Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In common usage, ignorant means "ignorant." Only people ignorant of the meaning of ignorant understand ignorant to mean "stupid."

If you are reading an educated man's writing where he correctly uses the term ignorant and interpreting it to mean "stupid," then you're either an idiot yourself or you're deliberately misinterpreting the statement.

From the way "misunderstand" was interpreted as "ignorant" and the way ignorant was then used, my guess is that you see it as an indictment of a person's intelligence.

Your guess is incorrect. :)

Here's the essence of the issue: Had Jarrod said "because divers disagree, there can be tension," this whole conversation would not have taken place. Instead he says (paraphrasing), "because other divers misunderstand us, there is tension." That puts the onus for the misunderstanding on someone else and implies that you are right/they are wrong, vs. simply having different goals or ideas. That is judgment, and people don't like being judged.

You don't have to agree with me, but please don't mistake what I'm saying for a complaint or an issue with DIR/GUE. It's an observation about how human interaction works...or in that case fails.

Instead he says (paraphrasing), "because other divers misunderstand us, there is tension." That puts the onus for the misunderstanding on someone else and implies that you are right/they are wrong

No, it does not. It says that other divers don't understand. That's literally true. It doesn't say or imply that they are wrong.

It literally says that the reason for the tension is other divers' lack of understanding. It is literally logically impossible to read that statement as saying anyone is wrong. It says they don't understand.

If they understood and disagreed, there would be no tension. That would be fine. However, they don't understand and that creates tension.

No, it does not. It says that other divers don't understand. That's literally true. It doesn't say or imply that they are wrong.

So when as a teenager and you thought your parents misunderstood you, you didn't think they were wrong?

It literally says that the reason for the tension is other divers' lack of understanding. It is literally logically impossible to read that statement as saying anyone is wrong. It says they don't understand.

misunderstand.
Verb:
  1. Fail to interpret or understand (something) correctly.
Fail to understand correctly = understand incorrectly = wrong understanding.

If they understood and disagreed, there would be no tension. That would be fine. However, they don't understand and that creates tension.

Yeah, like Republicans vs. Democrats. Both sides say they understand. When they must be polite they say they disagree. When they don't need to be polite they say the other side misunderstands. There is always tension.

I disagree that disagreement lacks tension. :)

Last edited:
Failing to understand one method properly does not mean that any other method is wrong.

What is not being understood is the desire for standardizing within their group. Believing everyone within your group should follow a specific standard for the sake. Of safety and believing everyone in the world should follow that standard are two different things.

Failing to understand one method properly does not mean that any other method is wrong.

I agree. However, we weren't discussing whether any methods are wrong. We are discussing the source of tension between DIR and non-DIR divers.

-------------------------

What is not being understood is the desire for standardizing within their group. Believing everyone within your group should follow a specific standard for the sake of safety and believing everyone in the world should follow that standard are two different things.

What is the misunderstanding? I'm not being facetious.

I agree. However, we weren't discussing whether any methods are wrong. We are discussing the source of tension between DIR and non-DIR divers.

The source of tension between DIR and no-DIR divers is the Internet. In the real world ... where people have to deal with each other in person ... there is very little tension. People just show up and go diving ...

threeamigos.jpg

-------------------------

What is the misunderstanding? I'm not being facetious.

... the misunderstanding is that you think other people give a crap how you dive.

They don't ... not unless you're planning to dive with them, in which case they should give a crap ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well the source of tension in this thread is your apparent intentional misunderstanding of JJ's statement.

The source of tension between DIR and no-DIR divers is the Internet. In the real world ... where people have to deal with each other in person ... there is very little tension. People just show up and go diving ...

True for a lot of things, that. :)

... the misunderstanding is that you think other people give a crap how you dive.

Huh? Who is that directed at?

Well the source of tension in this thread is your apparent intentional misunderstanding of JJ's statement.

I think you are mistaking my analysis of JJ's writing style and the messages it does convey whether intended or not (i.e. my critique of what I have read of his writings) for a misunderstanding of his message. Those are very different things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom