Why not BP/W for Beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Zeagle feels very similar to a BP/W from what I here, and the extra padding makes for a very comfortable hike with all your gear on. I am not sure if a BP/W would offer you the same level of comfort and support, please feel free to correct me if I am wrong though.

OMS makes harnesses that are indistinguishable from high end BCD setups. See Fig. #5 here: OMS Technical Dive Harness Backplate Systems http://www.OMSdive.com Ditchable weights are a separate issue.

I suspect that those who dive with a minimalist harness have no desire to bring along the extra bulk.

Richard

i learned in and love my bp/w wing and i wont even tell you the brand because i dont want to make it seem like i am pushing a product.

but i will say this,
i am a school teacher and therefor on a tight budget, so when i purchase ANY gear, my thought is clear;

how much do i have to spend to buy something that will not only allow for upgrades, but that i will NOT "grow out of" .... and you may find that the dollar for dollar comparison from a jacket versus a bp/w is vast, but than measure the cost of buying and selling and upgrading ...

save in the long run ...
dive safe

First off, I'm new to diving and new to this board so I'm still very green.

I am planning my dive gear purchases and without a large amount of disposable income I would like to be able to make the right equipment purchase the first go round. From what I have read, there is alot to be said for a BP/W setup. It appeals to me partly because of simplicity, and because I can see the benefits of being able to maintain a horizontal attitude. My experiences with a jacket style BC have resulted with me finning to remain close to level.

My long winded question is this, when checking out gear at my local LDS, I am steered towards a jacket style BC. Is there a reason why a beginner should choose to not use a BP/W?

Thanks for the information I've already picked up from lurking around for a while!

I can't think of any reason not to use a back plate and wing to learn in. I learned in jacket BC which was a big mistake. I wish I'd started in a BP/W right from the start. Believe me, I was not a stellar OW student, either.

OMS makes harnesses that are indistinguishable from high end BCD setups. See Fig. #5 here: OMS Technical Dive Harness Backplate Systems http://www.OMSdive.com Ditchable weights are a separate issue.

I suspect that those who dive with a minimalist harness have no desire to bring along the extra bulk.

Richard

OFF TOPIC:
I gotta say, I am NOT a fan of OMS. They have poor customer service and anyone who'd make bungeed wings.. well I'd better just let it there. :D

As a guide/instructor in sub-tropical waters (3-5mm wet suits) I see a much higher percentage of uncontrollable ascents by the back inflate noobs than the jacket noobs.

Among traveling divers with their own gear, the percentage with back inflate is growing slowly, but I see less than 10% (maybe more like 5%).

Having worked 3 islands and dove the other two, out of the hundreds of 1000+ dives instructor/guides I have watched less than 5% have back inflate rigs and only a handful have BP/W.

The reason there are options is because everyone is different. Making a decision due SB's very vocal back inflate minority is silly. You should have experience in diving with various rigs before you commit. I have both back inflate and jacket BC's and I prefer jacket; both to wear and for 99% of my students to learn in.

Let's look at independent dive boats; those without retail shops. They are probably paying more for gear because they do not retail, but I don't know any that have back inflate rigs for guests without gear.

It could be that jacket BC's are used on the vast majority of vacation dives because they are the best choice for the vast majority of vacation divers. I am sure some would remove "vacation" from the previous sentence and still be correct.

is it true that 73% of all statistics are made up on the spot?
just curious ... and maybe the thought doesn't even belong here ...

but anyway ... if you were serious enough to be asking for advice in the first place and doing your homework, than more likely than not, you will not be one of those students the gent was talking about regardless of bp/w or jacket ...

also, how many people who have actually experienced this have coined in and said "i have used both and highly recommend you go jacket."

how many have said "i learned on jacket and regret it" alot

how many have said " i learned on bp/w and highly recommend it" a lot

now someone will ring in and say "thats just because the others didnt comment or arent members of scuba board" ... um ok .... so? so they arent as interested in the hobby/sport?
so they arent as dedicated to their learning and such?
so, these are the ones you want to follow advice from?
im confused ...
lol lol lol

but seriously ... i do NOT feel bp/w is the best or worse way (perhaps not the whole truth) but i DO believe the question was this "why shouldnt i learn in a bp/w" and the answer is ...

Let's look at independent dive boats; those without retail shops. They are probably paying more for gear because they do not retail, but I don't know any that have back inflate rigs for guests without gear.

It could be that jacket BC's are used on the vast majority of vacation dives because they are the best choice for the vast majority of vacation divers. I am sure some would remove "vacation" from the previous sentence and still be correct.

Interesting point of view. After my last vacation I was wondering why resort shops dont move to a simple BP/W configuration for their rental gear. The pros for doing this would be:
- Minimal sizing issues - You can pretty much fit anyone with a simple Hog configuration. The amount of gear in your inventory would be greatly reduced thus reducing cost.
- BP/W is modular - If you wear out a wing, just repace the wing. If you wear out a BC you pretty much scrap the whole thing or part it out.

As Halemano eluded to the answer may be that people are just used to jacket BC's so they expect that when they rent one but you would think that dive operators would catch on to economic advantage of a BP/W sent-up and change out some of their gear.

To answer the OPs question without all the noise, there is absolutely NO reason a new diver should not use a back plate and wing. No reason whatsoever, but lots of reasons why he or she should.

As a guide/instructor in sub-tropical waters (3-5mm wet suits) I see a much higher percentage of uncontrollable ascents by the back inflate noobs than the jacket noobs.

Among traveling divers with their own gear, the percentage with back inflate is growing slowly, but I see less than 10% (maybe more like 5%).

Having worked 3 islands and dove the other two, out of the hundreds of 1000+ dives instructor/guides I have watched less than 5% have back inflate rigs and only a handful have BP/W.

The reason there are options is because everyone is different. Making a decision due SB's very vocal back inflate minority is silly. You should have experience in diving with various rigs before you commit. I have both back inflate and jacket BC's and I prefer jacket; both to wear and for 99% of my students to learn in.

Burger King has sold billions of burgers, that doesn't make them good food.

I know many who have switched from jacket to backplate and wing, few if any who have done the opposite.

As for instructors not diving BP/W's, most dive what their shop sells, coincidence?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom