Why is this not the standard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting take. My experience with humans consistently contradicts it though. ..//... .

Next time HR forces an analysis session on you, ask for Kepner Tragoe. -And hold on, skippy...

(While you are looking up KT, search on "hijack" too.)

---------- Post Merged at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:37 PM ----------

Oops, meant to say "skipper", nautical term of respect. No matter, -forget about it.

No.

The majority of divers have never been exposed to any other style.

For the reason I have stated, it simply does not have critical mass. It has little to do with the gear or the configuration. Pretty much Newton's first law.

Pete

Oops, meant to say "skipper", nautical term of respect. No matter, -forget about it.

LOL...and here I was trying to avoid (further) derailing the thread. :D

Skippy was good. :wink:

(HR already has me and every other manager above a certain level booked for a 4-session, 3-day-per-session monstrosity. :screwy: It's not KT though.)

Re: the thread: It's not the standard because there really is no standard. Shops carry what they know, which means manufacturers make what the shops know, which means that change is slow. Amusing side note from my switch to BP/W during OW: I don't think my instructor or either DM recognized my set-up except as a, "back-inflate travel BC of some sort." That shop probability has 200 OW students a year (estimate based on class frequency and observed size so probably wrong).

No, shops carry what they can afford. Each brand has it's own cost to become a deal, and amount of sales to keep a dealership. Some brands are WAY more expensive to get into than others.

No, shops carry what they can afford. Each brand has it's own cost to become a deal, and amount of sales to keep a dealership. Some brands are WAY more expensive to get into than others.

Even so, I have been in a several scubapro ADs and relatively few acknowledge the existence of or display the scubapro backplate systems (X-Tech?). So even where the shop caries a brand that sells BP/W, they don't sell them. I assume it is a familiarity issue at that point.

"Because DIR's insistence on standardization is frequently misunderstood"

Edit: I have deleted my post as it seems that I totally missed the point (and not for the first time).

Enjoy SB!

Last edited:
You aren't the first to complain about DIR/GUE, and you won't be the last.

Hi Crush.

Just a minor point, but I am not complaining about DIR/GUE. Never have, will not unless they both gain an obligation to me and fail to meet that obligation. I.e. unless they sell me some training and welch. Short of that, why would I? It has no force in my life, and no impact except that which I choose. It would be like complaining about a train derailing in India. Someone in India may have grounds to complain; I don't.

I have an opinion of course. That's different. You know what they say about opinions. :wink:

Getting back to the original topic, from which we have wandered far . . . It is amusing to me that a good many of our students, whether they came from the dive shop (where they learned in jackets) or from our private classes (where they learn in backplates and primary donate setups) have ended up in backplates and long hoses. We've been privileged to teach a good number of very intelligent, curious, thoughtful people. They have seen a variety of ways of doing things, and have adopted this one, because it WORKS. DIR or not, PADI or not, whatever . . . my favorite saying nowadays is, "We use the gear we use, because it WORKS". And a lot of students seem to come to that conclusion as well.

His word was misunderstand (or related - it's quoted a few times in this thread).

From the way "misunderstand" was interpreted as "ignorant" and the way ignorant was then used, my guess is that you see it as an indictment of a person's intelligence. It isn't. I am a reasonably bright guy, but I am ignorant of more than 99% of what happens in this world, and I misunderstand things regularly.

I think this sort of thing is a big factor in the topic.

When I started tech training, I had only seen a couple of bp/ws in my life, and no one in management in the shop had any experience at all. I have since moved to a different shop, and I just did an introduction to the gear and philosophy for a group of staff, not one of whom knew a thing about it. That is no indictment of them, and it shows why they haven't been selling the gear. Industry statistics indicate that bp/ws make up less than 1% of bcd sales in the US. There is no shame in being ignorant, and there is a good reason not to stock gear you don't think will sell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom