Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
Here's how I'd compare it ... the people who actively seek out DIR (or other technical-level) training are typically motivated to learn in much the same way as the people who seek out those expensive riding clinics ... and in fact, those will also typically be the people with the disposable income to pursue their recreational pursuits to that level. But the majority of divers would be more comparable to folks who are going for occasional rides at a dude ranch ... some will take lessons to improve their riding, but the majority will be content with their skills as long as they can manage the ride without falling off the horse ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Nice analogy.

Personally, I have interest in training in deco procedures, etc, but I have no interest in doing it the DIR way.

howarde:
Nice analogy.

Personally, I have interest in training in deco procedures, etc, but I have no interest in doing it the DIR way.
Just make sure you get it right(GIR) the consequences aren't appealling:D

jonnythan:
Walter, I think your first quoted comment was metaphorical and your second quoted comment was sarcastic.

Don't take them literally.

If you can't answer the questions, don't bother to respond.

jbd:
Just make sure you get it right(GIR) the consequences aren't appealling:D
My plans are to learn from the owner of Fill Express (AKA dive rite express) Mark, who offers a course... I just have to find the time. He's quite reputable.

Regardless of how you learn, it's not something to be taken lightly.

Walter:
If you can't answer the questions, don't bother to respond.
Well, in my case I know that Lynne was being facetious ... she was there the day I told her DIR instructor that I carried my backup light in my pocket, and why. His response was to say "hmm, interesting".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Adobo:
In fact, didn't MHK used to be anti-DIR?
I wouldn't charactarize MHK as having been anti-DIR. IIRC he found, like I did, the initial contact with the concept "abrasive". MHK met GI3 and did some diving and talking and realized that when you cut through all the internet and other rhetoric stuff there was in fact a good system there. Also IIRC he was looking for a way to teach better diving. He found it in GUE's DIR-F.

howarde:
My plans are to learn from the owner of Fill Express (AKA dive rite express) Mark, who offers a course... I just have to find the time. He's quite reputable.

Regardless of how you learn, it's not something to be taken lightly.
Regardless of what agency teach teaches or certifies the training, the laws of science that apply are the same:D
I'm looking to take a similar course and like you finding the time is an issue.

jbd:
Regardless of what agency teach teaches or certifies the training, the laws of science that apply are the same:D
I'm looking to take a similar course and like you finding the time is an issue.
Exactly.

I can't believe this thread went 40 pages

400 :d

Back
Top Bottom