Why is domed bottom steel tank more popular than flat one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

55A66C27-FF79-4D0B-ABD2-BC053CDC321E.jpeg
Like the Queen song, round bottom tanks make the diving world go ‘round...something like that.
I thought it was flat bottomed girls?
Faber steel LP 50 cf's have a flat bottom. Buoyancy characteristics same as other Faber steel. No extra steel on the bottom. Wrong guess. :rofl3:
By Faber LP 50’s are round at the bottom.

They can? I've never seen a round bottom aluminum tank nor a flat bottom steel tank. I'm not a metallurgical engineer but I'm not sure your statement is correct. I'm open to being corrected but I've sure never seen any examples in my 15+ years of diving.

There are round bottom aluminum tanks. Arnold Jackson of American Underwater Lighting used to buy them all up to make DPV's for the Navy in the 80's and 90's using LiPO batteries. But I'm not supposed to know anything about that, LOL.

Faber steel LP 50 cf's have a flat bottom. Buoyancy characteristics same as other Faber steel. No extra steel on the bottom. Wrong guess. :rofl3:

Faber LP50's have a round bottom. I own 6 of them.

The following was found from a German Dive shop.

Diving bottles & compressed bottles for diving

“There are also tanks made of steel with a lenticular / flat bottom tanks . The so-called concave bottom of the bottle ,has the advantage that the scuba tank requires no additional plastic stand. In addition, the diving cylinders with a concave base by the special production as bottom of the bottle about 0,5 - 1,0 kg heavier. This can be an advantage for the diver.”

I wouldn’t say exactly more popular, but back when the Model T was in its heyday, was it more popular, or was it because there were so darned many built. It had more to do with manufacturing and cost, than what the consumer might want, outside of its function.

Faber LP50's have a round bottom. I own 6 of them.

You are absolutely correct. My bad. I put the boot on so long ago I forgot. Just looked in the boot with a flashlight. Round.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom