Why not Fundies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

which brings up a serious point:

how does a two-man team on rebreathers do an OOA?

H2Andy:

one goes glub glub glub :wink:

H2Andy:

Rebreather divers carry their own redundant gas so OOA drill is a cinch.

so basically the OOA diver would go to his own backup gas, and the team would
terminate the dive?

so how much extra gas do you carry between the two divers? enough for one diver to do all their deco on gas if their unit fails?

(sorry for the hijack)

OK, I have read about 75% of the responses to this thread. So Let me ask the question:

WHY should I spend $300 on the Class and more on the equipment to take the Class?

I am not that familar I guess with what the class teaches in a weekend. I know I could look it up but, those that are for the taking the class please tell me what you personally got out of it that made it worth it.

1_T_Submariner:
WHY should I spend $300 on the Class and more on the equipment to take the Class?

that is, indeed, the question. i don't think GUE has done enough to educate divers as to why DIR-F is a bargain

H2Andy:
so how much extra gas do you carry? enough to do all your deco if your unit fails?
I've seen two schools of thought. One which takes all the deco gas required just in case. The other "pools" the teams bottles for the malfunctioning RB.

ah, cool ... thank you

bradshsi:
Some equipment flexibility that would allow use of at least some of my existing equipment. I'm ok with a long hose setup, but my Transpac stays.

if you treat the class like a workshop and don't plan on rectriox/tech1/cave1 then there's nothing stopping you from talking to an instructor and taking it in split fins and a jacket BC. some instructors have commented that they miss having people show up for the class in split fins because they don't get any good video evidence of what an attempted back kick looks like in a split fin, etc. the only really necessary thing that you need to have is a long hose for the class -- although you should clear it with the instructor first, because if you've got a bunch of people who show up in doubles and the full DIR kit looking for a pass to tech1/cave1 you could upset the applecart a bit... get together a bunch of like-minded people who want a workshop class (like DIRF used to be) in non-DIR gear and set the instructors expectations and get them to agree to it and you should be good.

H2Andy:
that is, indeed, the question. i don't think GUE has done enough to educate divers as to why DIR-F is a bargain

I don't think GUE really cares. Either you get it or you don't in their view. Remember, they're trying to produce tech 2 / cave 2 divers that can participate as part of teams in exploration diving. The DIRF class is designed to make sure that tech 1 and cave 1 classes don't degenerate completely into rehashes of fundies skills. The effect on the larger recreational diving community is largely incidental, although with the rec/tech levels of passes for DIRF they seem to be acknowledging the effect is there and giving a nod to it, but you have to remember that isn't their purpose...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom