Why is domed bottom steel tank more popular than flat one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While not a traditional "scuba tank",,,,most bank bottles are steel and flat bottomed. Some hold 6000psi.
Another reason for round bottoms vs flat bottoms is for weight savings. A round bottom distributes the pressure more evenly than a square flat bottom so less material is needed to achieve the desired strength. That also is why we have curved arches in bridges, similar concept.

I never considered bank bottles since we don't dive them but yes, they are flat on the bottom. Thank you for the reminder! A flat bottomed steel scuba tank would probably be crazy butt-heavy.

Now a round bottomed aluminum tank ... I'm not sure they exist.

Flat bottomed steal tanks are not uncommon in Europe. I recently learned about them myself. My understanding is that their center of gravity doesn't change as much when being drained compared to round bottomed cylinders available on the market today. Anyone knowing better, please correct me, as my knowledge/experience is thin on this topic.

They can? I've never seen a round bottom aluminum tank nor a flat bottom steel tank. I'm not a metallurgical engineer but I'm not sure your statement is correct. I'm open to being corrected but I've sure never seen any examples in my 15+ years of diving.
Steel welding tanks are flat on the bottom.

Flat (concave) bottom steel scuba tanks ... round bottom aluminum scuba tanks ... Learn new stuff all the time on ScubaBoard!

[ATTAC
upload_2020-4-22_5-30-22.png
H=full]581848[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-21_10-49-4.png
    upload_2020-4-21_10-49-4.png
    266.4 KB · Views: 36
If you watch "Silent World" by J.Y. Cousteau, you'll notice they were diving triple tanks, those were aluminium ones.

If you get to see a cut away of tanks the flat aluminum bottom is a lot thicker than the walls. The round bottom steel bottle is about the same thickness all over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom