Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:deadhorse:Please stop doing this.

Don't feed the trolls.

:whackt:

In common usage, ignorant means "ignorant." Only people ignorant of the meaning of ignorant understand ignorant to mean "stupid."

If you are reading an educated man's writing where he correctly uses the term ignorant and interpreting it to mean "stupid," then you're either an idiot yourself or you're deliberately misinterpreting the statement.

Inserting that word where it was not used originally, knowing fully well that it is commonly used as a slander, suggests a possible intent to put others down, that the original author may not have had in mind at all. Notice the original author chose another word. Possibly he might have recognized "ignorant" as provocative, and chose more wisely.

You seem to throw words like idiot and stupid around pretty easily. What is your intent?

What's the problem with this statement? Jarrod is saying that people misunderstand the DIR emphasis on standardization as being a criticism of other practices, which it is not . . . I think it's a very true statement, and doesn't reflect poorly on the author at all.
JJ is mistaken. It isn't standardization that is "frequently misunderstood" - it is the arrogance and the implication in the DIR term itself. Defining a standardized set of equipment and procedures as "Doing it Right" implies that anything else is "Doing it Wrong" or, at the very least "Not Doing it Right."
This irritates and aggravates many of us.
I proposed changing the name to the much less confrontational "Doing it Rite" a la "Dive Rite" as a "Rite" is a far more accurate term for any set of standardized equipment and procedures, but that's fallen on deaf ears. Clinging to the acronym in the face of the many and varied objections may be viewed as the "right" thing to do among its devotees, but I'll just stick with my floaty yellow hose and tow strap harness :)
Rick

JJ is mistaken. It isn't standardization that is "frequently misunderstood" - it is the arrogance and the implication in the DIR term itself. Defining a standardized set of equipment and procedures as "Doing it Right" implies that anything else is "Doing it Wrong" or, at the very least "Not Doing it Right."
I proposed changing the name to the much less confrontational "Doing it Rite" a la "Dive Rite" as a "Rite" is a far more accurate term for any set of standardized equipment and procedures, but that's fallen on deaf ears. Clinging to the acronym in the face of the many and varied objections may be viewed as the "right" thing to do among its devotees, but I'll just stick with my floaty yellow hose and tow strap harness :)
Rick

I prefer to think of DIR as having the pretext "one of the ways of", although the acronym OOTWODIR just doesn't have the same ring to it :)

That's an inference; the term doesn't imply it

It was directly stated that it's not right if it isn't hogarthian in GI3's article, but I've never seen Jarrod claim anything of the sort regarding his branding of DIR.

Besides...

I'm doing it right.
You're doing it right.
We're doing it differently.

I always surprised when such accomplished divers have seemingly thin skin with regards to what is frankly a silly term.

I have some NAUI training. I am neither irritated nor aggravated by PADI's marketing which says theirs is the way the world learns to dive. Nor do I believe that the slogan implies that other training agencies are otherworldly.

Seriously. It's silly. But hey, it sure generates page hits.

Rick

... and that is exactly what I meant by an unfortunate choice of marketing slogan. Human nature being what it is, there will always be a percentage of people who choose to take anything in the worst possible way ... getting offended just seems to have a aphrodesiac effect on some people (hence the popularity of entertainment in this country that serves no purpose other than making people offended or offensive to others).

It only implies you're "Doing it Wrong" if such an implication matters to you. Otherwise, it's just another meaningless slogan in an industry that's full of them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You know, we were discussing, although not very fruitfully, some specific wording in a chapter in a book. Opening the thread to a global condemnation of the attitude of DIR divers is not really, I think, where we want this to go. We have had THAT discussion more times than it even remotely deserves, I believe.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom