Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyancy control, trim, and finning.

I have on multiple occasions seen divers with technical certifications bouncing off the silty bottom of Dutch Springs or the Atlantic Ocean, or kneeling on a wreck in the St Lawrence, or swimming along, scissor kicking a gigantic trail of silt behind them. I have seen them kicking straight up from the bottom, creating a huge cloud of silt, just to ascend.

Very true Jonnythan.

I was diving with four rebreather divers in the Philippines in June and three of them were constantly laying on the reef in any type of current. The fourth had the huge Aquatica video housing and was silting up the water with his finning, making it nearly impossible to take pictures and I was quite a ways behind them. I dove with them for 2 dives and then made sure I was on a different boat.

I have a very nice video of a diver with a rebreather and a scooter kneeling on the bottom of the St Lawrence because he lacked the control not to. My buddy Art was filming... he has a rather amusing clip panning between this rebreather diver with a scooter and little ol AOW Jon in good trim and control a few feet behind him.

He even lacked the awareness to ever notice the two divers swimming around him taking pictures. Good thing he was solo diving.. but I never once saw him take his eyes off the knot he was trying to put in his scooter tow cord to check his rebreather instruments.

jonnythan:
but I never once saw him take his eyes off the knot he was trying to put in his scooter tow cord to check his rebreather instruments.

Not necessary. They usually buzz and blink at you if you're about to pass out or oxtox.

Frankly, it got to the point that I was kind of scared to be around these guys.

He even lacked the awareness to ever notice the two divers swimming around him taking pictures. Good thing he was solo diving.. but I never once saw him take his eyes off the knot he was trying to put in his scooter tow cord to check his rebreather instruments.

Exactly, lots of cash for rebreather equipment and a scooter but no skills. A scary combination.

I guess the lesson here is to dive with the technical instructor to see if they have great diving skills and bouyancy control before taking a class with them. Mine allowed us 1 finger at the end of descent to establish correct bouyancy and that was the extent of contact with the bottom. And we had to frog kick for the entire course.

well, i like DIR-F very much as you all know, and it's too bad that most other agencies don't have a pre-tech "fundamentals" (or "essentials") class to nail those basic skills down before moving on to their tech programs

i could easy see such a class as a bridge between recreational classes and tech diving.

that's the one reason I think DIR-F is brilliant

H2Andy:
well, i like DIR-F very much as you all know, and it's too bad that most other agencies don't have a pre-tech "fundamentals" (or "essentials") class to nail those basic skills down before moving on to their tech programs

NAUI recently started offering Intro to Tech. Looks like fundies with some added gear requirements (i.e doubles rig). Which seems to make some for those serious about getting into technical diving ... go straight to the doubles.

dude, i said "most others."

wish people would READ before criticizing

in addition to NAUI, there's also the "Essentials" class, but i am not sure what agency offers that class

H2Andy:
dude, i said "most others."

wish people would READ before criticizing

in addition to NAUI, there's also the "Essentials" class, but i am not sure what agency offers that class

But, you've doubled your post count due to this issue, Andy!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom