Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I cannot imagine you make any more than a pittance, if anything at all, on this course.
Make money teaching diving??? Perish the thought! I fear I'm one of those part timers who's the bane of guys who actually want to make money at it, just charging enough to get by and help the shop keep the doors open. My chief return is the creation of more good, enthusiastic dive buddies who dive with us a lot and keep us (the shop) afloat.
Even at that you can find even cheaper courses than ours (especially if you include boat fees etc) by heading south.
Rick :)

Rick, your class sounds great with more meat than SSI's Deep Diver course. The only disadvantage I can see is that the card holder doesn't have a card to get rich Nitrox fills. But on limited deco dives, EAN40 or 36 can be used. We do it a lot in Cozumel because the shops can buy EAN36 premixed from the cylinder company as opposed to PP mixing.

You offer a lot for a small amount of money, but it amounts to volunteer work on your part. I think it's unfair to criticize GUE instructors because you are willing to work for free.

jonnythan:
You offer a lot for a small amount of money, but it amounts to volunteer work on your part. I think it's unfair to criticize GUE instructors because you are willing to work for free.
My only criticism of GUE is that they have a class structured for failure. It needs restructuring, and no one seems to be making any moves to do that. To say that the internal workings of GUE don't provide the means for that restructuring is not an acceptable excuse, nor is trying to shift the blame to folks who "work for free." Both are classic logical fallacies. If GUE really wanted to restructure the course they could do it, but it would take a shift in mind-set that probably isn't there. The end result is that the structure makes the cost/benefit too high for many; many who say they'd "like to take the course" follow that with "but..." and don't.
I'm sure that GUE has plenty of sound reasons - to them - that my advice is bad. We just see things differently... and that ain't likely to change :)
Rick

I just can't see how GUE would be able to restructure the class without making it more expensive or less convenient. Most GUE instructors already travel for many of their classes, and spreading it out over two weekends would increase travel expenses by twofold.

In any case, it seems like a non-issue to me, since if you don't pass your first time you can show up at a later class or schedule some other time with the instructor for free to do a checkout dive and actually pass.

Rick Murchison:
My only criticism of GUE is that they have a class structured for failure.
The pass/fail is there for the purpose of whether or not a student is allowed to continue on with other GUE education.

For that, it works perfectly.

jonnythan:
In any case, it seems like a non-issue to me, since if you don't pass your first time you can show up at a later class or schedule some other time with the instructor for free to do a checkout dive and actually pass.

Like you did?

I have been wanting to take the DIR course for a couple years now and availability is definitely an issue. It is usually always when or where I can't seem to get to. The closest DIR class is usually 5 to 6 hours away from me in either direction and there are only a couple classes a year that are doable for me. Unfortunately I don't have any buddies who desire the class so I can't bring an instructor here. There is a shop that has a GUE instructor about 7 hours away, but he seems to not have any desire to return my calls or e-mails. Hopefully the one that did contact me will have a class I can go to next year. Another problem is there are a lot of places without a large "Tech" market and a many people see DIR/GUE strictly as technical diving. Also, there is a lack of regular classes that are easy to plan for. I have also heard of classes that go on that I never saw posted on GUE's website. Can't join them if you don't know anything about them. I also was suppose to meet up with a GUE instructor at a quarry that is about 5 hours from me, since I had plans to be there for an event my LDS was holding. Come to find out, the class was moved much further away. Had I wanted to take the class, I would have had to opt out due to the amount of time I would have had to travel.

For what it is worth though, I am going 5 hours away to take IANTD Deep and Advanced EANx with an instructor that used to be associated with my local shop. It is going to take place over 2 weekends and will be a lot to cover since the pool session will be 6 hours one day and the lecture will be 8 hours another day. The second weekend session will be 2 days with 3 dives each since IANTD allows you to combine classes. I also plan on taking Tech and Trimix with the same instructor , hopefully after I finish DIR-F and get some more dives in.

Jason B:
Like you did?
No... I'm a super lazy butt and didn't end up showing up the next time MHK was in the area for a class, so I ended up taking it again with another instructor.

Why I am still witing to attend a DIR-F class ???

1) First I thought that I would not have passed the course but after reading some of these messages I decided that a card means nothing, all that is important is good training...

2) I got more that 200 dives under my belt and I do not like my *** to be kicked but if I want to become a better diver I undestand that my *** has to be kicked...

Well, after all these profund considerations I went to the DIR Italy website where I discovered that a DIR-F class will take place in september...

Then I went to the page with the prices:

- Tutition Fee 500 Euro
- Diving Center Fee 200 Euro

If you take into consideration that I have to drive to Portofino (250 Km), stay in a hotel for at least 4 nights, eating and everything else this class would cost me at least 1.100 Euro (1.300 USD) !!!

I am pretty sure that the quality of this class is incredible but with 1.100 Euro I can make at least 55 dives here where I live or go to Sharm El Sheikh for a week in a 5 stars hotel and with 10 dives included...

The price is what is stopping me from attending a DIR-F class, it's a pity...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Back
Top Bottom