Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin:
But can you get a PASS ?

We'll see what happens in Tech...:D

PerroneFord:
Yea, its kinda like college calculus... you take the class, you may mor may not pass. If you don't, you sign up again and pay again. You can get tutoring and you may do better. Or you study at home and do better. But amazingly, you acutally have to WORK at it to get better and pass.

Familiar concept eh?
I know I'm about 8 pages late, but for the record I had to take my first college calc class twice but after that calc 2, 3,4, diferential equations, linnear vector algebra, and discrete mathamatic theory was a breeze after that...

Adobo:
I don't know if I heard this from AG or Joe but apparently, when the class first rolled out, there were plenty taking the class just so they could argue againt DIR.

And I've also heard of a couple of hard core anti-DIR people who "saw the light" if you will. In fact, didn't MHK used to be anti-DIR?
I know a few people who used to be anti-DIR ... but then changed their views after they stopped learning everything they knew about DIR on the Internet and made the effort to talk to some real, live divers.

In fact, I once told MHK it would be a cold day in hell when I took a DIR class. Hell's frozen over twice since then ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It may have taken 39 pages to say it all, and I may have had to sort through a lot of other stuff to get to it (I never had to do that before on the internet :D ) but I did get a lot of useful info from this thread. I am not sure that DIR is right for me. Partly because it seems a bit anal, and I am only good at anal on my own terms. But who knows, I am open to the possibility that I will agree with it enough to convert.

Either way, I am now certain that I want to take the Essentials class. It sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Does anybody know of anyone teaching Essentials in the Baltimore/Washington/Philly area?

If not maybe Fla would work.

Thanks

Erik Il Rosso:
2) I got more that 200 dives under my belt and I do not like my *** to be kicked but if I want to become a better diver I undestand that my *** has to be kicked...

Why? Most people can learn without being abused.

TSandM:
he does heinous things like putting his backup light in a pocket.

Why is that heinous?

Walter, I think your first quoted comment was metaphorical and your second quoted comment was sarcastic.

Don't take them literally.

TSandM:
It is interesting to me to read this discussion and compare it with the riding clinics my husband and I have run for years. We've held clinics in Seattle where people flew from Texas to attend, and where the lessons cost in excess of $200 an hour. It's routine for riding clinicians to have their airfare, hotel lodging and meals paid, and some of the big guys who come over from Europe insist on business class flights as well. There is almost never any problem filling such clinics.

I can tell you that at least MY GUE instructor doesn't insist on such pampering -- he's willing to drive if the distance is driveable, and stay in somebody's house. He just needs enough students to make holding a class worthwhile.

This whole issue of cost is interesting. Lynne, I cannot agree with your comparisons of SCUBA to riding. The type of folks that are willing to pay for the type of riding clinics you describe just do not seem to me to be in the same salary range as your average SCUBA diver. How do you compare the cost for the "average" recreational diver to that of an "average" recreatonal rider (if such a person exists)?

Now, I do believe that there are many, many divers out there who truly want a way to improve their recreational skills, just as there are people who truly want to improve their riding skills. I also believe that there are just as many who believe the way they dive or ride is just fine. If you have the cash to spare and the desire, you can afford the expense of the course. The more specialized the training, the higher the cost. To many, even if they want to take the DIR-F course it is a matter to trading off the cost of that course with other options (including a dive trip).

When I left the military I stopped flying altogether. It is very expensive to rent a helicopter. I simply cannot justify the cost being balanced with the benefit it would bring. For me I use this same reasoning toward taking a DIR-F course and following on with the addtional training and cost for equipment.

There are costs beyond that to take the course for anyone who truly want to continue in the way of DIR. Equipment is one significant cost. Travel to areas where you can do the types of dive you are training for is possibly another. Sure the equipment is durable, but the up front cost may be too much for many people. IMO, the full cost is a significant barrier to entry for many.

tedtim:
This whole issue of cost is interesting. Lynne, I cannot agree with your comparisons of SCUBA to riding. The type of folks that are willing to pay for the type of riding clinics you describe just do not seem to me to be in the same salary range as your average SCUBA diver. How do you compare the cost for the "average" recreational diver to that of an "average" recreatonal rider (if such a person exists)?
Here's how I'd compare it ... the people who actively seek out DIR (or other technical-level) training are typically motivated to learn in much the same way as the people who seek out those expensive riding clinics ... and in fact, those will also typically be the people with the disposable income to pursue their recreational pursuits to that level. But the majority of divers would be more comparable to folks who are going for occasional rides at a dude ranch ... some will take lessons to improve their riding, but the majority will be content with their skills as long as they can manage the ride without falling off the horse ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Walt1957:
It may have taken 39 pages to say it all, and I may have had to sort through a lot of other stuff to get to it (I never had to do that before on the internet :D ) but I did get a lot of useful info from this thread. I am not sure that DIR is right for me. Partly because it seems a bit anal, and I am only good at anal on my own terms. But who knows, I am open to the possibility that I will agree with it enough to convert.

Either way, I am now certain that I want to take the Essentials class. It sounds like exactly what I was looking for. Does anybody know of anyone teaching Essentials in the Baltimore/Washington/Philly area?

If not maybe Fla would work.

Thanks

They'll teach Essentials in Egypt if you want them to. Really.

You're options are either take a vacation to Monterey, CA and take it here. Lot's of good diving to be had in Monterey. Or you and a few of your friends can work something out with 5thd-x and have them fly out to wherever you want them to. The more friend who take it with you, the more people who can share the cost of flying the intructor out (flight, hotel, etc.).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom