Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo:
And I've also heard of a couple of hard care anti-DIR people who "saw the light" if you will. In fact, didn't MHK used to be anti-DIR?
Dan Mackay as well. At least, that's what they told me.

I was very anti-DIR, but I was obviously a total newbie diver compared to either of these guys.

jonnythan:
Jeff already pointed out that Essentials bills itself specifically as a DIR class... only difference seems to be that it's a DIR class that lets you learn DIR in any BC you want.

Actually, according to the 5thD-X site, the only gear requirements for Essentials are :

• 5 or 7 ft. Primary Regulator Hose
  • Fins: non-split variety

That's significantly less re-config costs for the average recreational diver. At least from a gear perspective, it seems like a much lower level of commitment to DIR.

riguerin:
That's significantly less re-config costs for the average recreational diver. At least from a gear perspective, it seems like a much lower level of commitment to DIR.
Its not meant to be a commitment to DIR, but an Introduction to DIR. As well as be introduced to skills that should be taught in basic OW and shown how they should be implemented. (ie in mid-water and not on your knees)

When AG created his Essentials, he was basically going back to the "roots" of the original DIR-f class.

Bob Bailey, my mentor, was originally anti-DIR -- in fact, he has a SB post which states that in no uncertain terms. Then he kind of came around to the idea that Fundies was reasonable, and took it . . . twice. He now says he's not DIR, and he does heinous things like putting his backup light in a pocket. But when it comes to good skills, good planning, and team diving, he's mainstream.

We had a thread here a while back about what makes a DIR diver, and even those of us who are trying couldn't define the term. Until you're heading six kilometers back in a cave, the tiny details aren't in it; the basic gear configuration, the work on good skills and sharp emergency procedures, and above all, the deep commitment to team diving and polished situational awareness, are what I've picked up as the core of DIR (and I'm a fledgling, so I could have the picture all wrong).

JeffG:
Its not meant to be a commitment to DIR, but an Introduction to DIR. As well as be introduced to skills that should be taught in basic OW and shown how they should be implemented. (ie in mid-water and not on your knees)

When AG created his Essentials, he was basically going back to the "roots" of the original DIR-f class.

It sounds like the course provides a good introduction to some solid diving skills while eliminating some of the concerns that others have expressed ... i.e. having to spend a bunch of money on new gear or worrying about pass/fail. To me, it really seems like this course is better suited for the typical recreation diver who does not plan to progress into technical diving.

riguerin:
To me, it really seems like this course is better suited for the typical recreation diver who does not plan to progress into technical diving.
It is and thats its purpose. DIR-f's primary purpose (from a pass/fail viewpoint) is to filter divers trying to enter GUE technical classes. If you can put that part behind you, the knowledge/skills in both Essentials and DIR-f would be very similar (if not identical in most cases) But the moment a pass/fail gets assigned to anything it changes how you would approach it. Just think what would happen to PADI's rescue divers class if it was a pass/fail.

Oh, BTW, as this thread works its way toward 20 pages (at least for me), I want to commend everybody who has participated . . . It's stayed largely on topic, and almost completely civil. That's unusual for a DIR-related thread!

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. I wasn't interested in DIR, did not mean I was opposed to DIR. Since I didn't have a strong desire to be DIR, buying gear that's explicitly required for Fundamentals was a big barrier to taking the class.

Essentials allowed me an introduction without the commitment, as Jeff said. Both my wife and I left the class impressed and enthusiastic about our diving. And we've met a great community of divers that we enjoy diving with.

I learned that it does not take an entire equipment change to take the course. I'll bet a lot of others don't know that either.

Diver Dennis:
I learned that it does not take an entire equipment change to take the course. I'll bet a lot of others don't know that either.

But can you get a PASS ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom