Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ae3753, you'll get a great class. And whether you take Fundies or Essentials, there is no requirement to "go DIR". You can take the class, and take home the things you want and discard whatever part of "DIR" you don't like. Although, if you like the skills, and you like the dive planning, and you like the team concept, I'm not sure what part of "DIR" you don't like :)

Bob sent me off to do Fundies, and the last thing he said to me was, "Don't drink the Koolaid." I did, but you don't have to!

1 T Submariner, there aren't very many GUE instructors because GUE is fairly new, the requirements for being a GUE instructor are tough and the ITC is involved and expensive, and because the pool of DIR divers who want to be instructors is small.

TSandM:
ae3753, you'll get a great class. And whether you take Fundies or Essentials, there is no requirement to "go DIR". You can take the class, and take home the things you want and discard whatever part of "DIR" you don't like. Although, if you like the skills, and you like the dive planning, and you like the team concept, I'm not sure what part of "DIR" you don't like :)

Bob sent me off to do Fundies, and the last thing he said to me was, "Don't drink the Koolaid." I did, but you don't have to!
I knew a guy that was going to take DIR-f to become a better solo diver. He almost got into our class. I would of loved to see AG's face if he would of said that during the introductions.

1_T_Submariner:
Why are there so few instructors that teach this course? It seems everyone talks about having to travel etc... to take the class.

To become a GUE instructor it takes a long time. There is a mentoring system for instructor candidates, then an instructor course and then an instructor evaluation. At any time in the process, the candidate can be sent down for further work (i.e. assisting with more GUE classes). This is how all instructor training courses should be run IMHO. Plus, GUE instructors must also have passed GUE Tech 1 or Cave 1.

Stephen Ash:
Trouble maker!
Yea yea....Just pointing out the funny parts.

:lol: You rock buddy.

TSandM and PPO2 Thanks for the Info. I am interested in the different Training paths that people take.

ae3753:
I considered Fundamentals, but did not take it for the following reasons:

1. As TSandM said, it's Fundamentals of DIR. I was interested in the skills, team work, and dive planning, but wasn't interested in being DIR. All the Internet DIR rhetoric and banter doesn't help the cause.

2. Equipment costs. I didn't want to buy DIR required gear. A bp/w is serious money, and for what I wanted out of the class, my existing gear should have been servicable.

So when 5thd-X offered Essentials, I signed up for that class instead.

Uh... Don... I don't know how to break it to you but uh.. I think you might be kind of DIR. I'm no expert so I could definitely be wrong but if we look at some of the stuff they emphasize in DIR diving at the recreational level, I think you and your primary buddy match the criteria. (And I don't know that a knob here or a missing zip tie there are enough to disqualify you.)

Jeff already pointed out that Essentials bills itself specifically as a DIR class... only difference seems to be that it's a DIR class that lets you learn DIR in any BC you want.

JeffG:
I knew a guy that was going to take DIR-f to become a better solo diver. He almost got into our class. I would of loved to see AG's face if he would of said that during the introductions.

I don't know if I heard this from AG or Joe but apparently, when the class first rolled out, there were plenty taking the class just so they could argue againt DIR.

And I've also heard of a couple of hard core anti-DIR people who "saw the light" if you will. In fact, didn't MHK used to be anti-DIR?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom