Why not BP/W for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firstly, sorry for bringing back an old thread! I am looking at a BP/W setup for my 11 year old son, he is very comfortable in the water (read doesn't want to get out of water) and my wife & I have the idea that learning to know your own gear is preferable to hiring gear & not being 100% sure of where all the buckles etc. are! I like the idea of a BP/W because then he won't grow out of it & it seems to be a much simpler setup (once properly configured). Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks!:confused:

the only thing i'd say is don't trim the harness or you'll have to get a new one whenever he grows. just fold the end over & tuck with some inner tube.

it's a great idea to get him one.

My long winded question is this, when checking out gear at my local LDS, I am steered towards a jacket style BC. Is there a reason why a beginner should choose to not use a BP/W?

Find another LDS who is willing to teach you with your BP/W. I did my OW with a BP/W.

Firstly, sorry for bringing back an old thread! I am looking at a BP/W setup for my 11 year old son, he is very comfortable in the water (read doesn't want to get out of water) and my wife & I have the idea that learning to know your own gear is preferable to hiring gear & not being 100% sure of where all the buckles etc. are! I like the idea of a BP/W because then he won't grow out of it & it seems to be a much simpler setup (once properly configured). Any thoughts would be highly appreciated. Thanks!:confused:

There's no reason for a new diver not to use a BP&W. The modular nature of a BP&W will allow it to be adjusted as your son grows, but there are limits.

Assuming your son is less than 5'3" tall he should consider a "small" back plate. As he grows he will eventually need a larger plate.

The appropriate wing is primarily a function of the buoyancy of the divers exposure suit. Here too a larger diver, who is perhaps alos wearing heavier exposure protection will eventually need a larger wing.

Harness webbing is inexpensive, $8-10 buys enough to relace a plate.

I would not recommend starting a smaller diver in a full sized plate and a large wing so they could "grow into it."

Tobin

Can't see any issue. Some people love wings, some people hate wings. So try both and then decide.

Harnesses are more of a pain to set up initially especially if you're going from thin or no wetsuit in a pool to drysuit in open water (pain to keep adjusting) and so on but if you aren't changing gear that much its fine.

Try some wings, try some different harnesses, try some BCs of different brands then decide whats best for YOU. Don't let anyone else tell you "this is better" - it may not be the best for you.

Hello guys,

I have to say that I did most of my SSI pool dives with a Zeagle Scout and I was having a really hard time staying horizontal. Then I bought my gear, and I got a Dacor Talon that is a jacket BC and I am able to get horizontal and stay that way very easily. I have to say that I did not know about triming when I was using the Scout, but I still like my BC better at least for now. I know a Wing is the way to go in the future and I will probably do that next year when I get my wife into diving. I will give her my used stuff and then I will get a new BC :D:wink:

Well, I have a little current experience with this EXACT situation. My 10 year old grandson was certified about 3 weeks ago. I had the same thoughts and was also in the process of replacing my own jacket style BC (20 years old) with a DSS BP/W.

First, I LIKE my SeaQuest ADVi jacket. It doesn't crush me because of the way the bladder is connected to a floating (isolated) harness and cummerbund. So, we can dispense with that old wives' tale. There's nothing wrong with a well designed jacket and it does tend to keep the diver vertical at the surface.

I have the DSS BP/W and, yes, if the bladder is overinflated, it WILL push the diver forward, especially if they are using a buoyant tank like an Al 80. So, from personal experience, I am convinced that this wives' tale is true. The push can be overcome but it is real.

Now, if the bladder is not over inflated the tendency to push is much less but the head isn't held as far out of the water. OTOH, the BP/W is very comfortable while floating on your back. This works very well with a heavier tank like a steel HP 100. On your back, you can float forever! A highly negative tank like the HP 100 also helps offset the push when trying to float vertical. I'm still trying to get comfortable with the BP/W - it will come.

For my grandson, I bought a back-inflate BCD with an integrated weight system Edge Stealth Weight Integrated BC It has an enormous amount of flotation and I am reasonably convinced it will push him forward as well.

But I now hate integrated weights! The BC is just too heavy to move and, when attached to a tank, the weight is insane. We're looking at something well over 50#. Now, the weight won't be any less if the ballast is moved to a weight belt or harness but at least it doesn't have to be hoisted all at once.

For the purposes of the OW class, consider letting your son use a rental BC and preferably a jacket style. It is a lot more comfortable for a new diver and he's only making 4 checkout dives. Consider also splitting up the ballast. Put some or all on a weight belt/harness and the remainder or none in the integrated pockets.

One of the school exercises is ditch/don of the BC on the surface. A purely DIR harness won't have a buckle in the arm strap. This may complicate the exercise. I have the PRO harness on my DSS BP/W for the specific reason that it has these buckles.

I too contemplated the best choice for my grandson. I'm not sure the back-inflate BCD was the best choice. But it's the one I made and it seems to work out ok. After all, like your son, he won't get out of the water and once he is under water, the back-inflate or BP/W is absolutely the way to go. But, for the class, the students spent a good deal of time floating at the surface. I believe a jacket does a better job of this.

My grandson will be getting a BP/W in the next few months. For the moment, the back-inflate BC is working well enough and he's having a ball. But the BC was always a starter device; there was always the intent to move to a BP/W after he gained a little experience in the ocean.

Other opinions will vary and I am sure I will receive flack for perpetuating the idea that BP/Ws push the diver forward. But that's the way it works for me.

Best wishes for your son and his training!

Richard

Last edited:
I cannot believe what I am reading. All of these people think you should get a B&W without first owning a jackets style BC? Now I have read everything....this is the worst batch of advice I have ever read. Just kidding. There is absolutely no reason not to go BP&W right away. I know lots of people that started out with a jacket and learned to love diving. I know some that started with BP&W and learned to love diving. I know some that started Jacket and swiched later to BP&W and learned to love diving. My point it, no matter what your gear selection, you love diving as long as you dive safely. Contrary to what some may say, you will not enjoy diving with a jacket any less if you start that way. But from what I can gather, once you go BP&W, you will never look back.

I would go BP&W if I could just stop pressing the "Submit Order" or "Buy Now" buttons on other things like redundant computers, video cameras.....

Redhawk, I have been teaching kids to dive for the last 7 years in BP&W's and I always recommend them for purchase.
There are, however, a couple of extra considerations for smaller kids.
On rigs with STA's it is sometimes imposable to get the tank mounted low enough to avoid banging the head on the regulator. A smaller plate can help with this but the best method is to cross over the shoulder straps behind the divers head. By doing this he can uncross the straps as he grows and not have to buy a regular size plate. (DSS plates can be mounted higher on the tank and work great for the smaller frame diver)
Another thing to consider is Al or SS. If he still has allot of pool training ahead of him then a SS plate will probably be too heavy...for the pool.
If he has a small frame and will be diving with a steal tank there is allot of weight behind him that can have a bit of "turn turtle" effect, although this is not something that is exclusive to BP&W's.
Adolescent boys and crotch straps don't mix!!!!...at first.
A little more care has to be taken with the wing to avoid the drop/pinch punctures.

My son is 5'3", weighs 130#. To date he always dives in a 5mm suit (can't see that changing) and carries 10% weight on a belt, this I'm sure will come down (I'm 6'4". 310# & use 9# weights). He dives with a 10ltr steel cylinder and the BP/W set I'm looking at does have the option of a aluminium backplate & 30# wing which I think would be ideal for him.

Back
Top Bottom