Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mentioning DIR or Fundies in a thread opener is a guarantee of at least twenty pages . . . Just most of those threads don't stay as pleasant as this one has!

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, in my case I know that Lynne was being facetious ... she was there the day I told her DIR instructor that I carried my backup light in my pocket, and why. His response was to say "hmm, interesting".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So why would anyone have an issue with putting a light in a pocket?

Walter:
Uniformity ... one of the differences of philosophy between me and DIR.

In their world, everyone configures their gear the same way ... so that if the hit fits the shan, your buddy will be able to locate your backup gear without having to search for it. The concept comes in handy if you're silted out in a wreck or something and for some reason require your buddy's assistance in deploying your gear.

In my world, you go over this stuff as part of your dive briefing. If my buddy knows my backup light is in my pocket, and for some unforeseen reason they need to reach it, they know where to reach. Communication, rather than conformity, becomes the overriding consideration.

As to "why" ... my previous two drysuits (Northern Diver Cortex and DUI CLX450) contain an overlay with a lycra weave in the fabric. Putting the light on the harness underneath the arm tended to rub the lycra and damage the fabric. So I moved the light to my left pocket, where I can still easily reach and deploy it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

howarde:
Nice analogy.

Personally, I have interest in training in deco procedures, etc, but I have no interest in doing it the DIR way.

I agree howarde. I'm a solo diving photographer now and won't change but there are lots of good things to learn from the DIR style of diving and I'll adopt those.

Lynne, I've never had an aversion to DIR divers because I know and dive with some. These are the strict kind, very much team think and I started diving with them before I came on SB where I have seen some of the Internet DIR divers. Different breed, that internet group, mostly wanna-bes. It seems the real DIR people are just regular divers, they are just passionate about their way of diving and none of them have a superiority complex that I've seen. I think a lot of people base their opinion on the internet kind and just to preface that, there are not that many of those. This has been a good thread because it has dispelled some of the myths around what Fundies and Essentials are and what equipment you need to take it.

DIR and GUE does become more regimented as you get into it, I know. A lot of people like that kind of order in their lives and thrive in that atmosphere. I am more of the independent kind of diver but that doesn't mean I can't improve, far from it and I'll be taking some pointers from DIR to make my style of diving better.

Walter:

For me, it would depend on the pocket and it would depend on the dive.

In a night dive where lights are a must, if my buddy has a problem with his/her primary light, I want to not have any doubts that my buddy can get to their backup light without problems.

I know for a fact that my buddies (and I) have the ability to extract items out of thigh pockets. But my own extremely limited personal experience has shown me that getting to pockets on a BCD and extracting items out of them, particularly with thick gloves on is extremely challenging. I'm sure after some practice, it gets better. But for my regular dive buddies, I would ask a lot of questions if they showed up with pockets on their BCD and started stowing backup lights in them.

And by the way, I would not say that I have an issue with my buddies having flashlights in their pockets. I would say that my personal preference is that they keep their lights in roughly the same place on their bcd as I keep mine.

I'm sure there are other divers who don't necessarily think of themselve as DIR who have personal preferences around standardization and uniformity.

Adobo:
I'm sure there are other divers who don't necessarily think of themselve as DIR who have personal preferences around standardization and uniformity.

My personal preference is to be standardized :)

Let's dive

Diver Dennis:
I agree howarde. I'm a solo diving photographer now and won't change but there are lots of good things to learn from the DIR style of diving and I'll adopt those.

There's a lot of overlap and you will learn some the same skills whether its called "DIR" or not. Most of focuses on safety and when you get down to it, DIR is really about safe diving.

Adobo:
I know for a fact that my buddies (and I) have the ability to extract items out of thigh pockets. But my own extremely limited personal experience has shown me that getting to pockets on a BCD and extracting items out of them, particularly with thick gloves on is extremely challenging. I'm sure after some practice, it gets better. But for my regular dive buddies, I would ask a lot of questions if they showed up with pockets on their BCD and started stowing backup lights in them.

And by the way, I would not say that I have an issue with my buddies having flashlights in their pockets. I would say that my personal preference is that they keep their lights in roughly the same place on their bcd as I keep mine.
I would say the first issue (accessibility and the necessity to be able to deploy the light under less-than-ideal circumstances) is valid.

I would say that under most circumstances, the second is not ... unless you feel it's important that you should be able to deploy your buddy's light for him (why?) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ben_ca:
My personal preference is to be standardized :)

Let's dive
My personal preference is to be a free spirit.

NWGratefulDiver:
Here's how I'd compare it ... the people who actively seek out DIR (or other technical-level) training are typically motivated to learn in much the same way as the people who seek out those expensive riding clinics ... and in fact, those will also typically be the people with the disposable income to pursue their recreational pursuits to that level. But the majority of divers would be more comparable to folks who are going for occasional rides at a dude ranch ... some will take lessons to improve their riding, but the majority will be content with their skills as long as they can manage the ride without falling off the horse ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Good analogy. But, DIR type divers aren't the only ones who seek to get better at diving. There are the folks that own horses, love horses, who never had a lesson in their lives other than someone throwing them on top of a horse. They have a small barn and an old saddle or two and ride a lot just because they love it. And they can ride well because they ride all the time. There are also divers like this...who live near a place with good diving and they don't have to spend to travel and pay divemasters etc etc....who have taken little to no courses for training....but are very good divers. I'm not sure what my point is but I just thought I'd throw that in there.....

Back
Top Bottom