Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
It wasn't an obvious decision for me because for the same price I could have taken TDI's adv. nitrox/deco procedures, but I was impressed by the control and techniques demonstrated by DIR divers on the clips I saw,

These courses aren't comparable. TDI Deco Procedures is a deep air course (to 150 feet) and you need to be a sound diver to take this course. A better comparison could be made to Cavern and Fundamentals.

TSandM:
As someone who has dived with both of them, I'd amend this: If you are diving with Uncle Pug or NW Grateful Diver, you need to take DIR-F and you know it and know why!
With such fine mentors there would be no need for a class from someone else.:wink:

bradshsi:
I've yet to have that particular pleasure. Unfortunately his office is a bit too far north for me. Still hopefully one day.
I'm with you on that!! They just simply live too far away---still, hopefully one day.

TSandM:
Yeah, Stephen, you're right. I guess it just distresses me that such a great resource is going begging.

I definitely hear what you're saying, Lynne.

This has nothing to do with DIRF but let me share something with you that might exemplify where I'm coming from...

.. several weeks ago a gal started at our shop. She's really into diving... or thinks she is... claims that she wants to become a cave diver... do it all! One of the shop owners brought her into the pool area where I was tweaking a few things and asked if I would be willing to mentor her. I was thrilled... we get so few folks that are interested in this stuff and I am VERY picky about who I take on. (Though I had just met her I assumed that my buddy had already determined that she was "my type".) She was in the process of purchasing her gear and had already ordered a plate, wing and reg. I suggested to her that she consider getting a quality secondary but she was set on getting the free octo that AL was offering... should have been my first clue. I told her how to get hold of me and that I would be glad to help her with all things diving... haven't heard from her since. She has been on several trips and the word is she is having a VERY difficult time with her rig and her diving in general. She knows that the pool is open and that we would like to spend some quality, one on one time to get her comfortable. Has she bothered to come in? Nope. Just like so many others, it appears that she just doesn't want to invest the time, effort and money... and I GIVE AWAY my time and knowledge. It is truly disappointing... but so typical. Unfortunately, this is so often the way it goes.

TheRedHead:
These courses aren't comparable. TDI Deco Procedures is a deep air course (to 150 feet) and you need to be a sound diver to take this course. A better comparison could be made to Cavern and Fundamentals.

I wasn't trying to suggest that they were similar, just that they would have cost me about the same and I was choosing between the two because on that particular trip I only had time and money for one scuba course. Similarly, I'm sure others are choosing between DIRF and other courses when deciding what scuba course to take next.

TheRedHead:
A better comparison could be made to Cavern and Fundamentals.

Most definitely.

jonnythan:
I've had instructors, OW divers, AOW divers, and tech divers make rude comments and/or tell me I was going to die because of my backplate and wing.

They didn't make me quit diving.

I fail to see the logic in not taking a class because some people who have taken the class are idiots. If everyone followed that logic... well, no one would take any scuba classes at all.
I didn't quit diving. I dive alot. I don't dive with idiots and since I have met few DIR divers I care to dive with I don't desire to be part of that scene.
Besides I doubt my megalodon could be configured DIR

Diver Dennis:
As Jeff knows there is maybe one? instructor in Western Canada.
0 in Western Canada. 1 in Eastern Canada and he will travel. There is a guy in the PNW though.

wedivebc:
Besides I doubt my megalodon could be configured DIR

Sure it could. Just fly it manually! LOL!

PerroneFord:
Sure it could. Just fly it manually! LOL!
Yeah but how do you stow 7feet of rebreather hose?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom