Why not BP/W for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While you will find 100% of DIR divers in back plates, it's simply not true that BP&W = DIR.

I talk with many new BP&W divers every week from all parts of the country and around the world. Many either have no idea of what DIR means, or they have a negative opinion, usually based on miss information. A minority know of "DIR" and a smaller minority are actually headed down that path.

Tobin

I second that.

Originally Posted by bfw:
. Without getting into who is right, BP/W enthusiasts tend to support a philosophy called DIR

This is actually almost funny. Here in the Seattle area, there are a TON of people diving BP/W setups who would spit at you if you accused them of being DIR . . .

I am 100% in agreement with cool_hardware52 like I said check on what DIR have to say about banded wings which I dive with its kind of amusing.

The reason your LDS wants you in a jacket is so they can "upgrade" you to a more expensive BC in a year or so. Don't go for it. I put all of my adult OW students in a BP/W from day one. If you purchase a good plate and wing now, you will never have to buy another buoyancy control system, it will grow with you as your diving needs and skills increase. I only recommend two BP/W manufacturers, Halcyon and DSS. BTW, Welcome to diving and ScubaBoard. Good luck and safe diving. :palmtree: Bob

+1 to Bob's reply, save for the limited (albeit great) list of BP/W component manufacturers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom