Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
My personal preference is to be a free spirit.

How are you going to do that and deco dive? :wink:

TheRedHead:

Wear bright neon colors ... it makes a fashion statement :D

TheRedHead:
Gas planning. That doesn't require me to take "fundies" have a long hose, or an hid light on my right arm with the chord wrapped crossways around my body or to become a drone now does it?

Hank49:
Good analogy. But, DIR type divers aren't the only ones who seek to get better at diving. There are the folks that own horses, love horses, who never had a lesson in their lives other than someone throwing them on top of a horse. They have a small barn and an old saddle or two and ride a lot just because they love it. And they can ride well because they ride all the time. There are also divers like this...who live near a place with good diving and they don't have to spend to travel and pay divemasters etc etc....who have taken little to no courses for training....but are very good divers. I'm not sure what my point is but I just thought I'd throw that in there.....
I dunno how it is with horses, but there are people that bought motorcycles in the 60s and 70s and have been riding them ever since. People who have never had a lesson or training. They think they're pretty awesome riders, having never gotten into an accident.

However, that doesn't mean they're awesome riders that have all the critical skills down. These people, far more often than those who have had professional training, are the ones who get into accidents and die. They might be really experienced at the wrong way to take a corner and will have poor accident avoidance skills compared to someone who has only been riding two years but has had significant professional training in the right way to do things.

Lots of experience does not equal skill, whether it's diving, riding (bikes or horses), caving, driving, kayaking, or.. well, anything.

In any case, my comments were directed specifically toward the analogy of people who take riding lessons ... not those who are "self taught" experts ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TheRedHead:

Same way you would with a buddy...:wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
Uniformity ... one of the differences of philosophy between me and DIR.

In their world, everyone configures their gear the same way ... so that if the hit fits the shan, your buddy will be able to locate your backup gear without having to search for it. The concept comes in handy if you're silted out in a wreck or something and for some reason require your buddy's assistance in deploying your gear.

In my world, you go over this stuff as part of your dive briefing. If my buddy knows my backup light is in my pocket, and for some unforeseen reason they need to reach it, they know where to reach. Communication, rather than conformity, becomes the overriding consideration.

As to "why" ... my previous two drysuits (Northern Diver Cortex and DUI CLX450) contain an overlay with a lycra weave in the fabric. Putting the light on the harness underneath the arm tended to rub the lycra and damage the fabric. So I moved the light to my left pocket, where I can still easily reach and deploy it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks.

jonnythan:
Lots of experience does not equal skill, whether it's diving, riding (bikes or horses), caving, driving, kayaking, or.. well, anything.

True. But someone first learned and perfected all the skills, diving, horses or motorcycle riding (did you see Travis Pastrana do the double back flip in X games? awesome....) before they were ever catagorized and taught in a class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom