Why not go to 100' ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm always cautious when someone uses the word "simply"....

It's often indicative of a hypothetical, untested, solution.

Has anyone successfully shutoff a breached LP hose by bending that hose? (not the same as limiting breathing by bending the hose).

For 1st stage free flows, wouldn't it jut cause a diversion and start the alternative free flowing instead?

I'm always cautious when someone uses the word "simply"....

It's often indicative of a hypothetical, untested, solution.

Has anyone successfully shutoff a breached LP hose by bending that hose? (not the same as limiting breathing by bending the hose).

For 1st stage free flows, wouldn't it jut cause a diversion and start the alternative free flowing instead?

I have in fact tested this and kinking the hose will completely stop the flow of gas. Like I said, this would be useful if for some reason there was a failure at the section of hose or connection of the hose where you could access it (the end). If the hose/connection failure happened near the first stage it would be nearly impossible to reach back and put a kink in it, if you even had enough hose to do it.

As far as the first stage failing and delivering too much gas to the second and causing a free flow, I agree, kinking the hose would probably just cause your alternate to begin to free flow. However, if you correctly identified the first stage internal pressure being too high as the culprit of a second stage free flow you could theoretically switch to your alternate and try to reduce the flow of gas exiting the primary by putting a more gentle bend in the hose. Releasing just enough gas to maintain the correct pressure in the first stage to keep your alternate happy.

I witnessed a high pressure hose that goes to SPG exploded on my dive buddy's reg, POW!, right after he opened the air valve, before we geared up for the dive.

Last edited:
I'm interested. How did you test this?

So I'll preface this by saying I received the hose kinking tip from my instructor who is a full cave, CCR, tech instructor.

I tested it by hopping in my pool and while purging the reg I kinked my hose and it completely stopped the flow of gas.

So I'll preface this by saying I received the hose kinking tip from my instructor who is a full cave, CCR, tech instructor.

I tested it by hopping in my pool and while purging the reg I kinked my hose and it completely stopped the flow of gas.

Ah, ok. That's what I suspected. So it replicates a 2nd stage freeflow, not a breached hose.

The reason I've not tested this yet is because I've not been in a position to sacrifice a hose to see if it works... or where a hose has failied (dry), I've been teaching and not had time to jump in the water and see if kinking the hose above the breach would stem the gas loss.

I imagine it would even if something (cuda, sharp jagged wreck metal) sheared the reg, spg, etc. right off the hose.

Hose was fine, but admittedly I've since switched to a different length.

It didn't take much to stop the gas from flowing. Ive read stories of sharp turns on hose routing have cut off gas supply.

"Cut off gas supply" can mean different things. Making the work-of-breathing impossible is one thing. Ceasing a flow of gas from a ruptured hose is another.

I like to know, not assume... I'll try and test this out soon.

"Cut off gas supply" can mean different things. Making the work-of-breathing impossible is one thing. Ceasing a flow of gas from a ruptured hose is another.

I like to know, not assume... I'll try and test this out soon.

Well, in the context of this discussion I think you know what I mean. :wink:

Test it out and let me know what you find. Had I thought of it I would have video taped it to share when this topic comes up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom