Why is apeks the best regulator ever conceived by human mind???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaphod:
I'd have to disagree. The Apeks and Aqualung designs are very similar inside. Granted that the parts aren't exactly the same, but recent Aqualung designs smell a lot like the Apeks designs. Aqualung on it's own had a nice set of diaphragm firsts so there wasn't much need to redesign them, but it's interesting to note that the Legend first now uses a single piece HP plug and has done away with the multiple-spring & spring block combination of all of their previous diaphragm first designs. Sounds like maybe a bit of Apeks influence there. And how can somebody not see that the new Aqualung seconds are rip-offs of Apeks? I mean, the whole valve mechanism looks the same, the venturi system is the same, and they even share exactly the same critical parts (the crown [AP2033] and seat [AP2034]) in the Titan LX and Legend series. These designs are unlike anything Aqualung has designed and conicidently appears just after the marriage of the two companies. Getting past the fact that they're not using EXACTLY the same parts (except in a few cases), they are not "quite different" but are, in fact, "quite similar."

Take a look at the Beuchat high-end regulators.
If these guys aren’t made BY Apeks I’d really be surprised.

Truva

You must be surprised then...

What is this with people thinking that Apeks is making every reg on the planet???

LUBOLD8431:
You must be surprised then...

What is this with people thinking that Apeks is making every reg on the planet???

Well since the brass measures the same on the VX-10 as the DST and the DS4 measures the same as a VS-8. I don’t think I’d be surprised, I believe they also made the Zeagle something 50 or whatever it was/is called. AT the very least someone owns the design and doesn’t mind letting others manufacture it.

Truva

The Beuchat regs are made in France. The older Zeagle regs were made by Apeks, just rebadged as Zeagle.

The Balanced Diaphragm design is nothing new. Its been used by many manufacturers over the years. If you actually took the time to inspect the internal components of these regs, you would know that they are not the same...
You speak as though you know everything, however, many of your posts are incorrect...

LUBOLD8431:
The Beuchat regs are made in France. The older Zeagle regs were made by Apeks, just rebadged as Zeagle.

The Balanced Diaphragm design is nothing new. Its been used by many manufacturers over the years. If you actually took the time to inspect the internal components of these regs, you would know that they are not the same...
You speak as though you know everything, however, many of your posts are incorrect...

I do not mean to sound like I know everything. I am here to learn a few things not argue and sound like an authority on anything. I too see a lot of incorrect stuff on this board but that is to be found everywhere. And you are correct that the diaphragm style regulator is nothing new.

I took the time to measure the things, and if you knew what you seem to indicate you do, then you would see that the O-rings in these guys are the same sizes. This also is a good indicator that the metal parts are made from the same blueprint.

Of course this could just be coincidental is that what you are saying?

Truva

LUBOLD8431:
Well, they werent Japanese, but from the same general area (Asia), the designers and manufacturers of the Dive Rite regs...

Many people thought they were Apeks regs at first...

Its not only the design that is important, but also the materials used, and the assembly...

Lubold i´m not supporting any brand (specially diverite..i fact i dive mostly SP for the reasons i wrote before)....i just always began this thread looking for the reasons because the most people here is so repetive about their apeks regs claims...i like the innovations and the developments of new products..( the most diving gear is almost the same)...i´m sure in some years ahead other brand different than apeks will be the most popular...(this have happened several times in the past)..just remember the past leyend poseidon,it was the reg to be beaten....

As i said i can not understand the SP politics to aim all their effords to improve the cold water performance of the mk25..being a diafragm design better for this application..for water were freezing is not a concern piston regs have a lot to say....they have a simple construction and a huge flow capacity..are and were the best in time were the poor seat material made them more reliable than diafragm ones...(imagine a diafragm failure...) but due to the new materials develoments, diafragm is the current way followed for mostly manufacturers...not for acuba only...if we see the regulator market for natural gas, air supply for industry, even pressure control of water in our house they are tending to be rely on diafragm design mostly..

regulator engineering for scuba diving is relatively a minor mechanics compared with others brand of engineering so i´m sure if enough money and working minds works on this ..other and by far improved gear will see the sunlight...since the gagnan-cousteau reg the only true and revolucionary advance in scuba gear has been the dive computer ( some people can be though that BC´s have to be included as well.)....maybe the next will be a very old known..rebreathers...

I don't agree with engineering of scuba regulators being "simple" by its very nature, although that does seem to be the approach taken by some manufacturers and users.

If I were a high muckity-muck at Scubapro right now (or to be honest, Atomic Aquatics, Apeks, Aqua Lung or any other brand) I'd be hiring consulting firms to use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) as well as setting my own standards for compressed breathing gas supply quality depending on the dive conditions to be encountered.

Industrial regulators, where "size matters" only in terms of "will it fit in the piping", can make great use of large diaphragm diameters to produce many pounds force from a limited number of pounds per sqare inch pressure change (Will Tekkie, since you're in Europe, I'll leave the conversion to SI units as an exercise for the student . . . ). In scuba, what manufacturer today would you expect to be succesful whose design and marketing strategy might be "We have the most humongous diaphragm design on the planet! Cures "wing wrap" with bladder style BC's as it's a bigger pancake than the surface area of the wings!!!"

Rebreathers, to me, seem an application that literally screams for redundant microprocessor based monitoring and control, but I haven't explored that well enough yet to feel I can truly intelligently comment there.

I've also seen PLENTY of industrial diaphragm design regulators fail due to poor quality upstream high pressure gas supply - often in terms of moisture removal. Internal icing potential is first and foremost dependant on the upstream (higher pressure) gas supply characteristics, and amount of pressure reduction (delta pressure) that is occurring at the regulator. Wet air, wet natural gas, etc. -

Will Tekkie, I'm curious what industry you work in with your comments and observations on industrial regulators?

I'm waiting for DA Aquamaster to contact Messrs. Joule and Thompson to develop a signature line for me like Doppler has done for him . . .

Back
Top Bottom