Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
I realize that to dive doubles I would need a BP/W setup...

Why? People were diving doubles long before the BP/wing was invented. I dive my doubles with my vest.

howarde:
Everything IS automatic for me. I dive a lot. I've dived backplates, and jacket bcd's and have no difference. I can dive an AL67 or a Steel 120 and have no problem with trim.

I used to feel the same way, but man did I get my butt kicked. :lol:

Doubles are easy; it's all the stage bottles that complicate things. You are no longer dealing with one regulator, but maybe 4 or 5 regs. You've got maybe 2 or 3 stage bottles hanging off your left side and you have to maintain near perfect bouyancy switching to the right bottle at the right depth and time. You can't do this without modifying the way you dive. You have to have systems and everyone has to be on the same system. Buddies have to supervise each other's gas switches and if you see your buddy put the wrong reg in his mouth, you must snatch the reg out of his mouth and donate your primary without hesitation. And it has to be 2nd nature. You''ll find out. :)

TheRedHead:
I used to feel the same way, but man did I get my butt kicked. :lol:
And it has to be 2nd nature. You''ll find out. :)

I guess I will find out... True, but I don't see taking Fundies anyway.

Walter:
Why? People were diving doubles long before the BP/wing was invented. I dive my doubles with my vest.

Not with my jacket :wink:

Howarde... you just get yourself two empty 5 Gallon Clorox bottles and fill them with water...

Nope, you don't need a BP/W.

howarde:
I guess I will find out... True, but I don't see taking Fundies anyway.

Well, you don't need to take Fundies. Fundies appear to me to be a subset of technical diving skills, modified and packaged under the name of GUE-DIR. The skills are common to many tech agencies and many kinds of diving including wreck and cave.

They mustn't be that common, because I see divers with technical certifications quite frequently lack basic skills, much less come anywhere near the level of skill required for DIR-F.

Obviously, GUE-trained divers are not the only ones with superior skills, but tech training from another agency by no means guarantees any level of skill that approaches the level of passing DIR-F.

whereas if you pass DIR-F you will not lack basic skills?

is this guarantee in writing somewhere?

:wink:

H2Andy:
whereas if you pass DIR-F you will not lack basic skills?

is this guarantee in writing somewhere?

:wink:

No, no guarantee. But it's a more sure bet than anything else I've seen out there in the dive industy.

jonnythan:
They mustn't be that common, because I see divers with technical certifications quite frequently lack basic skills, much less come anywhere near the level of skill required for DIR-F.

What basic skills do they lack?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom