Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Yeah, it'd be tough. But somehow those six week courses seem to manage... and the cost needn't be higher and the logistics needn't suck if the agency would actively recruit and train enough instructors to support a decent course structure in enough places to keep said cost and logistics down.
But I'm spittin' in the wind with that one, yes?
Rick
Realistically, Rick, the only six-week classes I'm aware of at the recreational level are those that are taught through colleges. Even my YMCA OW class was only four weeks long ... and it was the most comprehensive OW class that I know of offered in our area.

Not sure where these six week classes you're talking of are being offered, but around here you'd be hard-pressed to get anyone to sign up for them. Heck, most people don't even want the two-week class ... the 3-day self-study courses draw three to four times as many students on average.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It's easy to criticize ... especially easy to sit back and say from a distance "this is what I would do" (so why ain't ya doing it?) ...
My Advanced Nitrox course is spread over six weeks, with plenty of practice time for in-water skills both formally scheduled and informally encouraged. In addition to far more academics, the exit skills competence in such things as buoyancy control, trim, teamwork, equipment handling, etc are at least as tight as what I've seen from both DIR-F grads and 5th-D videos. The price - $250.
Standing by for the next objection... :D
Rick

NWGratefulDiver:
Realistically, Rick, the only six-week classes I'm aware of at the recreational level are those that are taught through colleges. Even my YMCA OW class was only four weeks long ... and it was the most comprehensive OW class that I know of offered in our area.
Not sure where these six week classes you're talking of are being offered, but around here you'd be hard-pressed to get anyone to sign up for them. Heck, most people don't even want the two-week class ... the 3-day self-study courses draw three to four times as many students on average.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Must be a regional thing to some extent. We offer OW in a six week structure, on down to a one week (seven day) structure with several other in-between options. About half our students opt for the six week course.
A lot probably has to do with the fact that we're three hours from the salt water, so folks are accustomed to having lots of time between Gulf visits.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
My Advanced Nitrox course is spread over six weeks, with plenty of practice time for in-water skills both formally scheduled and informally encouraged. In addition to far more academics, the exit skills competence in such things as buoyancy control, trim, teamwork, equipment handling, etc are at least as tight as what I've seen from both DIR-F grads and 5th-D videos. The price - $250.
Rick

Yea, but you're too far away. Can you hire a few dozen more instructors so I don't have to travel? Price is great though. Let's leave that.

Rick Murchison:
Rick
Not an objection ... simply an observation.

But there's a difference between DIR-F and Advanced nitrox in terms of objectives, criteria, and targeted audience. About how many hours of class time, pool time, and open water time does your Advanced Nitrox class cover?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

PerroneFord:
Rick,

The fact seems to be that there are few capable AND willing instructors who want to sign on at GUE. I don't think it's an issue of recruitment.

If you look at the current pool of instructors and then weed out:

1. Those who smoke
2. Those who drink beyond moderation
3. Those willing to get to at least Tech1 or Cave 1
4. Those willing and able to deal with the stigma of being GUE

The pool is incredibly small.

And lets not get into the politics of GUE instructors who current do, or formerly did smoke or drink. I already know the stories.
Well..... I don't smoke, I don't drink much, I'm full cave and trimix qualed...
but...
I'm old, fat & ugly - and set in my ways. I do teach folks how to maintain good trim & buoyancy control, frog kick, scull, backwards kick, shoot bags, manipulate valves, manage stages & deco bottles, tie knots, do in-place turns, use lines, ID critters, find thngs, see things, have fun under water, handle emergencies, etc, etc...
Worst of all I think there's a place for vertical ascents, custom (non-standard) blends and deco on 80%!
Rick :)

there's a lot of ways of diving safely. to me, diving safely is diving right.

there's also a lot of ways of diving unsafely. to me, diving unsafely is diving wrong.

if you stay safe and avoid unsafe, you're doing it right in my book

that said, DIR-F is one of the safe ways

My SSI OW class was 6 weeks [18hrs of class & 18hrs of pool], it was a very comprehensive class, the LDS doesn't seem to have any trouble getting people to sign up and make the commitment, I think I paid $150. I wouldn't trade it for a 2-3 day course for the world. But that's a totally different topic.

Garrett

NWGratefulDiver:
Not an objection ... simply an observation.

But there's a difference between DIR-F and Advanced nitrox in terms of objectives, criteria, and targeted audience. About how many hours of class time, pool time, and open water time does your Advanced Nitrox class cover?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Classroom - 12-18 hrs. Typically right at 15 hours.
Pool 4 hours in two sessions with more pool time encouraged
OW - minimum one full day of practice without instructor; more encouraged
With instructor, four OW evaluation dives - two basic skills evaluations, two deep (100-130') with minimum (simulated if necessary) 10 minute deco.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Classroom - 12-18 hrs. Typically right at 15 hours.
Pool 4 hours in two sessions with more pool time encouraged
OW - minimum one full day of practice without instructor; more encouraged
Four OW evaluation dives - two basic skills evaluations, two deep (100-130') with minimum (simulated if necessary) 10 minute deco.
Rick
Wish I had six weeks to spend in your neck of the woods ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom