Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
I don't think GUE really cares.

not sure .... what i do know is that, for whatever reason, they haven't marketed DIR-F very much at all

and if you're going to market DIR (tech and cave classes), DIR-F is the place to start

1_T_Submariner:
OK, I have read about 75% of the responses to this thread. So Let me ask the question:

WHY should I spend $300 on the Class and more on the equipment to take the Class?

I am not that familar I guess with what the class teaches in a weekend. I know I could look it up but, those that are for the taking the class please tell me what you personally got out of it that made it worth it.
I took the class to see what I would learn from it as well as how the material was being taught. I now use a lot of it my OW course. Seeing the students achieve a high level of bouyancy control as well as being able to make sound dive plans is very satisfying.

It improved my diving and improved my teaching.

lamont:
I don't think GUE really cares. Either you get it or you don't in their view. Remember, they're trying to produce tech 2 / cave 2 divers that can participate as part of teams in exploration diving. The DIRF class is designed to make sure that tech 1 and cave 1 classes don't degenerate completely into rehashes of fundies skills. The effect on the larger recreational diving community is largely incidental, although with the rec/tech levels of passes for DIRF they seem to be acknowledging the effect is there and giving a nod to it, but you have to remember that isn't their purpose...

I think personally this aspect about the organization was a bit of a put-off for me. Even though I do not need to be the best, I had to wonder if I wanted to belong to something that might not really be interested in having me. I will never be part of an exploration team, and sometimes it really does appear like mere mortals are not the target group. It's harder to commit if you feel you might not get the commitment back when the truth becomes obvious (= just mere mortal here).

piikki:
I think personally this aspect about the organization was a bit of a put-off for me. Even though I do not need to be the best, I had to wonder if I wanted to belong to something that might not really be interested in having me. I will never be part of an exploration team, and sometimes it really does appear like mere mortals are not the target group. It's harder to commit if you feel you might not get the commitment back when the truth becomes obvious (= just mere mortal here).

that is where the instructor is more important than the agency. you *do* have to understand what the purpose of the agency is, and that will affect weither or not you get a card from them or not. but, if you're interested in putting together a DIRF course which is geared towards the workshop style and improving a bunch of recreational divers then you may find an instructor that can get enthusiastic about that, and that may be all that you're looking for. really when you get down to it, none of the instructors are bad guys and most of them will be happy to have the opportunity to help you become better divers if they know what your expectations are up front.

I didn't take the class but two different GUE instructors nivited me to sit in on classes. the invitation from MHK was sort of last minute and I had my own class going that weekend but I was able to catch part of it. I was impressed. Later BCS extended an invitation and I was able to attend the whole thing except for the Friday night lecture (I was there for all of Sat and Sun).

I was impressed with just about everything about the material, its presentation and the overall design of the class. And the instructors dive well too! The instructors that I watched were gifted teachers as well! Watching MHK teach was almost as much fun as argueing with him online.

The only thing that I don't care for about the course is that 2 days (4 dives?) doesn't provide enough practice for many of the students to show a great deal of improvement before the end of the class...which is why so many get a provisional "pass". There is just an awful lot being tossed at students for a 21/2 day class. It takes all weekend to show divers what they can't do well and show them how to do it. Most have to go spend time practicing on their own. I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, just not what I'm used to. Now, given that just about everything taught in the class is the same stuff that an OW class claims to teach, that should tell you something.

And...it's true that recreational instructors don't do any better than any one else. LOL

If you do like JBD said and incorporate into an OW class, by the end of a reasonable length course you have divers that are looking pretty good. Maybe not all the way there but well on their way.

The course isn't overpriced at all, IMO. Given what the other choices are for recreational divers, I'd recommend the course to just about anyone.

Oh, BTW, though I dive a Hogarthian configuration and I like to see diving done well, I'm not and have never claimed to be "DIR".

TSandM:
For those of you who would consider taking Fundies

Why not? We've had a couple of classes here in Seattle not fill, and it puzzles me. It's SUCH a good class, and I keep reading of people who are unhappy they can't get access to such a class. And here we are in the Puget Sound region, loaded with divers, and spots are going empty.

Do you not have the equipment? Is it too expensive? Are you too far from anywhere where the class is held? Is it the reputation for difficulty that's stopping you?

No need to hear from those who wouldn't take the class if their life depended on it, now . . . :)

For me it is two fold:

1. Time and location I do not believe there is a class close enough to take without having to stay in a hotel for several days. Doing on vacation might be an option.

2. Equipment The thought of having to rent/buy new equipment when I have spent $$$ on perfectly good recreational scuba equipment is hard to justify.

As a newer diver I could learn a lot from a DIRF class and the thought of having something to work toward and practice is appealing.

My wife says she has an issue with the all black thing. Not a good fashion statement:D

Boy, I am nothing if not mere mortal . . . especially when it comes to diving. Never did I get the feeling that my Fundies instructor didn't want to teach me, or didn't feel it was worthwhile. I was very clear when I took the class that all I wanted was to be a better recreational diver, and that was fine with him. (That has since changed, but DIR-F is a gateway drug.) The same instructor dove with us repeatedly after the class, at no charge, to help us practice and to keep giving feedback on how we were doing. Nobody thinks either of us is going to join the WKPP. Nobody cares.

What did I get out of the class that was so great? After the class, and the practice I did, I've gotten much improved buoyancy (ask Bob!), tolerance of task loading, non-silting kicks, a back kick (yay!), and the ability to launch an SMB without losing buoyancy control. I've got a good dive planning structure and a pre-dive routine. I have the beginnings of an understanding of team diving, and I've improved my situational awareness a ton. Best of all, I got a practice buddy who is committed, as I am, to improving our diving steadily -- and diving with him and my other friends, I have SO MUCH MORE FUN than I did before I took the class. Need more reasons?

I'd like someone to explain something for me. There is this common theme of DIR dislikers who say they don't like people telling them how to dive, and it blows my mind. BLOWS MY MIND. When you went through your basic certification, what do you think was going on? You were being told how to dive. Very minimally probably. And now you, however many years its been since you were certified, somehow think that the way you "learned" to dive (trial and error? groping in the dark?) is somehow under vicious attack? The entire kingdom of DIR is coming for you, convert or die? I see complaints about needing to change out your gear, but I see all over this forum people buying exorbitant broken fins and lazy computers. Whats the price of another BC, one likely to last you forever after you buy it, when some people are already on their second or third BC? Looking to update their computer? Explain yourselves?!

I blame being old.

TheFoggyMask:
There is this common theme of DIR dislikers who say they don't like people telling them how to dive, and it blows my mind. BLOWS MY MIND. When you went through your basic certification, what do you think was going on? You were being told how to dive. Very minimally probably.

no you don't get away with using logic with me, bubba...

TheFoggyMask:
I'd like someone to explain something for me. There is this common theme of DIR dislikers who say they don't like people telling them how to dive, and it blows my mind. BLOWS MY MIND. When you went through your basic certification, what do you think was going on? You were being told how to dive. Very minimally probably. And now you, however many years its been since you were certified, somehow think that the way you "learned" to dive (trial and error? groping in the dark?) is somehow under vicious attack? The entire kingdom of DIR is coming for you, convert or die? I see complaints about needing to change out your gear, but I see all over this forum people buying exorbitant broken fins and lazy computers. Whats the price of another BC, one likely to last you forever after you buy it, when some people are already on their second or third BC? Looking to update their computer? Explain yourselves?!

I blame being old.

What a lot of people don't like is changing from the configuration they have been diving for a long time. I'm that way. I would have to change my set up to dive DIR. Those are the rules, I'm told.

I learned to dive from mentors, diving with people better than me, including FULL DIR guys and practice. A LOT of diving. No one said anything about "the entire kingdom of DIR" coming after anyone. A lot of divers cannot afford to buy another BC. They have families and other commitments.

There. Explained. I blame being young for some of the rants I've heard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom