Why is domed bottom steel tank more popular than flat one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flat bottomed steal tanks are not uncommon in Europe.
Interesting, who makes them?

Honest question, since I can't remember ever seeing one of them. Granted, I mostly see Fabers and Eurocylinders, and I can't remember seeing flat bottom steels in either of their catalogs.

Round bottom singles usually have a boot, though. Which may explain a possible misunderstanding.

All this history and non-scuba stuff is interesting.....but there still seems to be no evidence other than hearsay for flat steel or round aluminum tanks for current purchase/use in scuba, anywhere.

All this history and non-scuba stuff is interesting.....but there still seems to be no evidence other than hearsay for flat steel or round aluminum tanks for current purchase/use in scuba, anywhere.
I think you are right. Anything MODERN is a flat bottom Aluminum or a round bottom steel.
The only concave steel would be large industrial cylinders.

Some engineering thoughts on the subject.... for what it’s worth!

A 80 Steel is significantly shorter than a 80 Aluminum. The additional volume of the 80 Aluminum over the 80 Stell is all aluminum, located in the tank wall and both ends (heads). This extra aluminum is structurally required, so an aluminum tank would have comparable strength & rupture/crack resistant to steel tanks.

The design of an aluminum scuba tank and managing tank rupture/crack resistance was likely a real challenge for pressure vessel design engineers. For example, the engineers had to compensate for the inevitable nicks in the side of an aluminum tank which would create stress risers, as a deep and/or sharpe nick would reduce the structural integrity of an aluminum tank. (That’s the reason there is a nick specification for aluminum tank annual inspections.) The extra mass of aluminum in aluminum tanks is there for good reason, otherwise aluminum tanks would be lighter..... thus the flat bottom.

The perfect shape for pressure vessel is a sphere. A cylindrical shape vessel with spheres on the end, like a scuba tank, is second best and inherently the optimum shape for the steel tank. Adding a dimpled concave bottom on a steel tank is structurally superior to a flat bottom, but doable, as we often see in industrial pressure vessel applications. If I was to guess, I’d say a spherical head tank would weigh less than a dimpled concave bottom tank.

(This is all based on equivalent pressure ratings of coarse.)

I haven't personally come across flat bottom steels or round bottom aluminum that I can think of so I'd suppose if they exist they are less popular because of ease of manufacturing. Also, a steel tank that had extra material to make the bottom flat would result in an excess of material and mass on the bottom (as compared with a normal tank) making the buoyancy characteristics of the tank quite horrible I guess.

Faber steel LP 50 cf's have a flat bottom. Buoyancy characteristics same as other Faber steel. No extra steel on the bottom. Wrong guess. :rofl3:

Faber steel LP 50 cf's have a flat bottom
What are these? My US Faber LP50s are the normal convex steel.

Concave is 'flat' enough for me, as I can stand them up without worry about a boot causing rust. Actually flat is interesting, and has a slightly wider base.
I'm also fine with my tank being a tad more balanced neck to bottom.

Not modern by any means, but I have a 1953 US Divers RENE Broxton Ave concave bottom steel tank. The concave tanks were used in the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea movie. There is a bit of a write up on them near the bottom of this page THE CHALKBOARD

Very interesting stuff Boiler_81. unobtainium? Love it!

A buddy of mine dives concave steel twins. You rarely see them here but they are available in various local dive shops.

Back
Top Bottom