Why is apeks the best regulator ever conceived by human mind???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do people want regs with manual controls, most Mares regs, and a lot of others have a bypass built in to stop free flows on entry and balance at depth????, BIG Proton fan!

will_tekkie:
obviously you did not understant the ideas behind it....i just want to say..that apeks is not the best.....its popularity is this forum is due mostly to the fact that DIR and tecs diver uses a lot because is a DIR regulator why???....well some people from GUE likes it....is cool to be a "DIR" diver... i was VERY surprised when in a thread a rookie diver asked on fins recommended..and several said JET fins!!!!!!!...before GUE nobody would said that....that fins are not the best for open water diving.....if you don believe me..just come to dive here..currents are VERY STRONG...this heavy and short fins are like a rubber dinosaur...

Actually!!! I got that part.

What is hog wash is the statement "they are the same inside" when refering to apex vs aqualung. That comment has been floating around here for ever. If you ever service the different regulators you will find them to be quite different and not the clones you once thought.

Hallmac

CRDiver, This site your link takes one to is GREAT!!! All the techno-babble and hard science experiment results one could think to ask for. The tests on the Scubapro MK10 & MK20 details the dew point of the breathing gas mixture used was -65.5 degrees F, or 23 ppm. From there, applying a little thermodynamics, the gas supply used can be seen as an element of the test regimen not seen as a variable, but it certainly is a factor (understandable when one is using a standard set of test criteria for more than one piece of equipment, whether of the same make / model or different makes / models). I wonder if that's the best the USN can do in breathing gas supply dehydration, or whether that's simply what someone wrote the breathing gas mil-spec to be . . . It certainly dovetails with the results showing better performance against freeze-up at 500 PSig supply pressure versus 1500 PSIG.

Now, if the same commercial scuba regulator makes / models were then tested at variable breathing gas supply moisture contents as well as different supply pressures to the first stages (for all brands / makes / models), I would think that would be of interest - but would probably need to be performed by a non-governmental agency that would have an interest in such testing.

Here's an article that ought to interest anyone asking about whether their first stages should be rendered O2 clean as well as O2 compatible for breathing mixtures enriched in O2, or those who switch the same first stage back and forth between Grade E air and enriched O2 mixtures to ponder on...

http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/fulc...searchid=10772414666282&submitbutton=Citation

will_tekkie:
these have been some of reasons i´ve choosen SP. i can´t understand why SP have not developed a new (top ofthe line) diaphram design ( dry sealed design included) which face the ATX200 line for example, for cold water diving...MK25AF design being good is no the best for cold water in my opinion..diaphram is a better design for these conditions. i´d been living in a cold country i´d use a apeks like design....MK25 VERY high flow and the cooling asociated to drop pressure ( as said DA Aquamaster in other thread) is showing probably the limit of this design for cold water even with TIS system and the others insulated methods applied...and cold water diving style (avoiding free flow, high tank pressure to reduce the pressure drop in the reg) are a must to follow..

i´ve been found interesting the reactions...some of them very logical...
From what i've been told the reason SP hasn't developed anything new is because they lost their top reg engineers. They left scubapro and started their own company and are now producing some great regulators. Maybe you've heard of them. ATOMIC

mempilot:
I choose to ignore the troll.
Then why bother posting?

I'd have to disagree. The Apeks and Aqualung designs are very similar inside. Granted that the parts aren't exactly the same, but recent Aqualung designs smell a lot like the Apeks designs. Aqualung on it's own had a nice set of diaphragm firsts so there wasn't much need to redesign them, but it's interesting to note that the Legend first now uses a single piece HP plug and has done away with the multiple-spring & spring block combination of all of their previous diaphragm first designs. Sounds like maybe a bit of Apeks influence there. And how can somebody not see that the new Aqualung seconds are rip-offs of Apeks? I mean, the whole valve mechanism looks the same, the venturi system is the same, and they even share exactly the same critical parts (the crown [AP2033] and seat [AP2034]) in the Titan LX and Legend series. These designs are unlike anything Aqualung has designed and conicidently appears just after the marriage of the two companies. Getting past the fact that they're not using EXACTLY the same parts (except in a few cases), they are not "quite different" but are, in fact, "quite similar."

Hallmac:
Actually!!! I got that part.

What is hog wash is the statement "they are the same inside" when refering to apex vs aqualung. That comment has been floating around here for ever. If you ever service the different regulators you will find them to be quite different and not the clones you once thought.

Hallmac

No big secret there. The Legend series had help from Apeks for the design, and Apeks made some of the parts...

SoScuba:
From what i've been told the reason SP hasn't developed anything new is because they lost their top reg engineers. They left scubapro and started their own company and are now producing some great regulators. Maybe you've heard of them. ATOMIC

Yes that´s true..i´ve heard about this some time ago..some engineers left Sp and founded Atomics aquatics...i don´t know ..but this was a long time ago...regulator design is something not as difficult to be development as a rocket engine or a aircraft wing for a fighter.....they can find a couple of japanese engineers (master of copying and improving) and release a NEW apeks like reg....maybe will be enough for diaphram fans... :bounce:

will_tekkie:
(snipped)...they can find a couple of japanese engineers (master of copying and improving) and release a NEW apeks like reg....maybe will be enough for diaphram fans... :bounce:

Well, they werent Japanese, but from the same general area (Asia), the designers and manufacturers of the Dive Rite regs...

Many people thought they were Apeks regs at first...

Its not only the design that is important, but also the materials used, and the assembly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom