Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For openers, BP&W was MUCH less mainstream just 5 years ago and the body of traners and gear are not going to move in a flash. In this area there was not a single shop stocking or willing to sell one to me in 2005 as a new diver.

I agree that diving one is NO different, if it fits and that holds true for any form of BC.

For the novice diver it's an intimidating purchase. one one hand we say the options are infinite but they don't know the options. They can buy a standard package like DSS offers but then they wonder if they are leaving opportunities on the table. A lot of shop gear remains in service for many years and being bought and paid for is a very nice feature.

The one outfit I saw using BP&W was using the OMS comfort harness for ewasy configuration and he was an upstart with no legacy gear to offset. He coud do the gammut ages and body styles with 4 rigs for 4 students, he really liked it.

Pete

IMHO, this is the
primary
reason for the popularity of vests in beginning rec diving.

But it's only a problem in cold water. With small weight belts, it's easy.

I think instructors, and dive guides, might have a moment's pause about how easy it is to get a panicked diver out of a harness. It IS easy, if you are willing to cut the harness -- but who wants to end each day of diving, rewebbing harnesses? You can pop releases and get somebody quickly out of traditional gear.

If you look at the usefulness of equipment for people with stable temperaments and even modest diving skills, Hog gear works. If you turn around and look at the idea of people who haven't been in the water for five years, who want to do two dives off a cruise ship port, who are going to have to be watched the whole time they're in the water . . . well, a lot of things about the standard, jacket BC make sense.

I think it feeds back in the tourist diver rental gear market. Much easier to rent out jacket style BCDs than BPWs. Pick your size and.....

I think it feeds from the scuba manufacturing industry - much better to sell every dive center 5 BCDs (1x each XS, S, M, L, XL) each time, than 1 BP/W (1 size fits all).

Also, why does the scuba manufacturing industry want to promote sales of metal backplates, which never need replacing?

... or single-piece harnesses, which can be user replaced for $20 in 5 minutes...?

Heck, if the scuba training industry all went unilaterally to BP/W for lessons and rentals, that alone blow a big hole in most manufacturers profits... and then many of those students/rentees would go on to buy a BP/W for themselves.... a primary piece of kit that'd never need a total replacement...

People wonder why BP/W isn't promoted in the scuba industry...? Seriously?!?

I think DevonDiver is close to identifying a major hurdle -the manufacturers. I have heard that to keep certain big name brands in your shop you have to agree to purchase so much a year. If the folks making the tech rigs aren't requiring the same thing then guess what the sales staff is going to be encouraged to sell. It could be a factor.

The other major factor is the instructor cadre.

Ever heard the joke: "How many scuba instructors does it take to admit they don't know something?"

Sadly, I lie.... that's not a joke...

I think it feeds from the scuba manufacturing industry - much better to sell every dive center 5 BCDs (1x each XS, S, M, L, XL) each time, than 1 BP/W (1 size fits all).

Also, why does the scuba manufacturing industry want to promote sales of metal backplates, which never need replacing?

... or single-piece harnesses, which can be user replaced for $20 in 5 minutes...?

Heck, if the scuba training industry all went unilaterally to BP/W for lessons and rentals, that alone blow a big hole in most manufacturers profits... and then many of those students/rentees would go on to buy a BP/W for themselves.... a primary piece of kit that'd never need a total replacement...

People wonder why BP/W isn't promoted in the scuba industry...? Seriously?!?

Almost there, now finish off the complete picture.

Most companies consider making a profit after they pay their overhead. You got the employee's wages, insurances, management bonuses, and other expenses (employee benefits, shows, promotions, marketing, etc, etc.)

I just looked up a popular scuba brand (some folks hate them), and the company (publicly traded) that owns said scuba brand, made a 11% profit for the 3rd quarter. Now compare that to Apple's 25% profit. :crazyeye:

Traditional BCs are much simpler and require no laborious adjustment period when renting to a new person or handing over during a class.

That's pretty much the end of it.

Well, also remember that the career pro diving career of a scuba professional is round about 2 years. Most of the instructors you see getting churned through tropical resorts don't make a long term career out of it. That restricts the scope for changing ingrained practices.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom