahead of time explaining how new we were and asked about the difficulty level of the dive (currents, etc) because on the face of it... the idea of going to twice the depth of all previous dives sounded pretty intimidating.

I was told the same basic thing, you and your wife can follow from a shallower depth you felt comfortable with BUT it's a very easy dive, great vis, no current etc.

Anyway, with 100+ visibility, no current and both of us comfortable, we ended up going all the way down to 100' which with the ridiculous visibility didn't look that deep at all, and it was a great dive.

Diving locally in the panhandle where visibility is nothing like the caribbean going to 60-70' I would argue is much more risky or could make a newer diver more anxious than 100' in the caribbean...

Similar situation with me on my dive #15, 126' in Son of Rock Monster, Cayman Brac., 100+ vis, no current.

I'd take the nitrox course while I was there. Changes your NDL's a bunch after 80'. My feeling is make sure the divemaster knows your experience level and go for it. IMO 100' in Coz is not as dangerous as 50' in 5' viz.

You've already got the info. on a few things that can happen when you're deep, so I won't continue on that. Well, other than to emphasize how much faster your air disappears at 100 vs. 60'. I also like to throw in my own feeling that the deeper you go, the more potential for trouble--though some may say not so if properly trained and you follow your training and keep your head.

I will add my knowledge of the idea of below 60' with only OW regarding what I've heard, what I've read on SB, and what I perceive PADI's view really is:
You can go below 60' if buddied with a pro. You can gradually increase your depth without a pro, then eventually you have the experience to go to 100' or more without Advanced OW or Deep certification. Thus, we have divers who have been to the rec. limit of 130' and logged 1,000+ dives, are still only OW certified and can swim rings around me. Remember that the depth limitations with PADI OW and AOW are recommendations. Going below 60' with only OW cert. in gradual increments to get experience is like the chicken and the egg. You've already done a little of that. I've not seen anywhere anything telling you exactly how to gradually increase depth safely--perhaps others have.
Somewhat related to your situation, there are divers who dive to the limits solo, and others like me who at least attempt to limit solo to 30' depth or a little more. You being at 60' above others at 100' may at some point be something you feel comfortable with-- or not. Ei., could you get to the surface OK by yourself from 60'?
Don't exceed your comfort zone, plan wisely. Good luck.

Last edited:
As a OW diver I limited myself to 18m max. When I was AOW certified I first ventured to 30m only with familiar divers. It was a slow and gradual process but always within my comfort zone.
Why would any person need some total strangers to convince him/her on something that he/her is not too sure about it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom