Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a solo diver who always dives with a pony, and a videographer who always dives with a camera, I've found that slinging a bottle often gets in the way when I am filming on the bottom (which I do most frequently). For that reason I have side mounted my pony so it does not shift while I am positioning to film. Such shifts can affect the steadiness of the video as well as stir up sediments that affect the image.

Just adding this since I know Catherine does video as well.

The basic Nitrox card (here in the US) certifies you up to 40%. Richer mixes are considered technical diving and you need the training. As someone else pointed out, hot mixes are for deco bottles, not pony bottles. You need 02 cleaned cylinders/regs to dive mixes over 40%. And you need the training!

*Sigh*

If there is any place on SB where the mindset should be "only YOU can think for you and only YOU can breathe for you" this forum should be it.

Catherine´s profile may or may not be up to date, maybe she was to lazy to add "advanced" to the cert title or any number of things that still leaves >40% ean as an alternative for her. She may even decide to get the training if she doesen´t have it (gasp!). I do not presume to know. I will hope that any decision she makes is informed and considered and I will not withold information or opinion on the assumtion that she won´t.

I´m done with this part of the discussion because it just feels like I´m : :banghead:

I´ve only done a little videoing with a stage but I haven´t noticed any problems...I know several "serious" videographers that dive with a "slung" bottle too...Once you´ve decided what (if any) pony you want to get, you can always try both ways and decide what works for you...

dherbman:
There's more testosterone than brains in this thread. Catherine, look what you've done. Now I know where ChrisCrash gets his motivation.
LOL

grazie42:
*Sigh*

If there is any place on SB where the mindset should be "only YOU can think for you and only YOU can breathe for you" this forum should be it.

I know Catheriine's qualifications, but other people read these boards too. Without the card, how would one get a 50% or greater Nitrox fill here?

redhat, just FYI....I have never been carded on Nitrox anywhere. Not that I am condoning it...I am just answering your question.

Perhaps they are more careful with higher concentrations, but anyway it is irrelevant really.

What people don't get, is that sometimes, you are having conversations and speaking in various hypotheticals....a reasonable person (I think i am) If someone says "if you wanted to do x, y, and z you would then have a good size pony for that function." Then I think "hmmm, that might be a good option" and then, if his method of pushing off the Nitrogen with higher concentrations of O2 appeals to me, then I can say to myself "self, better go figure out how before you do that". This is an entirely appropriate conversation, in my view. To "protect" people from the free exchange of ideas really irks me, which is why I am in this forum, an opt in.

We talk about what DM's or instructor's "do" around people who are not, I think we can handle a gas hypothetical without killing ourselves. The statement that "other people read this board" is annoying as well because he was gauging his answer towards me and made the obligatory disclaimer. When you read an answer on the board, who is having the discussion is part of the overall context....I don't go into cave diving and read Curt bowen talking to some cave diver and say "hey...I think I will give that a try this weekend..."

Having said that, I also thought Freediver's very direct input was worthy also...I value his input as well. The only problem is when peoples say "shhhhh, don't discuss that, someone may be listening!".

Yes, sometimes Yahoos post. And even that helps, because this is how the discerning diver learns to recognize yahoos. We need the freedom to have free exchanges.

I know Catheriine's qualifications, but other people read these boards too. Without the card, how would one get a 50% or greater Nitrox fill here?

It may seem as if I´m treating catherine as a "special case"...I don´t...not in that sense anyway :D

"other people" will just have to (gasp!) think for themselves...or not...as they choose...

I don´t know...I don´t live in "a state of disorder"...if people can score drugs in the US I´m gonna go out on a limb and suggest that they can get >50% nitrox as well...

Edit: I´m sorry if that came out "a bit rough"...this thread just gives me urges to start channeling jeffG :11:

catherine96821:
redhat, just FYI....I have never been carded on Nitrox anywhere.

Perhaps more careful with higher concentrations, but anyway it is irrelevant really.

What people don't get, is that sometimes, you are having conversations and speaking in various hypotheticals....a reasonable person (I think i am) If someone says if you wanted to do x., y, and z you would then have a good size pony for that function. Then i think "hmmm, that might be a good option" and then, if his method off pushing off the Nitrogen with higher concentrations of O2 appeals to me, then I can say to myself "self, better go figure out how before you do that". This is an entirely appropriate conversation, in my view. To "protect" people from the free exchange of ideas really irks me, which is why I am in this forum, an opt in.

We talk about what DM's or instructor's "do" around people you are not, I think we can handle a gas hypothetical without killing ourselves.

It's great to have an open exchange of ideas, but when some of the ideas expressed are trash, they need to be squashed. While I have no doubt you are able to sort the good from the bad, I feel that allowing the spew to go on unchecked is irresponsible.

This isn't the instructors forum, it's open to anyone who chooses to opt in.

grazie42:
this thread just gives me urges to start channeling jeffG :11:
Hey!

:wink:

catherine96821:
We talk about what DM's or instructor's "do" around people who are not, I think we can handle a gas hypothetical without killing ourselves.

Because I have a brand new technical diving cert I will not comment on this. But what DMs and instructors do is rec diving and 50% nitrox is tech diving and if you want to cross the line without training and can get a hot fill without the proper card, I don't care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom