Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
Do you dive doubles in strong currents?
I do.

If I tried to put a finger on the bottom of the St Lawrence, in many instances my hand would just sink into the silty bottom....

So.... we never do it :wink:

jonnythan:
I do.

If I tried to put a finger on the bottom of the St Lawrence, in many instances my hand would just sink into the silty bottom....

So.... we never do it :wink:
Never used pull and glide in the river?

jonnythan:

You're not supposed to stick you hand in there. :wink: Very gently and you're supposed to dive 1 arm's length from the bottom so you don't drag the stages.

TheRedHead:
Well, you don't need to take Fundies. Fundies appear to me to be a subset of technical diving skills, modified and packaged under the name of GUE-DIR. The skills are common to many tech agencies and many kinds of diving including wreck and cave.
TheRedHead: Yes, of course. "Fundies" much beloved by some,, as you pointed out, just another subset of courses offered by many other teaching groups. Some need it, want it, others do not. I'm sure this tired argument will rage on with the "usual suspects" posting the usual stuff.

We had to frog kick in my OW class...
To my knowledge (which is definitely limited!), "Essentials" is only currently offered by Breakthrudiving/5thd-x.

mdb:
TheRedHead: Yes, of course. "Fundies" much beloved by some,, as you pointed out, just another subset of courses offered by many other teaching groups. Some need it, want it, others do not. I'm sure this tired argument will rage on with the "usual suspects" posting the usual stuff.
LOL - no doubt.

But if these discussions bother you so much, why do you read and respond every time the subject comes up? In fact, you respond with exactly the same complaint every time.

You do realize that makes you one of the "usual suspects" ... :eyebrow:

Seems like if you're gonna keep complaining about "tired arguments" you'd want to avoid contributing to them ... :confused:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TheRedHead:
you're supposed to dive 1 arm's length from the bottom so you don't drag the stages.
Sometimes you have to swim inches off the bottom. :wink:

Jason B:
Sometimes you have to swim inches off the bottom. :wink:

He had a ruler, Jason. :wink:

TheRedHead:
Do you dive doubles in strong currents?

yes... and in caves, when the passage narrows, that current really rips

LUCIKLY, so far, the ripping-current-caves have rocky bottoms, so pull-and-glide
works well

in a silty cave, i'd go for the walls, but it'd be much slower and deliberate (don't want to hurt the cave)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom