Trip Report Why I Won't Be Returning to Cozumel-Part 1,2&3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Why do you want to put in an IV if you don't even know what's wrong yet?"

I am so glad I've never had to contend with you as a patient. IV access is your friend. Most especially if the situation is or could become an emergency, you need IV access. Hydration is your friend if you're being treated for DCS. I don't want an IV in my hand unless they can't establish access more proximally. Veins get smaller the farther they are toward the periphery. I'd appreciate your pointing out the major nerves near any of the superficial veins of the arm.

I and my loved ones have been treated at Medica San Miguel and at CostaMed. We've gotten great care. I mean, really great care. I had a kidney stone treated in Cozumel and one treated at each of two hospitals where I was on full-time staff at the respective times, and I'll take Cozumel (in my case, CostaMed) anytime.

Usually I'll read an entire thread before commenting, but... wow.

There are some days where I feel like a rock star, successful at the most complicated IV's. There are other days were I feel like a total moron and the patient shoots daggers out of their eyes. The IV gods are either smiling down on you, or punishing you with a vengeance. Most nurses will follow the rule of thumb "two strikes and your are out". After two unsuccessful attempts, the nurse should have recruited a co worker to take over the IV duties. I know people will ask what I expect out of a hospital outside of the US, but honestly, a hospital that promotes itself to the American tourists(English website), they should have done a better job with 1) the MD communicating with the patient about the need for an IV 2) a nurse who even with limited English skills should have presented himself in a more professional manner. Unless in a crisis situation, it is not only lazy, but poor technique to use the same IV needle for multiple insertions.

Why so many people are complaining about the DMs?!!! DMs are not diver's nannies!!! DMs are there to guide you through the dive, because they know the dive site. Each of the divers are responsible for their own life. You are supposed to be trained divers when you go out on a diving trip. I freaking hate to read about all the whining regarding DMs "responsabilities" that are not really theirs.

You dive, you setup, you plan based on the briefing, your knowledge, and your skills.
Read #44
Pathetic but serious condemnation of every dive guide in Mexico.
Everything was wrong except the OP!!!! LOL
Cozumel won't miss the OP at all.
I just feel sorry for the next destination that the OP might go!

Trip reports with strong opinions about treasured and known destinations will elicit response so that should not be a surprise.

However, I think the takeaway from this thread is that if you go to Cozumel, it's likely you will have to go to the hospital.

And to ask for Dr Piccolo

However, I think the takeaway from this thread is that if you go to Cozumel, it's likely you will have to go to the hospital.
That's a farfetched statement. Most don't.

Trip reports with strong opinions about treasured and known destinations will elicit response so that should not be a surprise.

And to ask for Dr Piccolo

I'm batting less than 20%. I got an IV, Oxygen and and great treatment. Plus, DAN paid for it.

BTW, my comment about the likelihood of going to the hospital was mostly meant to be facetious given the strong debate about the quality of medical care there but was based on my observation, as a luckily detached observer, that more than a few forum regulars reported having to go to the hospital there. I think their reasons for going usually had nothing to do with the location but it was just interesting that it worked out to happen during the short windows of their visits.

Nothing sinister and perhaps it is logical given the stress vacation prep can have but I thought an angle not many were thinking about.

Where is that, out of interest?
It is in a large sinkhole called Rock Lake on private property in Santa Rosa. It is NOT the more famous Blue Hole, which is only deep enough for introductory tech dives.

Back
Top Bottom