why Jet Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was sorta tricky to learn. I never go in caves and I find it handy when I decide to not do something.
basically its like blowing rings or doing a wheelie on your bike.

scubapro50:
20 years from now those "split fins" will probably be decomposing in a trash pile somewhere forgotten along with horsecollar Bcs ..... The original design of the Jet fin will be with us forever ... I own a pair from 1968 and have replaced straps several times but with a little care and maintaince they will last another 20 years ....
Jets will be the twinkie, vienna sausage, cockroach of the dive world.
I hope mine get here soon so I can compare them to my Twins.

I love my jets, or at least I did before I lost one... Anyone need one jet fin? :wink:
My LDS keeps trying to get me to use splits, but when I used them in the pool, I felt like I was moving nowhere. I can see where smaller people would benefit from split fins, their legs don't do nearly as much work on dry land as mine do. My legs routinely carry 280 lbs, (sometimes at a run) so when weightless in the water, I can kick sheets of plywood! :D I'm going to buy new Jet's soon, and add the spring straps. That's only as an alternative to my Quattro's for current and such.
Jason

miked:
Hi PF,
they are 2 very different "animals";
The "twin jets" are the split fins,with the black being the most stiff, the gray the least stiff (of the original colors-not sure about the yellow, blue, etc.)

The "jet fins" are not split. The "jets" are the vintage design with vents, ribs etc
(I think (?)that's what those parts are called.)

take care,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I have the blue twin jets and recently had a problem with them against current. I was told I was using the wrong kick, which I think is correct.

Wayward Son:
This is a Jet fin:

scpfj.jpg

This is a Twin Jet:

scpfft.jpg

Twins can be had in both full foot & open heel. Jets are open heel only.

Now I know for sure. Thanks for that great visual. I think I see more twin jet splits now than jets

Twin jets are common in recreatonal dive settings because shops sell them for well over $100. You can get Jetfins on Ebay for less then $40. Guess which one the dive shop instructors recommend. :D

DivesWithTurtles:
What is power?

Test after test seem to show that splits move divers faster than paddles, including Jets. Splits don't exhibit the versatility and fine control attributed to Jets, and their fans do have good reason to use them. I'm not dissing Jets. But "power"? Do you mean, like, a cart without wheels is more powerful than one with wheels because it offers more resistance? Or do you mean the Jets move you faster with less effort than splits? That may be true for you, but that would differ from a mass of experience to the contrary.

I use both jetfins and twinjets, so I can give you some anecdotal evidence. I am part of a swiftwater rescue team along the Russian River in California. I have been testing out various fins for our team. So recently I did some testing in the river while we had some decent current. I tested swimming against the current, manuevering in the current, and the ease of getting back into our zodiac. In each area, the jetfin was far superior. The area I really noticed the difference was in getting into the boat. The twinfin didn't provide enough quick thrust to get me into the boat, with the jetfin it was easy.

I think one of the biggest problems with this issue is the one size fits all arguement. In a race, the twinjets will provide better speed and less leg strain. So they are a fine fin for relaxed vacation diving, which is what most people do. However for quick power and manueverability, the jets are great.

So in my humble opinion, pick the best tool for the job

MaxBottomtime:
Twin jets are common in recreatonal dive settings because shops sell them for well over $100. You can get Jetfins on Ebay for less then $40. Guess which one the dive shop instructors recommend. :D

I can get a pair of them on Ebay for less than $40? Is that pre-owned, used, or new? Does Larry at ScubaToys sell them? I'll have to check. Cool.

renpirate:
I use both jetfins and twinjets, so I can give you some anecdotal evidence. I am part of a swiftwater rescue team along the Russian River in California. I have been testing out various fins for our team. So recently I did some testing in the river while we had some decent current. I tested swimming against the current, manuevering in the current, and the ease of getting back into our zodiac. In each area, the jetfin was far superior. The area I really noticed the difference was in getting into the boat. The twinfin didn't provide enough quick thrust to get me into the boat, with the jetfin it was easy.

I think one of the biggest problems with this issue is the one size fits all arguement. In a race, the twinjets will provide better speed and less leg strain. So they are a fine fin for relaxed vacation diving, which is what most people do. However for quick power and manueverability, the jets are great.

So in my humble opinion, pick the best tool for the job

This post is really making me get a pair of jet fins. After struggling against current with my soft, blue twin jets I'm getting spooked with them.

Pyrofish:
I love my jets, or at least I did before I lost one... Anyone need one jet fin? :wink:
My LDS keeps trying to get me to use splits, but when I used them in the pool, I felt like I was moving nowhere. I can see where smaller people would benefit from split fins, their legs don't do nearly as much work on dry land as mine do. My legs routinely carry 280 lbs, (sometimes at a run) so when weightless in the water, I can kick sheets of plywood! :D I'm going to buy new Jet's soon, and add the spring straps. That's only as an alternative to my Quattro's for current and such.
Jason
Here is one, as in only one Jet fin for sale.
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCUBA-PRO-JET-F...ryZ16054QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom