Why not BP/W for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off, I'm new to diving and new to this board so I'm still very green.

I am planning my dive gear purchases and without a large amount of disposable income I would like to be able to make the right equipment purchase the first go round. From what I have read, there is alot to be said for a BP/W setup. It appeals to me partly because of simplicity, and because I can see the benefits of being able to maintain a horizontal attitude. My experiences with a jacket style BC have resulted with me finning to remain close to level.

My long winded question is this, when checking out gear at my local LDS, I am steered towards a jacket style BC. Is there a reason why a beginner should choose to not use a BP/W?

Thanks for the information I've already picked up from lurking around for a while!

I can't think of any rational explanation for that.

Go for the BP/W!

And welcome to scubaboard! :D

<snip>
My long winded question is this, when checking out gear at my local LDS, I am steered towards a jacket style BC. <snip>

Does your LDS sell BP/Ws? :wink:

I was certified in a jacket-style BC and absolutely hated it. There was no doubt in my mind to buy a BP/W when I was ready to buy a BC. I did, and I love it! :)

I must say...

I very much agree with the two other post's.

Go and buy and learn with the gear you want.

I feel a BP/W is the way to go, I wish I had made the move from a jacket style, to a BP/W much sooner then I did.

No need at all for a beginner to have to learn in a jacket. A couple of instructors I know teach exclusively in BP/W's and they probably certify 50-100 people a year in BP/W's (and long hose too!)

First off, I'm new to diving and new to this board so I'm still very green.

I am planning my dive gear purchases and without a large amount of disposable income I would like to be able to make the right equipment purchase the first go round. From what I have read, there is alot to be said for a BP/W setup. It appeals to me partly because of simplicity, and because I can see the benefits of being able to maintain a horizontal attitude. My experiences with a jacket style BC have resulted with me finning to remain close to level.

My long winded question is this, when checking out gear at my local LDS, I am steered towards a jacket style BC. Is there a reason why a beginner should choose to not use a BP/W?

Thanks for the information I've already picked up from lurking around for a while!

The reason your LDS wants you in a jacket is so they can "upgrade" you to a more expensive BC in a year or so. Don't go for it. I put all of my adult OW students in a BP/W from day one. If you purchase a good plate and wing now, you will never have to buy another buoyancy control system, it will grow with you as your diving needs and skills increase. I only recommend two BP/W manufacturers, Halcyon and DSS. BTW, Welcome to diving and ScubaBoard. Good luck and safe diving. :palmtree: Bob

There is absolutely no reason why you can't start with a BP&W. Being modular you do need to end up with a combination of compatible parts. Do your research and find a competent seller and you should be fine.

That being said you can have good trim with any BC that fits well and is configured correctly. You can also have poor trim in a BP&W if you don't follow through on set-up and technique.

The answer to the "do they sell BP&W" may be telling.

Pete

Last edited:
It's a B/C, why not ???

If someone at a dive shop tells you that it's a "technical rig", tell 'em to go blow it out of their (you fill in the blank) ______________.

A BP/W is as simple and uncomplicated as it comes and, as Spectrum expressed, it's modular so that it's very easy to maintain or repair.

Go for it.

the K

The only issue I see is if you will be travelling for a lot of your diving and will not be taking your BP/W. Then you will be using jackets from the rental fleet. Why then buy a BP/W?

Actually, the solution is to make sure you bring it!

Back
Top Bottom