Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
We shoot the bag at the 30 foot stop. The most difficult part is making the gas switch at 110 feet in blue water without a reference except your team. The 10 foot stop is pretty easy if you are aware of the current. The freaky thing about the 10 foot stop is those conditions is that the water is so bright from the sun, you feel like you need sunglasses to see. My ears do not register a 1 foot change.

Then why not shoot the bag at 110 feet? Or use 50% nitrox and switch at 70 and shoot it from there?

Like Perrone Said, there are no points for making things hard on yourself.

Rick Murchison:
It's just called "Advanced Nitrox" (mine is an "individual specialty" under SSI) but it includes deco procedures.

Does it certify you to dive rich mixes of Nitrox like TDI Advanced Nitrox?

limeyx:
Then why not shoot the bag at 110 feet? Or use 50% nitrox and switch at 70 and shoot it from there?

Like Perrone Said, there are no points for making things hard on yourself.

This was a class and my instructor set the parameters. I'm not a masochist. :lol:

It was puposely made hard.

FFMDiver:
I'm not a great diver, but I think the course is about breaking down experienced divers and not so much about molding newbies. While they were very nice, a few seemed to use somewhat military-style or skinner-style tactics with wrist slapping etc. They also seem to accentuate some of the more negative aspects of divers during the equipment judgement and video viewing which may be a another attempt to break those with large egos down. As a newbie at the time, I didnt find it to be a training session per-se, rather a series of small tests. Would experienced comfortable divers be interested in being challenged in this way? Perhaps if moving into cave or wreck. I'll probably sign up again just for the challenge (without my FFM of course).

That wasn't my experience in my DIRF course. Mostly it was just showing you what your frog kick looked like and pretty much letting you draw your own conclusions, watching your buoyancy and general flailing about during OOA drills and letting you draw your own conclusions, etc. We were all far more brutal on ourselves than the instructor was during the video review, he just got the ball rolling and showed us what to look for...

Now I'm curious about FFMDiver's comment on wrist slapping. Does anyone actually slap your wrist?

TheRedHead:
Now I'm curious about FFMDiver's comment on wrist slapping. Does anyone actually slap your wrist?
My buddy that took Cave 1 during his class he went to put a finger down on the bottom and either Danny or Chris came out of nowhere to slap his wrist.

JeffG:
My buddy that took Cave 1 during his class he went to put a finger down on the bottom and either Danny or Chris came out of nowhere to slap his wrist.

My instructor signaled me for my pressure and grabbed my hand when I went to unclip. He told my buddy he was going to tie his hands together. But in Fundies??

TheRedHead:
Does it certify you to dive rich mixes of Nitrox like TDI Advanced Nitrox?
TDI's wording for their Advanced Nitrox course says "This course examines the use of EAN 21 through 100% (oxygen) for optimal mixes to a depth of 130fsw/40msw. The object of this course is to train divers in the benefits, hazards and proper procedures for utilizing EAN 21 through 100% (oxygen) for dives not requiring staged decompression."
My wording's a little different... So the answer to your question is that I only use mixes over 40% as deco gas. This lets me teach the course without the student having to buy and mess with an oxygen clean bottle and regulator unless they want to do so.
Rick

"I. Course Objective
The Student will be able to adequately plan and safely execute no-stop and staged decompression dives using Nitrox or air in open water to depths of 130 feet or less.
A. The student will demonstrate understanding of the underlying physics and physiology for such dives, be able to properly rig and use the equipment required, demonstrate sound planning including site selection, environmental and diving fitness considerations, calculation of best Nitrox mixes (22%-40%), sound gas management, navigation, depth/time profile planning and emergency planning for no-stop and staged decompression dives.
B. The student will demonstrate the in-water skills required to execute the planned dives, manage diving equipment and accessories, and to adapt the plan to changing circumstances typical to open water diving. The student will demonstrate the procedures to be followed in the event of a diving emergency. The student will demonstrate sound judgment, good spatial orientation, good headwork under stress and good teamwork.
III Limits ...

E. Decompression
No actual staged decompression dives are required for course completion.
Actual or simulated decompression will be performed on at least two dives.
Decompression dives shall not be planned to require more than a single stop, or more than 15 minutes at a single stop, however simulated multiple stops are encouraged.
B. (optional) Decompression gas – Nitrox (above 40%) or pure oxygen. If the instructor allows use of other than bottom gas for decompression, instructor must provide additional training and tables to accommodate its use. Decompression bottles must be managed to prevent accidental use below decompression gas MOD based on a maximum oxygen exposure of 1.6 ATA.
1. Decompression cylinders must be clearly marked ...
Rick

TSandM:
For those of you who would consider taking Fundies

Why not? We've had a couple of classes here in Seattle not fill, and it puzzles me. It's SUCH a good class, and I keep reading of people who are unhappy they can't get access to such a class. And here we are in the Puget Sound region, loaded with divers, and spots are going empty.

Do you not have the equipment? Is it too expensive? Are you too far from anywhere where the class is held? Is it the reputation for difficulty that's stopping you?

No need to hear from those who wouldn't take the class if their life depended on it, now . . . :)
None of the above, it's not my style.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom