why Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aha!! Thanks TSandM.... i was waiting for someone to reply before i went home...and a very honest answer as well!

Back kick i use all the time, (don't worry it will come natural to you with time)

Still feeling frisky about usefulness of helicopter..... :):)
(second time i have used the word frisky today...)
Internet too slow to look at your link...

It's probably the hardest kick....It's the combination of a frog kick with one foot and a back kick with the other, which makes you spin..it requires a lot of coordination, of which I seem to be lacking.

sciencediver1:
Why would I want to use such an old fin when My fantastic Twin Jets work great. Help me out, Why Jet fins?

Maybe you don't. If you like your Twin Jets better, stay with them. Personally, I don't like Twin Jets. They don't allow fine control and they have no power. I've used lots of different fins, nothing comes close to Lightning Jet Fins for performance.

TSandM:
But now I find it amusing that the Jets aren't anywhere near as easy to do flutter kicking in as my Twin Jets were

Try the flutter with no fins at all. You'll find it's even easier than with Twin Jets and for the same reason - your feet alone don't give you the thrust your Twin Jets produce. OTOH, your Twin Jets don't give you the power of Lightning Jets.

Walter:
... They don't allow fine control and they have no power.

... You'll find it's even easier than with Twin Jets and for the same reason - your feet alone don't give you the thrust your Twin Jets produce. OTOH, your Twin Jets don't give you the power of Lightning Jets.
What is power?

Test after test seem to show that splits move divers faster than paddles, including Jets. Splits don't exhibit the versatility and fine control attributed to Jets, and their fans do have good reason to use them. I'm not dissing Jets. But "power"? Do you mean, like, a cart without wheels is more powerful than one with wheels because it offers more resistance? Or do you mean the Jets move you faster with less effort than splits? That may be true for you, but that would differ from a mass of experience to the contrary.

20 years from now those "split fins" will probably be decomposing in a trash pile somewhere forgotten along with horsecollar Bcs ..... The original design of the Jet fin will be with us forever ... I own a pair from 1968 and have replaced straps several times but with a little care and maintaince they will last another 20 years ....

Hey Mike, how do you turn around in a circle? The "helicopter turn" comes in very handy on reefs as much as in a cave, maybe more so. Suppose you have a camera or video rig and you want to turn around to shoot some footage-heli turn, very easy and it will turn you around in a small area, fins are up high away from the reef and your hands are left to do what they are supposed to do, operate the camera. I can't stand watching a diver "scull" to move around. I won't allow my students to use sculling with their hands-it's a terrible habit and it seems to a be a very difficult one to break. It's a very ineffecient way to change position and on too mnay occasions I've seen divers inadvertantly "smack" another diver with a flopping hand, I put that right up next to the divers who can't stop moving their legs when floating on the surface!
As far as jet fins go, I dive mine in caves and I use Atomics on reefs, however there are several other good paddles out there that can do what jets do. DiveRite's fin seems to be getting some good marks. I know a somewhat "famous" tech diver that swears by his Diverite fins and PooPoo's jet fins. JMO-M

DivesWithTurtles:
What is power?

Test after test seem to show that splits move divers faster than paddles, including Jets. ............................Or do you mean the Jets move you faster with less effort than splits?

I wouldn't know, I'm never in a hurry while on a dive. I've never tested fins for speed. Speed is not, IMO, a good method of testing fins. I have had to power my way against strong currents. I've stayed in the same place with Twin Jets in a current that would have been no problem in Lightning Jets.

pilot fish:
I think there is some confusion, at least by me, whether the ScubaPro jet fin and ScubaPro twin jets are the same type of fin?

Hi PF,
they are 2 very different "animals";
The "twin jets" are the split fins,with the black being the most stiff, the gray the least stiff (of the original colors-not sure about the yellow, blue, etc.)

The "jet fins" are not split. The "jets" are the vintage design with vents, ribs etc
(I think (?)that's what those parts are called.)

take care,
Mike

This is a Jet fin:

scpfj.jpg

This is a Twin Jet:

scpfft.jpg

Twins can be had in both full foot & open heel. Jets are open heel only.

fishb0y:
Not really, you need a paddle type fin, not a split fin.
Jetfins aren't splits.

I don't care for the Jets or their clones. I can enter a wreck without silting up anything.

Back
Top Bottom