Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42:
All decodives are planned with contingency for lost decogas...
whether you leave it or bring it depends on how willing you are to utilize it...
Given the choice, I would rather drop (or lose) a stage bottle filled with bottom gas, than a deco bottle.

Yes, the stage bottle will help you complete the long hang at 20' doing deco on the backgas, but the deco gas will avoid the long(er) hang altogether.

I think that we might be talking in circles and just using different terms.

do it easy:
Given the choice, I would rather drop (or lose) a stage bottle filled with bottom gas, than a deco bottle.

Depends on your contingency measures. On our wreck dives we dive from a boat. You have surface support, other divers in the water who are not doing long decos who can give messages through to the crew and a "Murphy" bottle of 50% hanging at 10 meters. In addition your gas planning includes thinking about what to do if you lose a stage of deco gas. In this situation, misplacing a stage would be expensive to replace but not necessarily dangerous.

Typically, wreck divers (at least the ones I know) don't carry stages of bottom gas unless they're diving *really* deep.

R..

Aren't you supposed to complete Extended Range before Advanced Wreck? And don't you need Advanced Wreck before penetrating wrecks with doubles and stages?

I can't believe I have become the voice of reason around here....

Originally Posted by redhatmama
Aren't you supposed to complete Extended Range before Advanced Wreck? And don't you need Advanced Wreck before penetrating wrecks with doubles and stages?

I can't believe I have become the voice of reason around here....

This is the solo-forum (in case you hadn´t noticed...)

All that would depend on the dive, agency, instructor and yourself...
I don´t really care what your agency calls a course or how many hoops it or your instructor makes you jump through...If I were to dive with you, I´d care about your skills and your personality, for the kind of dive we´re talking about I´d want to see you in the water myself before buddying with you.

I´m not sure what any of that has to do with the topic we´re discussing though so I´ll leave it at that...

I agree with Diver0001 (I seem to be saying that a lot lately...scary :wink: ) that using stages for wreckdiving is pretty uncommon here...
Most wreckdiving is fairly close to shore here so the SI is spent re-filling gas and such...often we only make one such dive/day anyway...

you guys, saying it is huge...and go in sideways, are you looking at the image where his fins are going through the hole? I barely fit.....the BLUE fins?...where the ladder is??

yea, okay, lay line that is no problem, I have one anyway.

RH, didn't you know photogs are special and have special exemptions? why do you think people get into photography, just to take pictures? (it is a special pass...to solo)

catherine, you just "dive in", head first...If the whole upper body can fit the hole "flat", then going head first from the side (90 dgr angle) with doubles, should be no problem...

I do agree that photographers are "special" :wink:

catherine96821:
RH, didn't you know photogs are special and have special exemptions? why do you think people get into photography, just to take pictures? (it is a special pass...to solo)

Your options for dive buds are pretty limited when you start shooting macro. That's when I started to solo.

grazie42:
This is the solo-forum (in case you hadn´t noticed...)

Yeah, you are right. I can't even remember how I got opted in to this forum since I never dive solo. Must have been CrishCrash. He's a legend....

dherbman:
Your options for dive buds are pretty limited when you start shooting macro. That's when I started to solo.

I know some damselfish that will dive with you... :evil:

Back
Top Bottom