Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point on the weight belt conflict. Significant weight belts, BP&W and ditchability (new word?) don't play nice together. Personally I have solved it with my DUI weight & trim even when diving wet. When wearing little weight the solutions begin to be less optimal. Also, weight harness for students would be costly but it would make weight adjustments so easy!

A BP&W does not need to have a darned on piece harness. I have shoulder releases and adjustments and it's very flexible. For extremes in body size hip ring placement and plate length could come into play.

I know some gear suppliers will seed rental/training gear at a big discount. Has the BP&W sector gone there yet?

Pete

A BP&W does not need to have a darned on piece harness. I have shoulder releases and adjustments and it's very flexible.

Pete

Then by definition it is not a Hogarthian set-up.....

*edit* though I have a continuous piece of webbing, I have it doubled over on itself over one shoulder, and a quick release clip attached through either end of this doubled-over bit, open it and you get more slack in the one piece webbing, but it is not strictly Hogarthian.

Who said a BP/W has to be hogarthian? That's just ignorant.

They're cheaper, modular, and easier to maintain. If they were standard, profit margins would take a hit.

I agree, but earlier folks were ragging on about how this is the Hogarthian forum :wink:

There is no reason why the BP/W can't be quickly adjustable. I have a Halcyon with the "cinch" system. I have even made minor adjustments to the shoulder straps at depth without taking it off, and in only a few seconds. My Primer instructor adjusted a couple of students crotch straps in the water, but that was a fine adjust.

I think that there are 2 reasons, both of which have been stated:

1) manufacturers would sell less equipment
2) people are slow to adapt to new ideas

Then by definition it is not a Hogarthian set-up..... ...//....

You're good.

One of your fellow Canadians (Doppler) taught me that the core of the Hogarthian system is:

Streamlined
Suitable
Simple
Serviced
Standard
Shared

Your countryman also indicated that the quick release, done as you so describe, is entirely acceptable. Maybe not DIR, but certainly within Hogarthian guidelines.

Re: if you change xyz then it's not DIR/Hog/Insert Label Here

Not to open a can of worms, but to me, if it still makes sense to design something a certain way, then I'm all for it. But if the dogma and label is getting in the way of taking something really good and building upon it then your stuck in the same rut that the rest of the industry that advocates the same old same old jacket designs.

...//... if the dogma and label is getting in the way of taking something really good and building upon it then your stuck in the same rut ...//...

Which is why I like the Hogarthian "standard".

-that should give W. H. Main a good laugh...

I have never met William Hogarth Main but I truly wish that he got one cent each time someone typed "Hog" or "Hogarthian" - it seems only fair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom